Ha!~ Large Frame BMI! I knew it :O)

Options

Replies

• polkataniec
    Options
    Bump!!!!!:laugh:
  • tabula69
    Options
    Found this site if you don't want to do all the math.

http://www.medindia.net/patients/calculators/framesize1.asp
  • mjemerson
    mjemerson Posts: 141
    Options
    Bump
  • elissascotland
    elissascotland Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm not at all convinced.

My wrist size changes with my weight-loss and weight gain.
  • Wyoruby
    Wyoruby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Ok so my regular BMI is 23.9 and my wrist measurment is 6.5. So does that mean that according to the large frame BMI which I fall into since I'm 5'4 that I would be in the underweight catagory!!!! If so I'm quite happy to stay here :laugh:
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'0" and my doctor said that this applies. I'm still technically in the obese dept but i want to be down to overweight by xmas!
  • DzyIzy
    DzyIzy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is great information =) I happened to calculate my hubby's BMI this morning and was shocked to find that he would be considered obese. Most people wouldn't even say he looks overweight. But with the large frame adjustment he is just a bit overweight. (He has a very large frame, and is 6' 6" tall)

Also, as you get taller the BMI numbers get skewed anyway. My father is medium framed, but 6' 8". His doctor "prescribed" weight
    (which he stays at and looks slim at) would technically be a BMI Of 27.5. He would look sickly at a BMI below 25.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I'm right on the border myself (according to those sites). 7.25" on a woman is pretty big, that's for sure. My wrists are 7.5" and I am a 6'3" 260lb male.
  • msmmrobinson
    Options
    bump
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later
  • MaureenF1969
    MaureenF1969 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love you! :-) I'm only 5'5"...but my wrist is 7inches. :-) Yippee!! I'm a 29 needing to drop to at least a 27 to be considered normal. Very cool. Thank you!

Maureen
  • lildrmr93
    Options
    Thanks for the post...
  • kawinter
    Options
    BMI was never meant to be used as anything but for studying populations as a whole. For individuals it can be very misleading to say the least. Better to try and get a reasonable gauge on your % body fat and set your goals by that.

That said, BMI scales up based on the square of your height. Last time I checked, people were three-dimensional and while the cube of your height probably is too much, the square is too little. So to all the tall folks on here, BMI is stacked against you from the start.

I'm 6'5" and according to the BMI guidelines (which are also drawn rather arbitrarily), I need to be under ~211# to be in a healthy range. Well, last time I was at 211, I was also at 9% body fat back in college. The low part of the healthy range is under 160, a patently ridiculous number for anybody with even a normal frame.

So really everybody, but especially if you're tall, big framed (by bone), etc. find a better metric than BMI for setting fitness/weight goals!
  • Jenn152
    Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    BMI is a ridiculous scale... But I must admit I was happy to find and calculate this info. And as far as my wrist being "big" for a woman.... Haha,i must laugh at this! I'm just shy of 6' and I wear a size 11 shoe... Apparently you've never been around tall women :o) take a look at the totally tall women of MFP thread... And I bet we would change your opinion of what is and isn't "big" for a woman. End rant:wink:
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think there are other things to consider in health such as blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, etc.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    The only problem with this is that my wrists were huge (like, no separation from my forearm to my hand huge) before I lost weight. Now my wrists are so tiny that my bones are very evident and I can wrap my finger well over my thumb when clutching (I couldn't even touch the tips before I lost weight) now.

I think it's kind of giving false hope, IMO.

Long bones don't mean more girth, btw. ;)
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest, my wrists were 'large frame' - now that I've lost 35# they are now small framed! I used my large frame wrists as an excuse to hold onto 10# lbs- i don't go by the wrist measurement anymore
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this! People need to realize that the "BMI calculators" that base it on measurements & weight can only provide the roughest estimates. Genetically, even if you discount height, some people have bones that are more dense than others; some naturally have more muscle mass than others; either of those variables can make you heavier without actually being fatter.

My doctor has a test that's a little more accurate, and I encourage people to try this if you really want to know your BMI. It's a fancy machine, you grab the handles and it sends an electrical pulse up one arm and down the other. The pulse will travel at a different speed through fat, water, muscle, etc. so it lets the doctor calculate your body mass percentages with a lot more accuracy. When the "official chart" had me at a BMI of 45, my doc's little machine said it was truly more like 40. Still insanely high, I grant you. But when I get down into a lower range, now I know that the chart is likely to have a pretty large margin of error for me.
  • meaganh13
    meaganh13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! Instead of being way into the Obese category, I am slightly over the Overweight category. Also, on the LiveStrong site it states that if you're large-framed (I'm 6'5" and a wrist of 7.1"), you simply multiply your BMI by 0.9. Mine was 34.7 (Obese) and now it's 31.2 (Overweight) with this calculation. Instead of feeling more comfortable with this adjustment, it actually makes me more motivated to know that being 140lbs would not only be almost impossible but unhealthy. My real goals seem much more attainable now!
  • fattabby1
    fattabby1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    woo hoo- that means just one more point off my BMI and i'm 'normal' yippie!!!

i'm 5'11 too
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!