what can I put on my veggies?

Replies

• krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    try cream cheese! low fat or fat free...
    its the best on broccoli or cauliflower. but i also eat it on steamed peppers or carrots. :)

also parmesan cheese is good on broccoli and cauliflower.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    butter or olive oil. Just a bit goes a long long way and healthy fats are good for you.

Olive oil, okay. But since when does butter have healthy fats in it? Just one tablespoon has 7 grams of sat. fat in it...your daily intake should be no more than 10!

Saturated fats are not bad for you, dont believe the hype. Dont eat anything "fat free" that's the wrong path to take. Fat does not make one fat...

Saturated fats are not bad for you? Well, I guess my Masters in Dietetics and Nutrition was all hocus pocus then, because that's sure as hell not what the research states! But I'm sure you know much more about it than me.

And much of what's taught is old and outdated information. Go ahead, eat low fat foods, I'll stick to my coconut oil that's chuck full of saturated fat. It makes me just so gosh darn happy!

I never said anything about low fat. Maybe you should learn to read a little better. I said that the fat in butter is not good fat, which is what someone earlier stated. I love coconut oil, I use it all the time. The saturated fats from coconut oil are (obviously) plant-derived. They are metabolized completely different than the saturated fats that are animal-derived, such as butter. Replacing animal-derived saturated fats with those that are plant derived because your body can actually metabolize the plant-derivitaves. So maybe you should do some more research before spouting off your "opinions". And by the way, if information was old and outdated that people who go to school are taught, then why do I have to take continual courses EVERY YEAR and get certified every five years so that I'm up to date on new scientific studies and research?

**people were suggesting "low fat options" geeze, just trying to help. But animal fats are not bad for you either...... But I understand why people believe they are. That's okay,.....slowly but surely things will change. It's not my opinion. But proceed.

Eat your veggies with vinegar. There's a low calorie, low carb option.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    butter or olive oil. Just a bit goes a long long way and healthy fats are good for you.

Olive oil, okay. But since when does butter have healthy fats in it? Just one tablespoon has 7 grams of sat. fat in it...your daily intake should be no more than 10!

Saturated fat is healthy for us. It is not the enemy that has been portrayed for all these years.

Some educational reading, all written by Doctors that are well known for their research.

http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/04/06/saturated_fat_the_misunderstood_nutrient#axzz0zknkn0yT

http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/nutrition/saturated_fat.htm

http://www.health-report.co.uk/saturated_fats_health_benefits.htm
  • Mmmary212
    AMEN!!! moderation my friend. Parmesean is great too.
    Friends don't let friends eat vegetables without butter. Use butter.

No moderation for me....the more fat the better.
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    TRY MRS. DASH SPICES. THEY ARE SALT FREE MY FAV IS SOMETHING LIME ITS GOOD
  • Mmmary212

Saturated fat is healthy for us. It is not the enemy that has been portrayed for all these years.

Some educational reading, all written by Doctors that are well known for their research.

http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/04/06/saturated_fat_the_misunderstood_nutrient#axzz0zknkn0yT

http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/nutrition/saturated_fat.htm

http://www.health-report.co.uk/saturated_fats_health_benefits.htm

I knew it was a matter of time Grokette, my friend. :)
  • Grokette

Saturated fats are not bad for you, dont believe the hype. Dont eat anything "fat free" that's the wrong path to take. Fat does not make one fat...

Saturated fats are not bad for you? Well, I guess my Masters in Dietetics and Nutrition was all hocus pocus then, because that's sure as hell not what the research states! But I'm sure you know much more about it than me.

And much of what's taught is old and outdated information. Go ahead, eat low fat foods, I'll stick to my coconut oil that's chuck full of saturated fat. It makes me just so gosh darn happy!

I never said anything about low fat. Maybe you should learn to read a little better. I said that the fat in butter is not good fat, which is what someone earlier stated. I love coconut oil, I use it all the time. The saturated fats from coconut oil are (obviously) plant-derived. They are metabolized completely different than the saturated fats that are animal-derived, such as butter. Replacing animal-derived saturated fats with those that are plant derived because your body can actually metabolize the plant-derivitaves. So maybe you should do some more research before spouting off your "opinions". And by the way, if information was old and outdated that people who go to school are taught, then why do I have to take continual courses EVERY YEAR and get certified every five years so that I'm up to date on new scientific studies and research?

Coconut oil is a Medium chain fatty acid and saturated fats from animals are long chained fatty acids.

BOTH are healthy for us and actually are not metabolized differently. The Polyunsaturated vegetable oils (margarine, Canola, other vegetable oils) however are NOT healthy for us.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Light philadelphia with garlic and herbs - it's so good with steamed leeks, spinach, fine beans etc.

Garlic salt/Garlic pepper/Garlic granules.

Garlic olive oil (can you tell i am a huge fan of garlic-izing my veggies?)

Sauteed lean bacon or ham or some finely chopped chorizo, then mix the steamed veggies into the pan.

