15 grams of sugar a day! IT WORKS!

Options
1235»

Replies

• fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options

sure, words of caution, but not insulting and condemning. Makes us look like bullies on the play ground.

I totally agree :D
  • dawniee
    dawniee Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    As soon as you know it alls came out to play, anyone at all interested in learning or supporting already left......:sad:
  • MeganAndJNo
    Options
    Good job!!
    I didn't watch the video yet and skimmed thru the other comments as they seemed quite negative.
    I am looking at the WHO's announcement in March 2014 about Daily Sugar consumption and you got this right girl!
    I'm gonna try for 15 grams a day also.
    Thanks for posting!
    JJ:smile:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    This thread was written in 2011.

Are you still around OP?
    Since someone bumped up your old thread, could you tell us if you are still doing this low sugar plan and how has it worked for you long term?
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I didn't realized this had 4 pages of comments... Yes it was not water weight. I could eat as many calories as I wanted a day as long as I stuck to the 15grams a day. At first I had headaches for the first few days because I wasn't used to it. But after that I felt great. I did it until I got pregnant about half a year later. I was constantly losing fat. I went from 233lbs to 186lbs in a few months. It's a great thing to start doing if you can find the right foods, don't do the "sugar free" crap though, just google foods that are very low in sugar or have no natural sugars. I ate a lot of salads that were red cabbage dark kidney beans and SPRAY dressings. and a lot of cheese and pjs, i canned my own strawberry jam so there wasn't really sugar in it. i wish there was a quick way to look back at my diary and see all i ate. i know when i wanted junkfood i did go for the sugar free jello as a cheat. but sugar free food isn't very good because then they use fake sugars.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    For you, is this reasonable and sustainable for the rest of your life?

Yes. But just like calories for everyone, some days we're over & some days we're under. For now I've been very strict to not go over 15. I think in the long run some days I may eat more, but never over 20. It's all about learning which foods are better for you "sugar-wise" anyway

Remember when you first started MFP and cut out the junkfood? It wasn't easy. But after a while it became 2nd nature to know what to eat & what not to eat.

*hides her beer*

*hides her brownie*

*hides her ice cream sandwich*

*wipes chocolate from face*

What are we talking about here?
  • Add713
    Add713 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    4lbs in two days....hard to believe. That would basically mean no fruit.....so bacon would be good
    fruit bad. What am I missing???/
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I didn't realized this had 4 pages of comments... Yes it was not water weight. I could eat as many calories as I wanted a day as long as I stuck to the 15grams a day. At first I had headaches for the first few days because I wasn't used to it. But after that I felt great. I did it until I got pregnant about half a year later. I was constantly losing fat. I went from 233lbs to 186lbs in a few months. It's a great thing to start doing if you can find the right foods, don't do the "sugar free" crap though, just google foods that are very low in sugar or have no natural sugars. I ate a lot of salads that were red cabbage dark kidney beans and SPRAY dressings. and a lot of cheese and pjs, i canned my own strawberry jam so there wasn't really sugar in it. i wish there was a quick way to look back at my diary and see all i ate. i know when i wanted junkfood i did go for the sugar free jello as a cheat. but sugar free food isn't very good because then they use fake sugars.

Pretty surprised you are still here.
    I had assumed, given you still have a lot of weight to lose years later, that you had maybe left long ago and quit.
    Good job on still being here and logging.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I do not understand the concept of half a banana. Once the banana is peeled or cut, you must eat the whole thing, IMO. I eat at least three different fruits a day, so this would not work for me. However, I've been at my goal weight for two years. Good luck, if this works for others.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options

I had assumed, given you still have a lot of weight to lose years later, that you had maybe left long ago and quit.

well, she did have at least one baby in that time :wink:obviously that interupted her weight loss journey
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options

well, she did have at least one baby in that time :wink:obviously that interupted her weight loss journey

I actually had 2 babies. And now I'm pregnant again. I lost 80lbs after the first baby, so the sugar rule does work. The only reason I didn't keep it off is because I got pregnant again, lost the weight. And then I'm pregnant now again. So yes to that person who said I still have a lot of weight to lose, I'm carrying a baby currently.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I find when people talk about sugar and mean carbs or sucrose, glucose and fructose confusing. I wish people wouldn't talk about "sugar" unless they are referring to the stuff you put in your coffee and cakes. Anyway i quit sugar but eat as much carbs as i want and i've lost almost all the weight i need to lose this year and no i can keep the weight off forever doing this.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    15 grams of sugar...that means you can have 0 fruit..no thank you.

