Truth or Myth about the potatoe?

124»

Replies

• lalinzki
    lalinzki Posts: 121
    This is one of the main reasons I had to ask this question about potatoes, also if someone else knows what about boneless pork chops?, I know they are totally different but that is one of the other question I wanted to ask but I don't want to make another topic. To everybody thanks so much for putting the time and effort for the input and links provided. I will look into all of them :):wink:

I would take much less concern over whether or not a specific food is good or bad. I would recommend that instead, you focus on hitting your calorie and macronutrient goal, and within that goal, select "mostly" whole foods like meats/fish/vegetables/fruits/etc. Occasionally eat things you don't think are great for you too if you want, like junk food--- just don't make it the main ingredient in your diet and I would speculate that you will be just fine.
    I'm asking because now a days everything is bad for you, well almost..but I will not let it concern me too much thanks
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Not spelled with an e unless plural.:wink:
    and even with diabetes, you can enjoy potatoes in the right proportion.
  • lalinzki
    lalinzki Posts: 121
    Not spelled with an e.:wink:
    ?? Did I misspell :(
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Potatoes are not bad for you.
    They are about 70 calories an ounce and help fill you up.
    indeed...
    However, if you dump a pile of butter on them or fry them in oil they will become bad for you. Its not the potato that's bad its what you do with it.
    why is is BAD to have butter with potatoes or to fry them?

It's not the potato that is bad... it's not even how you cook them... it's eating them (or any other food stuff for that matter) in excess that is ultimately not going to do you any favours in the long run.

I enjoy potatoes about 2-3 times a week... potato croquettes, mustard mash potatoes with garlic butter, roast potatoes, etc. Yes it's my choice... but it's not necessarily a BAD choice.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Insulin spike after eating a meal != insulin resistance.

Insulin spikes are perfectly normal after eating, and protein can spike insulin levels just as much (and sometimes more) than carbohydrates. Insulin is an appetite suppressor, which is why you don't feel hungry after eating.

People who say carbs make you hungry, there is a good reason for that, but it has nothing to do with an insulin spike. Carbs are processed and used for energy immediately by the body. Protein and fats are stored. So if you eat a high carb meal, with very little protein and fat, your body burns through the carbs, and once the carbs are gone, the body asks for more fuel, because it didn't have anything it could save for later. That's why balancing the macros are important.