What do you think about when exercising....

Options

Replies

• mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I think about my next Violation Story.....that gets me in trouble!
  • Carri1
    Carri1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If i am swimming I don't think about too much except how relaxed I am. If I am riding my bike I think about things that I see and encounter along the way. If I am at the gym I watch tv or listen to music. If I am home it's just music I listen to and not try not to clock watch. The stupid clock will slow down on purpose! lol
  • happyfitmom
    Options
    I have to think about positive things, or else I'm just focused on how much this hurts and I want to stop. Sometimes I turn on an uplifting audio book, which helps. The best thing, though, and this is gonna sound so weird, is I picture myself giving a motivational speech to people going through exactly what I'm going through. Before I know it, my run is over, and I feel a lot more psyched about the rest of my day.
  • upwiththesun
    Options
    Hi

I am probably against the norm. I don't listen to anything but my heartbeat and thought perceptions that come and go. When I exercise, it's because I run to escape reality.

:)
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I usually try to focus on my current fitness goal, and imagine how good it will feel to achieve it. EG crossing the finish line at my next race, standing on top of that next mountain ...

Unless I am rock climbing or riding my mountain bike. Then I just concentrate on not breaking my face
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm usually counting steps...and thinking about arm position, shoulders back, head up...
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I actually focus on working harder...there's times I want to slow down or stop..and then i go..."Aw heck no....if I do...the people that are actually telling me, that I inspire them...would also slow down...argh!" So I push on harder even on the urge of wanting to stop..

Sometimes I zone out and just think of the things I need to get done for the day....
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I think about all kinds of things! One being weather I should pull my wedgie out and how the person behind me might get grossed out!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    It depends. I listen to a lot of music so I catch myself singing while I run a lot.
    I reflect on my day, if I am running in the evening... I think about my kids, my journey, various things.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    what set im on. i have really bad short term memory so i really have to keep thinking about it or i'll forget.

i dont know how many times im sitting there wondering, "hmmm, was that the 3rd or 4th set?"
  • jlowensby
    jlowensby Posts: 142
    Options
    Best part about working out, the only thing I have to think about is the muscle group I am working out at the moment. And concentrating on my form...The day's problem can just slip away for awhile :)
  • jlowensby
    jlowensby Posts: 142
    Options
    what set im on. i have really bad short term memory so i really have to keep thinking about it or i'll forget.

i dont know how many times im sitting there wondering, "hmmm, was that the 3rd or 4th set?"

Oh yeah I have found myself in that situation so many times...then do another set just in case lol
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    depends on what I am doing.. when I work out my lower body I think " OMG its only been 15 min.. omg only 25 min." LOL I hate working my lower body.

When I run.. I think about my life... whats going good, what I could or should change that kinda stuff..running is therapeutic for me.

While lifting weights and working my upper body I try to really concentrate on the muscle groups I am working.. I LOVE working my upper body!!!
  • MaryAnn678
    MaryAnn678 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If I'm listening to music I think about the music, if listening to an audio book the book, if I have neither I'm thinking about how much longer I have before I get to quit exercising and how many calories I've burned so I can eat what I want and still stay under my calorie count.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I try to get lost in the music, go into a different place. I have the luxury of a gym at work so I set everything up for my workout, each station ready to go. Find the right start song and then go...
    counting reps,mark each interval off on the dry erase board, write down the distance of each run, oblivious to everything but my goal..
    push out one more rep here and there, this weights easy today or if it feels heavy...push yourself...thats it...do this! Get it done! dont look at the clock, catch your breath, keep pushing...run faster, push it, sprint...almost done...! pullups, knock em out...pushups....wide this time or elevate your feet..do em on the medicine ball...dont you quit! never quit! abs...god this hurts...keep going .... almost done..one last run...its easy...so easy....breathe......almost there......last minute, crank it up....!

Thats what I think when i workout...
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I think about how much I hate workig out and how much I loooove cakes and cookies which then motivates me to keep going. :smooched: :smooched: :tongue:
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I think about how they get the caramel into Caramilk bars
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    I either put on a movie with volume off if I'm on the elliptical, just so I can focus on something now and then. But I never listen to music. I think about my day, but lately I've been thinking about Christmas too. But usually just about what I have to do or what I have done.

I also a day dream. I spend an inappropriate amount of every day just spaced out. My workout lets me get away with it! lol
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    My soundtrack really motivates my running a lot of times. Either music that is generally F*** the world centered (yay for Eminem) or stuff that makes me feel sexy. I need good hard music though, something where the beat pushes me in a way. If I start feeling pain somewhere, getting a stitch or knee pain I think about my form, sometimes I watch TV, sometimes I read a magazine. Towards the end I'm just watching the mile counter, waiting to get to my goal for the day, seeing if I can push myself any harder or faster to get there.

Doing yoga is generally relaxing for me, so I usually think about working out any tightness or kinks I have, releasing tension etc. Doing pilates I think about how I want to look.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Today I was thinking about Mercury's strange orbit.