Chopped spring onions/scallions, sauteed in rapeseed or olive oil.

love love love these suggestions. I am the biggest fan of extra light philidelphia. or philideplpha with herbs or black pepper. It's like a creamy cheesy sauce but better for you! It's basically low fat, low cal soft cream cheese spread. Yummy!!! I use a little bit of chilli oil or schwartz spices. Loving the chorizo idea, may use that, have heard of it and it sounds yummy!!!
  • Grokette

Actually if you are taught Nutrition from a main stream University - yes the information given is old, outdated and if it is new research then it is funded by the government and companies like Monsanto where they are pushing for people to use rancid and has to be highly processed to even be remotely edible.

I will continue to eat coconut oil and butter as both are able to be eaten with no processing.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member

**people were suggesting "low fat options" geeze, just trying to help. But animal fats are not bad for you either...... But I understand why people believe they are. That's okay,.....slowly but surely things will change. It's not my opinion. But proceed.

Slowly but surely things will change? What "things" are you speaking of? Like I said, I NEVER said that fats are bad, which you quoted me as saying. But there IS a definitive difference between "good" and "bad" fats. Fat is essential to your body's well-being. And I also didn't say that animal fats are "bad", but I said that they should be kept as a minimal part of your diet...less than 10g a day...unless you're aching for a heart-attack or coronary cancers, in which case, eat it up!

But, I'm very curious as to what you think "needs to change"?? Because you really aren't making any sense whatsoever.

Also, can you show me the most current medical journal that is peer-reviewed that states that animal-derived saturated fats are "healthy"?? I'm very interested. Thank you.
  • voluptuous_veggie

Coconut oil is a Medium chain fatty acid and saturated fats from animals are long chained fatty acids.

BOTH are healthy for us and actually are not metabolized differently. The Polyunsaturated vegetable oils (margarine, Canola, other vegetable oils) however are NOT healthy for us.

Wow, the intelligent folks who only read what they want to are out in full force today, I see. Just when did I ever say that polyunsaturated vegetable oils are healthy?
  • voluptuous_veggie

Actually if you are taught Nutrition from a main stream University - yes the information given is old, outdated and if it is new research then it is funded by the government and companies like Monsanto where they are pushing for people to use rancid and has to be highly processed to even be remotely edible.

I will continue to eat coconut oil and butter as both are able to be eaten with no processing.

Really? Because I never ONCE had a professor who had ANY nice words about Monsanto OR the USDA/FDA. Were YOU in my courses? Did YOU go to school with me? Did YOU study and research all the medical texts that I did? Yeah, I didn't think so.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Oh my GOODNESS this is one of the best threads ever.

I thought I had loads of idea already, but you guys have given me tonnes more.

I am more inspired than ever.

Luckily I love vegetables already - never plain though and this proves there are so many ways to mix it up every night of the week.

Brilliant stuff :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I like very few vegetables steamed or boiled. I roast or stir fry most of mine w olive oil and spices. Steamed broccoli is an exception. I love that. But I cook it with garlic and drizzle olive oil over it before serviing.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I mix olive oil and balsamic vinegar in spray bottle and give my veggies a few sprays.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the new Mrs. Dash southwest and caribbean seasonings. Made fajitas last night and instead of using a high sodium packet, just added a tb of coconut oil and a tsp of caribbean citrus. SO GOOD!

Hidden Valley light ranch is a great topper for cooked OR raw
    parmesan and a spray of butter
    balsamic vinegar and some Good Seasons dressing powder
    butter.. REAL unsalted butter can't be beat
    a little cheddar melted
    cream of mushroom, cheddar or broccoli soup
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

Yes, you certainly sound very happy. If anygry = happy, that is. It's completely possible to limit saturated fat without eating low fat?
  • Mmmary212

Slowly but surely things will change? What "things" are you speaking of? Like I said, I NEVER said that fats are bad, which you quoted me as saying. But there IS a definitive difference between "good" and "bad" fats. Fat is essential to your body's well-being. And I also didn't say that animal fats are "bad", but I said that they should be kept as a minimal part of your diet...less than 10g a day...unless you're aching for a heart-attack or coronary cancers, in which case, eat it up!

But, I'm very curious as to what you think "needs to change"?? Because you really aren't making any sense whatsoever.

Also, can you show me the most current medical journal that is peer-reviewed that states that animal-derived saturated fats are "healthy"?? I'm very interested. Thank you.

I wasn't responding to just you, but others who also popped up about fats. There's lots of people here responding too.

Changes: The eating higher fat is actually good for you mentality. We're in a "low fat" diet nation, with people who fear fats. I opt for a high fat diet...triple digits. Never been healthier.

Grokette's left some links.

and you're welcome.
  • Mmmary212

Really? Because I never ONCE had a professor who had ANY nice words about Monsanto OR the USDA/FDA. Were YOU in my courses? Did YOU go to school with me? Did YOU study and research all the medical texts that I did? Yeah, I didn't think so.

You're really defensive. :(
  • Mmmary212

Yes, you certainly sound very happy. If anygry = happy, that is. It's completely possible to limit saturated fat without eating low fat?

You got an angry tone from that? lol