Who has lost weight without restricting carbs?

Options
Just curious. My trainer at my gym is pushing low-carbs for weigh loss, he swears by it. I'm going to try it but part of me is skeptical about whether I can keep it up long term. Any thoughts?

Replies

• KEN1013
    KEN1013 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    good question!!!!:love:
  • liz3marie
    liz3marie Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    i have never tried a low carb diet...i always have done low calorie, and ive lost 50 lbs in 6 months doing that
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Me. I've never even attempted to do "low-carb" or any other mumbo jumbo "diet" plan.
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Low carb worked great for me when I did it but I knew I couldn't maintain it. If you know you wont maintain it, no sense in starting!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I have never watched my carbs and I'm down 64lbs since February. I think it's a personal preference thing...try it and if it doesn't work, try something else. Good luck!
  • Jones4177
    Jones4177 Posts: 136
    Options
    I basically eat what I want and just stay under calorie. I have cut out a lot of fast food but all in all, I just stay under my calorie intake and try to work out as much as possible.
  • mbmorse1011
    mbmorse1011 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I love pasta and bread to much to do it but I do restric myself how much I can have.
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I eat 100-150 6 days a week and as many as I want 1 day a week and have lost 33 pounds in 90 days.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    <--- this chick! :D
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost much, but what I've lost has been lost just by looking at calories.
    I can't have a meal without bread or crackers!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    <-- this girl too
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    i do a 60 carbs/20 protein and 20 fat though I don't always hit the fat ratio and I lose weight - not much to lose but do manage it on that _ i do need my carbs though as run and bike long (well when I'm able) but even on a no exercise bout like current I can sustain small losses and I'm well in my healthy weight range and low body fat.

I know a number of people that maintain high or normal carbs but eat good carbs and lose weight x
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    me

Me too.

And, now that I'm pregnant and eating way more carbs (and sugar, and whatever else I crave) than anyone should, I'm barley gaining weight. I'm 30 weeks and haven't even gained 15 pounds.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Major soap box for me! I do NOT restrict carbs I restrict the types of carbs I eat. I aim for as many veggies as I can handle, some (nor more than 2 servings/day) fruits, and very few whole grains. :flowerforyou:
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I don't watch my carbs and lose weight just fine.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Me :) Never been a fan of the whole low carb thing...
  • Macote
    Macote Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have tried to cut down on some of the carbs, but thats about it. I continue to drop a couple of pounds a week by going to the gym and keeping my total calorie count down.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    From the beginning of my summer cut which was last may until present day I have been dieting on relatively high carbs. He may swear by it personally but it really makes no difference your overall caloric intake is all that will determine whether you're gaining or losing fat/weight. My carbs are set to about 240g a day on a diet. I began at 205 in late april early may and am currently sitting at about 172lbs. As a side not I actually decreased protein and increased carbs about a month or so ago and it actually sped my weight loss results up. Don't always believe everything your told even if they have the title of PT in front of their name.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I think some people do better on that diet than others. My dad's diet is pretty much low carb 99% of the time and he looks great. At this point it's his lifestyle. I cannot live without bread, pasta, and lots of fruit, and so, while I try not to go overboard, I eat all of them. I could not sustain the low carb diet.
  • LindaJGill
    Options
    I think Health magazine has published a book called The Carb Lovers Diet. I think it gives recipes that meets the carb cravings, but have resistant starches. I think that means the carbs are healthier than donuts and Pop-tarts.