Any other LGBT peeps (or LBGT allies) around?

Options
124»

Replies

• BeckyV73
    BeckyV73 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Love whom you want.

Exactly.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Seems a shame that any LGBT threads would get locked simply because they're LGBT-related. It's not as if any threads that mention kids are locked as a result of mentioning kids. I dare say that the vast majority of kids are the direct result of some explicit activity that would otherwise be considered forbidden on the forums.

Or maybe the mods/admin have no idea what being a part of the community actually means.
  • ScotsLenny
    ScotsLenny Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Ally...I'm just friendly kinda ****er :smile:
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    So before the thread gets locked - supporters, how are you supportive?

Like I've never attended a rally or anything, but where I live has a small gay community downtown, and I go hang out there very frequently with my kids and their friends. I guess my support is shown through teaching my kids that this is also normal but also spending money in LGBT-owned or supportive businesses.

i know you live in FL, i dunno how far from this, but are you referring to wilton manors?

if not wilton manors is also a gay community, it's quite an amusing place with it's gay mart and coffee shop! my friend used to force me to go there with him.
    I've heard of Wilton Manors :bigsmile: but, no, I was referring to downtown Lake Worth. It's a lot like Key West used to be. Just really laid-back. If you're ever in the area check out Mother Earth on 2nd ave. It's a lesbian-owned coffee house and the owner is the coolest ever. She hosts open mic, people sing on Friday nights, she lets locals sell goods there. It's everything a coffee house should be.

this sounds cool... unfortunately i live in north florida now, so prob a no go! we have a mother earth here... its a crappy, tiny "health foods" store. there is nothing better than that :grumble:

but i agree, it sounds like a great coffee shop!
    Aw BOOO! Well, this Mother Earth used to be called Les Beans. Say it out loud. How cool is that? But I think her partner owned the name and they split up.

what a clever name!
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Don't know about you guys, but I find it downright disgusting that you can't have a forum topic to bring together LGBT allies that want to lose weight together and support each other in all ways of life. YET we can post about straight women and men losing weight with their husbands and wives. It's the same thing to me, because even though they don't type 'sexuality' in their topic or anything of the like, speaking about losing weight with an SO is just the same as looking to lose weight with an LGBT community member. Anyhow, that's just my two cents.

Obviously I am posting here before I am an avid supporter. Working with co-workers and my best friend (a gay drag queen whom I love dearly) on getting people aware of the new amendment here in NC and voting on it, etc. That's how I help out, as best I can.

Feel free to add me if you'd like. I don't mind having the friendship as long as we can motivate each other and help change each others lives for the best.

BUT P.S: Fussing about holy whatevers or how people are treated people unfairly etc is probably enough of a reason to lock this thread, so don't give anyone ammunition, eh? Just keep is calm and clean and nice for everyone here trying to network.
  • Bovaryoo
    Bovaryoo Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options
    Another ally here!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Ally here... :drinker:
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

Looks like quite a few of you know the forum guidelines and also know that Groups functionality is coming (I understand it is only a matter of weeks, so please be patient :flowerforyou: ). For those of you not familiar... please read on for an explaination of the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

13) Topics about politics, religion, atheism, or sexuality are not allowed and will be deleted. This includes posting images or signatures. Unfortunately, we have seen that topics about either of these subjects are highly likely to result in heated arguments and disputes. If you really wish to discuss any of these topics, please google political forums, religious forums, etc. - there are plenty of other places to express your views.

Mike has reluctantly had to create a rule which disallows any posts about these potentially divisive topics. Mike would greatly prefer to allow all of these topics to be discussed on the site, but often although the tone of the original thread is harmless, as the threads proceed, members participating in such topics have been subject to insults or attacks, feelings have gotten hurt, and in more instances than we would like, a moderator wasn’t able to step in quickly enough to prevent this from happening.

To help the situation and with the purpose of really letting conversation on the site blossom, two things are being done: the team is training more moderators, and the site will soon feature a new “Groups” feature.

With Groups, Members will be able to form their own groups and invite other members to join. Each group would have it’s own forum, and group forums would have much more leeway in the range of topics discussed. So, for example, you’ll absolutely be able to create a faith-based, or politically leaning support group and discuss the exact range of topics you’d like to discuss. Groups will be able to host a much more diverse and mature range of conversations, and because groups will be able to moderate themselves, we hope they’ll be much better at protecting some of our more targeted populations from unwanted hassle. We plan to heavily promote the existence of groups to all of our members, fostering strong participation and hopefully giving you exactly the community experience you are looking for on our site.

In the meantime, we appreciate your understanding. We’re committed to making MyFitnessPal a place where all members can communicate openly in a supportive, and positive environment that helps them to achieve their weight-loss and fitness goals.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/14923-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    _Sally_
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.