what can I put on my veggies?

Replies

• Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    My husband loves this: I cook with it but I dont eat it directly on food. So far, everyone that I know who has tried it, loves it. It makes it taste like bacon...LOL

http://www.baconsalt.com/
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    butter or olive oil. Just a bit goes a long long way and healthy fats are good for you.

Olive oil, okay. But since when does butter have healthy fats in it? Just one tablespoon has 7 grams of sat. fat in it...your daily intake should be no more than 10!

Saturated fats are not bad for you, dont believe the hype. Dont eat anything "fat free" that's the wrong path to take. Fat does not make one fat...
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Olive oil, garlic, basil, salt and pepper for an italian style veggie
    Olive oil, oregano, basil, garlic and pepper for greek
    Sesame oil, red pepper flakes and soy sauce for an asian flavor
    Miso, soy sauce and onions (great with eggplant, beans, etc)
    A dab of butter, salt and pepper
    Cumin, epazote, ancho chili powder to go Mexican

So many options. Go to a spice store like Penzey's and just ask them for ideas. :)
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    My kids hate broccoli, but they will down it like crazy if I just add some garlic salt or onion salt. Lemon pepper, Lawry's, pretty much any seasoning you like. I have a seasoning called Everglades that I like to use, too, on meat and veggies. It's strong, so you don't need much. You can't find it in grocery stores outside of Florida, but you can order it online at evergladesseasoning.com (they have an MSG-free version if you prefer it). A little of your favorite seasoning can go a long way toward making veggies more palatable. A touch of butter won't hurt either as long as you control the portion and don't go overboard. You do need some fats in your diet, and often when we are trying to eat healthy, it's easy to neglect that.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Here are some favorites of mine.

* Olive oil (I only use 1 tsp or so on my veggies, a little bit goes a long way) garlic powder, italian seasoning, cracked pepper, and sea salt. Great on most vegetables.

* Cajun seasoning and 1 tsp of canola oil (love this on spinach)

* Balsamic vinegar and 1 tsp of olive oil (great on cooked greens such as spinach and kale)

* Salsa (I do this on green beans sometimes)

* 1 tsp of olive oil and garlic or a squeeze of lemon.

* Low fat cheese is good on broccoli or cauliflower.

* Soy sauce mixed with a small amount of garlic powder or powdered ginger for an asian sauce. Great for stir fry types of veggies or broccoli.

BTW, I would not call butter a healthy fat due to the high levels of saturated fat. If using saturated fats, plant based ones like coconut oil are better for your body. However a small amount is good on veggies every now and then. Personally I rarely use butter on my veggies these days and stick to olive oil and canola oil mostly since they have mostly unsaturated fats which are better for your body.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    I use the low cal butter spray and a light sprinkle of fleur de sel
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    butter or olive oil. Just a bit goes a long long way and healthy fats are good for you.

Olive oil, okay. But since when does butter have healthy fats in it? Just one tablespoon has 7 grams of sat. fat in it...your daily intake should be no more than 10!

Saturated fats are not bad for you, dont believe the hype. Dont eat anything "fat free" that's the wrong path to take. Fat does not make one fat...

Saturated fats are not bad for you? Well, I guess my Masters in Dietetics and Nutrition was all hocus pocus then, because that's sure as hell not what the research states! But I'm sure you know much more about it than me.
  • kristelpoole
    SALSA!!!!! It bumps up the nutrition and flavor!!! But be careful with the high sodium content!

Make your own salsa! It's so easy and it can have zero sodium if you want. Just start with the basics of tomato, onion, cucumber and/or green pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, garlic and lime. Add some cumin and ancho chili powder if you want. So delicious!
  • Try roasting them instead, it brings out the natural sugars of the vegetables (especially if you let them get a little crispy). Just toss them in a little olive oil & salt and pepper, maybe some herbs, if you feel like it -- I also like to toss some nutritional yeast in there for extra vitamins. Throw them in the oven between 350 and 400F for about 1/2 an hour.
    Root vegetables you would want to cover at first, and then uncover for the last bit (they might take a bit longer than 1/2 an hour). But you can do cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, etc. uncovered (these are also really good tosed w/ a mixture of sesame oil and tamari and nutritional yeast before roasting) on a baking sheet -- parchment paper helps them to not burn to the pan and then you get the tasty caramel roasted veg bottoms.

I used to not like vegetables either, and part of it was the texture that steaming and boiling gives them. (Also, boiling removes most of the nutrients into the water, which kind of negates the point of eating vegetables...)

oh, and also I don't really like cooking and have found this is the fastest, least fussy way to make vegetables.
  • Mmmary212

Saturated fats are not bad for you? Well, I guess my Masters in Dietetics and Nutrition was all hocus pocus then, because that's sure as hell not what the research states! But I'm sure you know much more about it than me.

And much of what's taught is old and outdated information. Go ahead, eat low fat foods, I'll stick to my coconut oil that's chuck full of saturated fat. It makes me just so gosh darn happy!
  • kristelpoole
    Here's another option. Puree them. I did this last night:

1 head cauliflower
    3 fingerling yams
    1/4 yellow onion
    Almond milk
    Curry powder

Boil, strain (keep the stock it makes for something else or leave it in and make a soup), puree (I use an immersion blender but you can use a blender or processor), slowly add unsweetened plain almond milk a little at a time until smooth to your preference. Stir in a little salt and curry powder to taste.

Delicious.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Sriracha. Lots of it.

/thread.

=)
  • Mmmary212
    Here's another option. Puree them. I did this last night:

1 head cauliflower
    3 fingerling yams
    1/4 yellow onion
    Almond milk
    Curry powder

Boil, strain (keep the stock it makes for something else or leave it in and make a soup), puree (I use an immersion blender but you can use a blender or processor), slowly add unsweetened plain almond milk a little at a time until smooth to your preference. Stir in a little salt and curry powder to taste.

Delicious.

Now that sounds delicious!
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member

And much of what's taught is old and outdated information. Go ahead, eat low fat foods, I'll stick to my coconut oil that's chuck full of saturated fat. It makes me just so gosh darn happy!

I never said anything about low fat. Maybe you should learn to read a little better. I said that the fat in butter is not good fat, which is what someone earlier stated. I love coconut oil, I use it all the time. The saturated fats from coconut oil are (obviously) plant-derived. They are metabolized completely different than the saturated fats that are animal-derived, such as butter. Replacing animal-derived saturated fats with those that are plant derived because your body can actually metabolize the plant-derivitaves. So maybe you should do some more research before spouting off your "opinions". And by the way, if information was old and outdated that people who go to school are taught, then why do I have to take continual courses EVERY YEAR and get certified every five years so that I'm up to date on new scientific studies and research?
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    AMEN!!! moderation my friend. Parmesean is great too.
    Friends don't let friends eat vegetables without butter. Use butter.
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    We like the various flavors of Mrs. Dash. We watch our sodium intake, so these add lots of flavor and no sodium!
  • mamaw53
    mamaw53 Posts: 71
    My veggies love Maple Grove Farms of Vermont, Fat Free Vidalia Onion dressing! Very yummy!
  • Oh and low fat or reduced fat or fat free italian dressing (like for salads) is also delicious on veggies. I love it!
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    We like the various flavors of Mrs. Dash. We watch our sodium intake, so these add lots of flavor and no sodium!

Mrs. Dash is great on veggies, forgot about that. I like the extra spicy Mrs. Dash on my corn. Tastes really good that way.
  • I can't bleive it's not butter Spray and chicken Bovril powder