Boy Parts & Girl Parts

Options
1235»

Replies

• brianward81
    brianward81 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    We were told by a family friend/police officer who tracks sex offenders that using the real terms for body parts is a good idea with children because for a pedofile it makes the child seem adult and therefore less sexually appealing. Also there can be no confusion with doctors or teacher or other care providers about what your child is talking about if they use the proper body part names.

This is exact reason is why we make sure we say the correct terms. I was trying to write how to explain it but it just looked weird, thanks for clarifying it. My wife is a teacher and had a professional development course talk that centred on this issue.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    My daughter is ten an we just call it her privates. Although she does know the proper name. My son is 8 and calls his a penis. But he also calls it his "middle" as in, Ouch, I got hit in the middle!
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey Folks,

Just a quick word about why I'm NOT (I repeat NOT) locking this topic.

New guidelines will be rolling out soon that add some clarity to the legitimacy of this sort of post. Here's a sneak-preview of our thinking on the topic:

"We reserve the right to moderate a topic based on the intent of the sexual material it contains. Topics intended to titillate will be removed. Topics with medical or clinical themes related to sex or sexual health may be permitted, at our discretion."

I don't see a problem with discussing anatomy on the boards, especially in regards to parenting. Please do just as you're doing and refrain from steering into sexual innuendo, and all should be fine.

Thanks!
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    If you prefer to not call them by their anatomical names .. then why differentiate at all? A child at 3 thinks in terms of 1 or maybe 2 dimensions...very simplistic. No harm and no real pressing need to offer any explanation to the difference in the sexes at all, until he is old enough to know there is supposed to be a difference.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    We were told by a family friend/police officer who tracks sex offenders that using the real terms for body parts is a good idea with children because for a pedofile it makes the child seem adult and therefore less sexually appealing. Also there can be no confusion with doctors or teacher or other care providers about what your child is talking about if they use the proper body part names.

This is exact reason is why we make sure we say the correct terms. I was trying to write how to explain it but it just looked weird, thanks for clarifying it. My wife is a teacher and had a professional development course talk that centred on this issue.

Yes, that's why we went with the anatomical names too. We also went with it because we hoped to remove some of the shame and stigma from those words for our kids. I know that even talking to my gynecologist was difficult for years because I couldn't bring myself to say the word "vagina" or any of the other parts we needed to discuss. And it's silly. They're just words. I'd rather my kids say penis and vagina than some of the other more colorful terminology you hear thrown around the playground these days.