*Serious subject* - Protection while walk/jog/running in you

Options
By the way it's supposed to say "in your neighborhood" but I ran out of room...

:noway: ***DISCLAIMER***!!!!!!! :noway:

PLEASE!!! If you are one of those people who feel so confident enough to w/j/r (walk/jog/run) in your neighborhood or around where you live WITHOUT any sort of personal protection, DO NOT POST SO HERE. It's not because I don't want to hear your side of the story, or I'm a big meany booger head. It's because whether you believe it or not, there's predators who could have access to these boards and could seek out those of us who are unprepared to defend ourselves. SO FOR YOUR SAFETY, if your comment would be along those lines, feel free to keep it to yourself.

Now...

With that being said, I am a firm believer in protection and self-defense. I have studied self-defense and I have used it in at least one situation. (He ended up with a broken nose and two black eyes.) When I go w/j/r, I generally have 1 to 3 weapons on me at any given time. My favorite is my trusty 26" ASP (for... ahem... "whacking away at loose dogs" - something my cop husband has drilled into my head in case another cop should see me and question me for carrying something... questionable) and I have two knives as backups. I don't always have all 3, but at least 2 keep me comfortable. I have also been told I am getting something for Christmas that comes in a small package and makes loud pops, yay for me!

The point of this is: if you are going to be putting yourself out there, regardless of the time of day, you need to have some sense of self-preservation and bring along a friend who whacks, zaps, cuts, and/or bangs and you need to have the proper training and certification/licensing to carry those friends. I'm not preaching, but I just read an article about a guy charged with 15 murders who lived 5 miles from my neighborhood. Linkage: http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Security-guard-called-predator-charged-in-2227974.php

I wanted to put this thread out there not only as a warning to those who might be naive enough to go without, but also to get ideas and input from others about defense items we love or love to hate. I'm just soooooooo looking forward to my Christmas present.

Happy cardio-ing. :wink:

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Very informative post! I'm glad to hear you are safe. I have never gone out walking alone before, but I know if I did I would not go unprotected, especially after hearing this. You never know who's lurking in your neighborhood.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Are you really encouraging people to go run with guns and knives?
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Very interesting post. In a good way!!

I'll be interested to see some of the responses. My husband has his CCW, but he doesn't carry when he runs, mainly because he doesn't have a good holster he could run with. I usually don't carry anything, just because I don't know what I'd carry or where I'd put it, and I know I'm not trained to use any sort of weapon, so it would probably just get used on me if I ever tried. I never run in the dark by myself, and I always run in the safer parts of town. If it is dark, I'm always with at least one other person.

Thanks for posting!! Maybe I can get some good ideas!!
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    This is a goo topic that should be reviewed. I personally carry my .40 Cal every where I go. I learned how to jog with it concealed.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Glock 27, always goes with me.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Mace and a big dog, people cross the street when they see us, including the guys with MS13 neck tattoos.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

Why not??
  • jillybeanruns
    Options
    And apparently, I'm naive as I run without a gun or a knife. GASP. I have pepper spray but seldom bring it along. Maybe you just need to work on your speed so you can get away?
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

Are you naive enough in these days to think that's a bad idea?

OK. You redeemed yourself a lil with pepper spray. :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I run during daylight.
  • lwhitman4
    lwhitman4 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

I'm encouraging people to be safe. I wouldn't advise doing anything that anyone is unprepared for, but I carry what I have been trained with. My prerogative. I just know that there's been a ton of cases of abductions/injuries/assaults/rapes/murders in my area and I don't want to be a victim.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the best defense - being aware of your surroundings!!! (Not saying any of you aren't, just reminding people to pay attention, it can prevent a lot of mayhem.)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    They make very small, travel size cans of mace/bear repellant these days. I don't see the harm in carrying one in your (I mean anyone reading this) running belt. I mean you're running, right? Spray & run like HELL! Making lots of noise along the way.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

I'm encouraging people to be safe. I wouldn't advise doing anything that anyone is unprepared for, but I carry what I have been trained with. My prerogative. I just know that there's been a ton of cases of abductions/injuries/assaults/rapes/murders in my area and I don't want to be a victim.

Yeah, I live in an area with a lot of gang activity, a SERIOUS gang that has the FBI up their hiney. They've killed federal witnesses and they kidnap women and sell them.
  • lwhitman4
    lwhitman4 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the best defense - being aware of your surroundings!!! (Not saying any of you aren't, just reminding people to pay attention, it can prevent a lot of mayhem.)

Thank you - that's probably your best line of defense. Dang wish I thought to mention that. I can't recall how many times I've jogged past a parked car and crossed the road to be on the other side in case there was a lurker.
  • FireMama_24
    FireMama_24 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It is so true. I am a dispatcher for my hometown police dept and they guys always making sure we even walk out of the back of the police dept to our cars okay. I think that personal protection is key if you are going to be workout outside (even if it is in your neighborhood). This is a great post and hopefully everyone takes it to heart.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I think it would more important to be aware of your surrounding while you run. No use in carrying anything if you don't hear the person running up on you from behind.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Good post!
  • jillybeanruns
    Options

Yeah, I live in an area with a lot of gang activity, a SERIOUS gang that has the FBI up their hiney. They've killed federal witnesses and they kidnap women and sell them.

Then it's probably advisable for you to move or not run in your neighborhood. Running with a gun is probably not going to help you if they're that organized and high profile, just saying.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    A 26" ASP? Am I only one picturing you running with a large snake?