5k times?

Options
124»

Replies

• chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K about 3 years ago. My goal was just to run the full distance! I finished somewhere in the middle of the pack at about 36 minutes. The only ones I have ever seen do a sub-20 minute 5K are the teen boys who are trying to impress the teen girls :-). I tend to stick to community, holiday, or charity 5K runs ~ I'm sure that in a more competitive circle the times are faster! Last summer I finally broke the 30 minute mark. (Ok, it was almost all downhill, but it was still a 5K, so I'm counting it.) I think a good goal is to get your distance down first. Running just over 3 miles non-stop is a huge accomplishment! Then set time goals from there. For me, it's not a race against everyone else, it's all about being better than what you have been.
    Good luck!
  • Irontri61
    Options
    You shouldn't be too worried about finish times for your first 5k. Just go out have fun and try to better your time on your next 5k. I've done many 5k, 10k, marathons and ironman triathlon. My best 5k was 18:55. I always raced against myself.
    All this was a few years back before multiple surgeries. Now I just walk.

Have fun!!
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I would say a "good time" is one where trained well enough that you were able to run the whole and celebrate your finish with family and friends. Then your next race after that you have a time to beat. Seams a bit simplistic but therein lies the beauty of it.
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    First 5k in over 20yrs (after only running for a lil maybe 2 mths) in Dec 2012 was 34;44

Best 5k time now done in Nov 2013 was 24:47

have done one 10k and now trying to get the guts for a half
  • jlcrph
    jlcrph Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Running is very individualized. Run your first 5k - so the next time you run one, a 'good time' will be to beat your previous time and so on….. I've run several, starting at 49 minutes and getting down to 30 minutes. A lot of people would say 30 minutes isn't 'good'… but I think it is GREAT as it is a personal improvement. Compare your performance to your previous ability - not to someone else's ability!
  • scotstwr
    scotstwr Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    A good time for you first five 5K? It massively depends on your starting fitness. To demonstrate. I did my first 5k run in well over a year a few days ago. Over a rough cross country route it took 28min. I did the same today pushing a bit harder and it took 25 mins. I'm a stone overweight, 48 years old, BUT I cycle over a 100 miles week so my base fitness level is reasonably OK. However, my legs will be in pieces tomorrow. :-)
  • BaileyC36
    BaileyC36 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    typically 12 mins per mile, about 37 minutes
  • dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    my best is 35 minutes although I usually do 5K in around 38 minutes.

I've not been running very long and still weigh around 220!!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    m57jgauxoar2.png

(I'm between 35 and 40 depending on the day)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Finishing your first 5k is great for a beginner. Don't worry about the time. Don't start comparing yourself to other because you'll get frustrated. There will always be lots of people faster than you. Some beginners think 30 min is a great time and others think it's horrible.

Use an app like c25k to help you get trained.
  • mitchell_maya1705
    mitchell_maya1705 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    34 minutes
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    m57jgauxoar2.png

This is an extra special zombie thread - OP in Oct 2011, first revival in Feb of 14. Second revival now
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I cycle and swim a ton...so I thought - how hard can running be? After all I was in very good shape already. So I entered a 5k without ever having run one, or run at all.

My first 5k was horrible - not because of my time of 44 minutes - but because I hurt for 3 days after - going up and down stairs was the worst haha. A few weeks after my first 5k, with regular runs to get in shape, my time is now down to 36 minutes - or a bit over 5 mph. Speed is coming with the improved stride.

Bottom line
    Just enter - finish - and have a good time!
    It feels good to finish, even if you have to walk.
    You still did more than those sitting on their couch!

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Just shy of 23 mins.

Cheers to the double revival!
  • brookekaczor
    brookekaczor Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    A lot of your time depends on your training, Your one mile time and your weight. You can go from 48 min 16/min mile and faster..... but finishing is the most important part and good consistent training.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My first 5k after I broke my ankle was 55 minutes. A few weeks ago I did a5k in 30 minutes. Not a PR, not even close.

I now gauge everything post broken ankle! Lol!
  • Amys712
    Amys712 Posts: 86 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    A good beginning 5k time is any one in which you finish. My first was just over 33 minutes. My next was just over 31. My next was 36 but I was running with a first timer. I suggest Couch to 5k. It's great for getting started.

I agree with Brent. I actually work for a sports timing company that provides times to participants. A really fast 5k is about 15 minutes. That is typically about the time our winner comes in. The majority of people finish between 25 and 45 minutes. The walkers start coming in around 50 minutes or so.
    I don't run super often but my fastest 5k ever was 27:19. I usually feel good if I come in at 30 or less, but I don't remember what my first time ever was.
    For your first one, just focus on getting it done and making it across the finish line. The biggest key is to just stay at a consistent, comfortable pace. Don't push yourself so hard at the beginning that you run out of steam. You've got this!
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,884 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've been running for years but the best I think was just under 20 minutes. Sustaining 4 min/km's is pretty tough.
  • lucylou1977
    lucylou1977 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    jlcrph wrote: »
    Running is very individualized. Run your first 5k - so the next time you run one, a 'good time' will be to beat your previous time and so on….. I've run several, starting at 49 minutes and getting down to 30 minutes. A lot of people would say 30 minutes isn't 'good'… but I think it is GREAT as it is a personal improvement. Compare your performance to your previous ability - not to someone else's ability!

This
  • arcornell09
    arcornell09 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love 5k and my best was just just under 22 min. I'm getting back into running this year so anyone who can support me or wants to be friends just hmu!