Asians trying to lose weight

Options

Replies

• a5sk1ck
    a5sk1ck Posts: 21
    Options
    I am an "Americanized" asian - asian face but American size. I have bigger frame, hands, shoes (size 9 American), boobs, hips and bootay. I have been one of the tallest person in my family since I was 11 years old.

Some cannot tell I am asian, I have been mistaken as Indian, Filipino, Mexican and Brazilian. I look like a generic brown person.

Indians and Filipinos are ASIANS. Mexicans and Brazilians aren't. LOL.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    It's so ironic sometimes when you're overweight and Asian. If you're offered a high calorie dish and refuse, you're then considered impolite and rude. But it's the dish that made you overweight and the same people who gave you the food harp on you being overweight. You can't win unless you're thin.

Completely agree!! My husband blames my mom for his weight gain! I keep telling him that my 4'11 Filipino mom didn't pin him down to shove food down his throat..but I can tell my mom this, he's too afraid to do so. Hahaha!
  • betternowthanlater
    betternowthanlater Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am an "Americanized" asian - asian face but American size. I have bigger frame, hands, shoes (size 9 American), boobs, hips and bootay. I have been one of the tallest person in my family since I was 11 years old.

Some cannot tell I am asian, I have been mistaken as Indian, Filipino, Mexican and Brazilian. I look like a generic brown person.

I was just reading your post. "generic brown person" I love when we all can speak about race openly. This is an interesting thread. Thanks for letting me read.
  • a5sk1ck
    a5sk1ck Posts: 21
    Options
    Non-Asian here with a question.
    How come all the Japanese people I work with sit at their desks all day eating candy bars and manage to stay thin?
    This isn't a generalization, its what I have seen in my 25+ years working with Japanese people.

thImpatientFootTap.gif
    Look under their desks. :laugh:
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I must've been the FATTEST Filipino ever. Standing at only 5'1, my heaviest was 237lbs and let me tell ya, I was very ROUND looking. Growing up my parents were always telling me to watch my weight blah blah blah and that didn't do anything but make me eat more. I freakin love food, especially food with tons of sodium- WE ASIANS :heart: OUR SOY SAUCE! It was disrespectful if we didn't eat what our parents made especially when we didn't have a lot of money to begin with. We were a family of 5 but my mom would make big batches of food. Whenever we'd go to a Filipino party the host would see empty plates and constantly ask you to get more..there was no "no thanks, I'm full" because that was being rude. You eat the whole time you're there! Now that I've started losing weight, my mom tells me not to starve myself- seriously?!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    heh, I'm Indian and have faith, nobody there calls you "fat" because they're asking "What the heck happened", they're asking because she think its a bad trait and you're a horrible person for letting yourself go.

The last time I was back home was in 2003, on my mother death. I was there for only a month. I was 200 lbs then (5 feet 9 inches male) and the comments ranged from "looks like you've been eating outside alot and not cooking home at all", "must be all those McDonalds" to asking my brother in front of me "Oh look at this bull blocking my way". The last comment was made while my mothers body was still in my house.

Gotta love us Asians. Who cares if a 19 years old boys mother is dead, lets berate him on how fat he is
  • ironmanwannabe
    ironmanwannabe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite thread so far because I can related to a lot of it. I am asian and I was always overweight (and not very active growing up). A close family friend would always announce how I had gained weight in front of everyone when we went to their house for dinner. (Right after she asked if I had a girlfriend yet). :blushing:

After graduating and working for a quite some time, I was laid off a couple of years ago. I weighed almost 200 lbs. On my frame that was noticeably overweight. I took that time to get my priorities in line. I started to exercise and lost over 20 lbs. I recently decided to try to lose another 12 lbs to get down to 165.

I had used the MFP app before but I had never been on the forums until recently. What a supportive group of people on the forums. Many of their stories are truly inspirational!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    heh, I'm Indian and have faith, nobody there calls you "fat" because they're asking "What the heck happened", they're asking because she think its a bad trait and you're a horrible person for letting yourself go.

The last time I was back home was in 2003, on my mother death. I was there for only a month. I was 200 lbs then (5 feet 9 inches male) and the comments ranged from "looks like you've been eating outside alot and not cooking home at all", "must be all those McDonalds" to asking my brother in front of me "Oh look at this bull blocking my way". The last comment was made while my mothers body was still in my house.

Gotta love us Asians. Who cares if a 19 years old boys mother is dead, lets berate him on how fat he is

Im Indian too. Growing up, i think it wasnt considered rude or hurtful at all to make fun of fat kids. They do it in the movies too. I guess things havent changed much, the last time i went back to India i heard plenty of "fat jokes" ...lol
  • cjr312
    cjr312 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you are saying! My mom is the same way! It's hard being 5'2 and not a toothpick when many Asian girls are, but we'll get there!!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Im Indian too. Growing up, i think it wasnt considered rude or hurtful at all to make fun of fat kids. They do it in the movies too. I guess things havent changed much, the last time i went back to India i heard plenty of "fat jokes" ...lol

lol in a culture where its rude to enter somebodys house with shoes on and rude to look at a woman directly, I think its rude to make such comments too however alot of folks let it go and thats where the problem lies
  • Hopelessbird
    Options

Indians and Filipinos are ASIANS. Mexicans and Brazilians aren't. LOL.

Ha! I blame the snack less afternoon. What throw some people off is my name is Portuguese.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

lol in a culture where its rude to enter somebodys house with shoes on and rude to look at a woman directly, I think its rude to make such comments too however alot of folks let it go and thats where the problem lies

I agree. A ton of hypocrisy added to selective polite/rude ways . Im going back in June for a month. Oh help.
  • cecejoy
    cecejoy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    kobayashi.jpg
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    5'1". Started at 160ish pounds and am now at 131lbs. Working toward 105-115lbs. :D
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    5'1". Started at 160ish pounds and am now at 131lbs. Working toward 105-115lbs. :D

Snap. Me too. I am 135lbs right now though and aiming for around the same. please-1.gif
  • gatorpdx
    gatorpdx Posts: 25
    Options
    As a large asian american.. I'm getting a kick out of this thread!

(because it's so true)
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options

Snap. Me too. I am 135lbs right now though and aiming for around the same. please-1.gif

Yay MFP twins!! :D
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Yes, i get comments from my family all the time. That's why I have started losing weight. A few months ago, I went back to Taiwan. I'm taiwanese, but both me and my mom have a really big frame. She's taller than all her relatives and bigger. Currently, I'm 5'6'' and 145 lbs. which is considered huge. I was constantly being told to go work out and lose weight and eat healthy. It is very bad, but it actually gives me motivation to lose weight. I'm currently trying to get down to 130lbs. at the very least.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    As someone who is "Korean on the inside" and lived in Korea as an undergrad, I totally feel the pain of Overweight people in Korea and East Asia ( and by overweight i mean bigger than a size 5 because that's what it means there).

-When the biggest size all clothing stores sell is medium
    -When you finally find something that might fit you but the store clerks refuse you to try it on since you might tear it like the hulk
    -When you go to the Jimjilbang and old Ajummas (old ladies) stare you down A) because your a foreigner, B) because you have Tattoos, and C) because you are bigger than a size medium.. god forbid.
    -And even if the clothes were the right size, they arent the right shape as hips boobs and butt don't exist there..

Aigoo..

Asia is brutal for the thinly challenged..