Who has lost weight without restricting carbs?

Options

Replies

• felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I love pasta and bread to much to do it but I do restric myself how much I can have.

I am with you! I did Atkins several years ago and did lose 40 pounds, but knew I could not cut out pasta and bread forever. Counting calories works better for me. I can still try a little of anything I want in moderation.
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I have not restricted one thing, only watch my portions and exercise...I have lost 60+ pounds in the last 9 months :)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I don't restrict my carbs, but I do try to choose wisely by selecting whole grain breads and pastas.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    MMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am usually over on carbs everyday (mainly due to fruit, veggies and dairy) but I have yet to have that stop my weight loss and maintenance.
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Me. There is no way I could go without bread and pasta. I do restrict it to whole wheat/grains now, but I still eat it.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I have done both and lost weight doing both. I prefer low carb tho! It keeps me accountable if I avoid breads, pastas and sugar! I do eat carbs but only about 100 grams a day and protein 130-140 a day! Plus, I have IBS and it seems to help my stomach when I avoid starchy carbs! I do 40% protein, 30 carb, 30 fat!

When I did a diet with carbs I lost (but not as fast) but the more carbs I ate the more I wanted!

My carbs come from fruits, potatoes, and brown rice......No breads or pasta or sugar (except natural sugar)

Regarless of what you choose, if you stick with it.....you will lose!

I cannot say it any better than this
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    <
    me.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I just stay in my caloric goals and don't restrict anything except soda.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Me.

My carb intake has decreased significantly, but I'm not doing low carb by any stretch of imagination. I'm simply eating less carbs because 1) I'm eating less of everything except protein, 2) I eat at least 100g protein per day, and 3) I have to accomplish the first two while staying at a caloric deficit.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I lost over 60 pounds since my top weight and I never tried low carbs. I needed one plan that would see me through til my last breath; I didn't want to have to reinvent the wheel after I lost weight. Although almost all of my carbs are from real food. I cut out sugar and white flour and refined grains. I did cut back on bread but added brown rice, quinoa, and oatmeal. Low fat Triscuits is my vice with only a couple of ingredients on the label and it is only whole grains. I never restricted fruit, nor would I.

My new challenge is following a plant based vegetarian plan that is: vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, and small amounts of whole grains. So in a sense I will now be restricting the carbs as in grains. My husband is a big carnivore, so to keep the peace, I'll eat his cooking on the weekends and keep stressing that I don't want any meat to him and see how that goes. Doing it for health reasons, mainly. It is a challenge to get in the veggies for nutrition, though.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    ME!! lol! I lost 135 pounds eating everything..just making better choices and listening to my body. I do focus on GOOD carbs as much as possible. Whole grains, etc. I can't deprive myself of any specific food..or I won't be able to continue to keep the weight off.

A big plate of pasta after a good workout sure hits the spot!!! :laugh:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I tried to do the low carb diet several yrs ago I lost a little bit of weight but it came back on as soon as i started eating normal. This time I just watch cals I dont worrry about carbs and I have lost 87 lbs......my son inlaw has done the low carb thing several times he looses alot of weight but as soon as he starts eating carbs the weight cames back.... It might work for some, but I am not a fan,...
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I basically eat what I want and just stay under calorie. I have cut out a lot of fast food but all in all, I just stay under my calorie intake and try to work out as much as possible.

I do the same as the above and am losing...26lbs. so far.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have restricted my carbs a little, but I've never gone low-carb. Basically I just adjusted my macros so that I'm trying for roughly equal amounts of carbs and protein. So in a sense, I've restricted carbs from what I had been eating.

I also try to pay attention to the types of carbs I'm eating and when, but I'm borderline hypoglycemic :)
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I EAT COMPLEX CARBS...
    DON'T REALLY PAY ATTENTION TO THE COUNT :)
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    There are many reputable doctors and studies that speak of the "dangers" of low carb diets.
    Unless you are diabetic, and on the advice of a licensed nutrtionist or dietician to watch carbs, there is really no sense to do so.

Eating complex carbohydrates is essential to the building blocks of your body. There is NO food that should be off limits.......and I think we've all learned that along the way.

I watch my intake of 'bad' carbs...........and have actually increased my whole grains and other carb sources.

I am not in this to 'diet', I am in this to LIVE it!!!!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I am not on low carb but I eat way less carbs than what I used to before I started to lose weight!
    One should be able to eat 1g of carbs per ever pound of lean body weight
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    i have seen several people on low carb diets just gain the weight back very fast...

its time for no diets and life changes...
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm skeptical of low-carb dieting. I've seen that it works for some people, but as a biologically minded person, the health risks - on a cellular level - involved with cutting cards completely are enough to make me stay away from it. The weight that I lost before I came to this site came largely from exercising. Also, significant changes from normal eating-habits (like cutting carbs or drinking shakes instead of eating solid food) can slow your metabolism, so when you add those things back into your life, you gain your weight back.