Protein = fat

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Who said you shouldn't eat meat? It wasn't in any of my posts. Meat is very healthy when eaten in the right proportion to the rest of the dietary intake.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I love animals.

when they are on my plate
  • cee134
    Options
    Who said you shouldn't eat meat? It wasn't in any of my posts. Meat is very healthy when eaten in the right proportion to the rest of the dietary intake.

Sorry double posted
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I love animals.

when they are on my plate
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    Look, it's science. It's in any book. The Meat Food group, has more fat then the dairy food group. This is a true statement, and proven 100% of the time. But yes you can find cheese that has more fat then small amounts of meat. But over all, as a food group Meat has the most fat. That is a fact. Like water is wet.
    Then use science thoroughly. Fat doesn't make you fat. You need fat to burn fat. Saturated fats are okay to ingest. They are not the cause for heart disease.............inflammation is.
    It' nice that you pointed it out, but what that point if it really doesn't impact someone's diet who gets in their essentials and stays in calorie deficit?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I know when I substitute protein for carbs I eat lower total calories which is all that matters...
    And feel more satiated longer too.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    But over all, as a food group Meat has the most fat. That is a fact. Like water is wet.

au contraire mon frere - actually the fat group has the most fat. It's that top part of the food pyramid filled with olive oil and butter - you know the one.

I will concede that water is wet, though.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Look, it's science. It's in any book. The Meat Food group, has more fat then the dairy food group. This is a true statement, and proven 100% of the time. But yes you can find cheese that has more fat then small amounts of meat. But over all, as a food group Meat has the most fat. That is a fact. Like water is wet.

Let's assume you're right in your claim. The question is, so? Does anyone who's monitoring their food intake in the way users of this website are actually create their meals based on food group? I certainly don't, and I'd guess most people don't either. I don't look at a piece of meat and say "Oh, that's from the meat group, it's likely to be fatty." I actually look up that specific food and fit it into my goals, or not, depending on the case.

Sure you can make the generalization you made, but it's usefulness is questionable.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    But over all, as a food group Meat has the most fat. That is a fact. Like water is wet.

au contraire mon frere - actually the fat group has the most fat. It's that top part of the food pyramid filled with olive oil and butter - you know the one.

I like my butter and olive oil......................oooh but it does have a lot of fat in it.......................which doesn't matter as long as I stay within my calories.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Spam post.

haha
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I know how to make a birdfeeder out of a pinecone and some peanut butter.

This made me laugh
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    1) all I did was point out that the Meat food group, NOT PROTEIN, is the highest food group for fat. Alot of people think dairy is the highest in fat.
    2) I never said fat was bad for you, but too much of anything is, and I see alot of people suggesting protein instead of carbs, so if that's the case it's good to be aware of the amount of fat their eating.
    3) If you already know this then this post wasn't for you.
    Wait American Cheese has about 94 calories per slice and 62 calories from fat. I wouldn't call the low if more than 50% of the calories is from fat...........

This to me is just another animal lover thread.

That's it, you can make the "right" and "wrong" decisions in any food group (although what those right and wrong decisions is a personal thing anyway dependent on your personal goals). You can eat too many carrots and turn orange. The fact is that it's important to understand what you're putting in your body, instead of basing your decisions on generalizations. I am for my bodyweight *1.2 in protein, adjusted my carbs up, and pushed my fats down. That's the nice thing about working with macros, you can get what you need and keep these things in check.
  • cee134
    Options
    Then use science thoroughly. Fat doesn't make you fat. You need fat to burn fat. Saturated fats are okay to ingest. They are not the cause for heart disease.............inflammation is.
    It' nice that you pointed it out, but what that point if it really doesn't impact someone's diet who gets in their essentials and stays in calorie deficit?

True. I'm not arguing that. I'm simply stating that too much fat is bad. Which would be when people don't stay in the calorie zone. Which can happen if they don't do their research and replace carbs with too much high fat meat. If they don't do that, they are fine. So it is important to know the science behind the foods you eat, as I see you are aware.

Look I'm just trying to warn people in a general post that they need to do their research. Sometimes people suggest good things but don't explain the science and the dangers with it. It's a trend I see sometimes on MPF.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Ok, so Protein does NOT equal fat. However, my point is, if you are eating alot more protein to offset some other thing like carbs just be aware that the Meat food Group has more fat then the dairy and carb food groups. So it's important to pay attention to your fat intake. As always talk to a doctor to find out what your body is missing to know the best diet for yourself.

A side note: eating alot of fiber can help reduce the amount of fat your body absorbs.

you sound like you have athing Against Fats. Hmm. I guess no one told you about the ESSENTIAL FATS omega 3, 6, 9 s and how your brain is made up of mostly fat, as well as your spine, cell membranes, etc.

We are naturally fat burners, and Fats and Proteins are Necessary for maintence and growth, as well as to carry important nutrients around the body. Proteins and Fats also can be burned for energy if (IF) they are not already set aside by my body to be used otherwise.

MMMMMMMMMMMFAT! I love fat, and so should you! If you want ridiculously low body fat, you have to eat good FATS!
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    OMG YOU'RE SAYING EATING MEAT WILL MAKE YOU FAT OMGAAAAWD!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I like my butter and olive oil......................oooh but it does have a lot of fat in it.......................which doesn't matter as long as I stay within my calories.

I don't even count my cooking olive oil, it's usually about a tsp and it's no one's business but my own.
  • cee134
    Options
    Ok, so Protein does NOT equal fat. However, my point is, if you are eating alot more protein to offset some other thing like carbs just be aware that the Meat food Group has more fat then the dairy and carb food groups. So it's important to pay attention to your fat intake. As always talk to a doctor to find out what your body is missing to know the best diet for yourself.

A side note: eating alot of fiber can help reduce the amount of fat your body absorbs.

you sound like you have athing Against Fats. Hmm. I guess no one told you about the ESSENTIAL FATS omega 3, 6, 9 s and how your brain is made up of mostly fat, as well as your spine, cell membranes, etc.

We are naturally fat burners, and Fats and Proteins are Necessary for maintence and growth, as well as to carry important nutrients around the body. Proteins and Fats also can be burned for energy if (IF) they are not already set aside by my body to be used otherwise.

MMMMMMMMMMMFAT! I love fat, and so should you! If you want ridiculously low body fat, you have to eat good FATS!

And trans fat and other fats are bad. I have nothing against good fat. It's just important to be aware of everything.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    You can get proteins from other sources than meat. Meh, I eat meat at least 2 times a day without trimming the excess off. Total calories is what matters more than anything else.

What ninner said... Also, just an fyi. Spinach has more protein than red meat and zero grams of fat.
  • lockef
    Options
    And trans fat and other fats are bad.

Trans fats are the ONLY bad fat.

IB4saturatedfatisbadforyou2
  • lockef
    Options
    What ninner said... Also, just an fyi. Spinach has more protein than red meat and zero grams of fat.

You would have to eat A LOT of spinach to even come close to the protein you'd get from a steak.