PETA suing Sea World

Options
Johnnyswife
Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
http://news.yahoo.com/peta-lawsuit-seeks-expand-animal-rights-222219887.html

Just saw this on Yahoo news and I am amazed that they are going to attempt this. Not a big fan of PETA and their methods, but I also feel like pulling animals from the wild and keeping them in captivity all their lives is wrong.

Thoughts anyone?

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I know this is NOT what you meant at all, but for some reason, I had a vision of a whale flopping around on dry land, lol. Sorry. Carry on...
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i read the article too- a little disturbed peta people are- fish are friends not food but you cant have them in a fish tank either what ever-
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    PETA is a monstrous organization and I despise being affiliated with them when people find out that I'm an animal lover. Seaworld is a fantastic organization that treats their animals splendidly and has done a LOT in the way of conservation - from raising money, protecting habitats and successful breeding programs for endangered animals and even showing that animal training can be done in a positive, healthy way without forcing dominance/punishment styles of training. PETA takes the focus away from REAL animal rights groups that are actually making progress and actually do -far- more harm than good.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    PETA is a monstrous organization and I despise being affiliated with them when people find out that I'm an animal lover. Seaworld is a fantastic organization that treats their animals splendidly and has done a LOT in the way of conservation - from raising money, protecting habitats and successful breeding programs for endangered animals and even showing that animal training can be done in a positive, healthy way without forcing dominance/punishment styles of training. PETA takes the focus away from REAL animal rights groups that are actually making progress and actually do -far- more harm than good.

^^^ This!:drinker:
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    Hmmm, I am going to Seaworld Saturday. They seem to be taking care of the animals. :noway:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/oct/25/bruce-turtle-gets-his-life-back-bay/
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    im not really a PETA fan but ive always felt so bad for killer whales, dolphins etc... they are these giant majestic animals that are confined to a small tank to perform for our amusement. doesnt seem right.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    im not really a PETA fan but ive always felt so bad for killer whales, dolphins etc... they are these giant majestic animals that are confined to a small tank to perform for our amusement. doesnt seem right.

They are -not-. that's just the performance tank. They rotate the animals out daily from their actual enclosure.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    MaryBeth Sweetland (a PETA vice president) used to take insulin that was based on on an animal product. She says she takes it because she needs it to live, but fights for animal rights.

She does not see herself as a hypocrite.

I beg to differ.

Ironically PETA co-founder and President Ingrid Newkirk states "even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, "we'd be against it"

So using an animal-based product is ok to save a life, but possibly arriving at a cure for AIDS, thus saving millions, via animal testing, is wrong.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    MaryBeth Sweetland (a PETA vice president) used to take insulin that was based on on an animal product. She says she takes it because she needs it to live, but fights for animal rights.

I beg to differ.

Ironically PETA co-founder and President Ingrid Newkirk states "even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, "we'd be against it"

So using an animal-based product is ok, but possibly arriving at a cure for AIDS, thus saving millions, via animal testing is wrong.

Right, but only they can use it because they're fighting for animal rights. Everyone else deserves to suffer and die.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    PETA are a little over the top for me. I don't like how they immediately assume that all animals are treated terribly. Sea World takes good care of its killer whales. I would be fine with them suing Sea World if they had shot the orca that killed the trainer around this time last year, but they didn't. The sea world staff are zoologists and to assume that they don't know how to care for their whales is ridiculous.

It's misunderstandings and jumping to conclusions that has gotten PETA to where they are. It's a sham. Just like Sea Shepherd. All for the glory, not for the actual animals.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

I beg to differ.

So using an animal-based product is ok, but possibly arriving at a cure for AIDS, thus saving millions, via animal testing is wrong.

Right, but only they can use it because they're fighting for animal rights. Everyone else deserves to suffer and die.
    Hush. You are upsetting their logic.
  • nothingisred
    Options

Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

I beg to differ.

Hush. You are upsetting their logic.

They use logic?
  • razorofpow
    Options
    I actually hate Peta, and they're methods, they are essentially a terrorist group. There have been several documented incidents of Peta vandalizing, destroying labs, even fires and bombs. I am all for animal rights and the preservation of our wild life, but there needs to be a limit to force and tactics used. Even in the case they have created with sea world is about the most brain dead thing I've ever read. Think about it they are claiming the 13th amendment applies to animals as well, well that means your dogs, cats hamsters, snakes, and any other animal one may own should be let free. Police and seeing eye dogs are doing services to humans does this make them slaves?
  • jenscot25
    jenscot25 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    popcorn.gif

Have a feeling this might get good....
  • Liopleurodon
    Options
    I don't think it makes much difference to PETA whether the animals at Sea World are treated humanely. The powers that be in PETA are pretty much opposed to all human-animal interaction, including pet ownership. This is why more than 95% of pets that go to PETA shelters end up euthanised rather than rehomed.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    As an animal, I speak for all of us when I say PETA is of the devil...that is all.
  • MrsSpratt
    MrsSpratt Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    PETA thrives on the press. They pull outlandish stunts for the headlines. No way will they win that law suit. I'm sure they know that.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    It would help if PETA would stop acting like living in the wild is like being in a freaking Disney cartoon for all these animals. I'm not advocating turning lions and tigers and bears into family pets or anything, but there are plenty of species that benefit from living in captivity, especially under the constant care of trained professionals.

So what if a few of them are used for entertainment? I'm sure there are lots of kids who went to Sea World growing up, became fascinated by dolphins and whales, and went on to become zoologists or marine biologists or veterinarians, and that, in the long run, HELPS THE ANIMALS.

There's just no logic with PETA. It's just whatever fantasy exists in their minds on any given day.
  • razorofpow
    Options
    PEZA people for the ethical treatment of zombies...zombies are people to...lol...just saying