I eat fruit, blue berries, raspberries, etc.... have half a banana instead of a whole banana.... Did you even watch the video?

fing zombie threads….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The caveat in this all is that the article states "If you have been counting calories and it has not been working..."

"... then you're doing it wrong."

NOPE...not true... different bodies respond to different things.

Please explain how this is not true. I would like to know where this magical extra mass is coming from if you are accurately counting calories.

You can count calories and still not lose. If you eat 1,200 of ONLY junk, brownies, sugar, candy bars, etc it's going to stick around longer than eating 1,200 of healthy natural foods.

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The caveat in this all is that the article states "If you have been counting calories and it has not been working..."

"... then you're doing it wrong."

NOPE...not true... different bodies respond to different things.

Please explain how this is not true. I would like to know where this magical extra mass is coming from if you are accurately counting calories.

You can count calories and still not lose. If you eat 1,200 of ONLY junk, brownies, sugar, candy bars, etc it's going to stick around longer than eating 1,200 of healthy natural foods :trollface: .

Even though this is a zombie thread, this made me laugh so hard.
  • FayeandBo
    Options
    I don't eat any proccessed sugars whatsoever but I eat a lot of fruit and have a lot more than 15g just from the natural fruit sugars. Oh and I'm losing weight really fast
  • FayeandBo
    Options
    foremant86 wrote: »
    15 grams of sugar...that means you can have 0 fruit..no thank you.

I eat fruit, blue berries, raspberries, etc.... have half a banana instead of a whole banana.... Did you even watch the video?

i can't say as I did, i don't like gimmicks.

gimmick? He's a nutritionist, he's not trying to sell anything to anyone. He's trying to teach people to be even healthier with food choices. Don't bash it til you've tried it.

I took the time to watch and the video and all I can say is DUH. Everything in that cart was a bunch of processed crap, of course cutting out all of those things is going to be healthier, I think most of us already know that. but there's absolutely no need to stay at 15grams of sugar or less a day. He's so against counting calories but he wants you to count sugar instead, so I can eat 3000 calories of meat because it contains no sugar and i'll be golden right? no not so much.

If it works for you then great, i'm glad, but there is honestly no reason to go to an extreme like this. Same with people who try to eat less than 25g of carbs a day, it's not necessary and people are just looking for quick fix when in reality they won't likely sustain these eating habits for life so they'll just end up putting the weight on again

(edited for typos, man it's hard typing with a puppy sprawled in your lap)

I definitely agree. Also I don't think people understand that vegetables and fruit are both carbohydrates. carbohydrates aren't bad for you, just certain types and even then in moderation

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    It's a zombie, but at least the OP came back with an update. That counts for something, even if she's stuck in a yo-yo cycle. :(
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

Or you could just.... balance your macros for body comp, eat at a deficit, and lose fat (btw, you lose water, fat, and muscle not just fat). Oh, perk. You can then partake in pumpkin spice oreos.

Sugar free jello as a cheat? :neutral_face:
    ktq9qaq3r919.gif

• Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    There might be some truth to this, in the last few days I've been dropping .4 to half a pound a day and my sugar intake is around 39 - 45 grams a day.

I eat mostly vegetables, with a good size piece of chicken, oat meal, almonds, a piece of fruit and a tortilla wrap with mayonaise and 2 eggs fried in extra virgin olive oil, cut up onion, fresh ginger root, fresh garlic, lemon and dill with the chicken.

My sugar intake is around 39 to 50 grams approx. What shocks me is the amount of weight I've dropped this week because I decided to strap myself down a bit this week. Been consuming between 1450 and 1500 calories a day. With a couple of days being over 1800 cals and still literally dropping weight.

I drink between nine to ten cups of water. The key is to watch the sugar intake. Cutting it completely out only leads to health problems and if I drop too low, I'm in trouble of becoming sick.