PETA suing Sea World

Options

Replies

• PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    im not really a PETA fan but ive always felt so bad for killer whales, dolphins etc... they are these giant majestic animals that are confined to a small tank to perform for our amusement. doesnt seem right.

They are -not-. that's just the performance tank. They rotate the animals out daily from their actual enclosure.

http://tinypic.com/r/5xnyvd/5

I don't care what anyone says. A majestic animal such as the orca should NOT be enclosed in a swimming pool, or be used for anyone's entertainment.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    im not really a PETA fan but ive always felt so bad for killer whales, dolphins etc... they are these giant majestic animals that are confined to a small tank to perform for our amusement. doesnt seem right.

They are -not-. that's just the performance tank. They rotate the animals out daily from their actual enclosure.

I don't care what anyone says. A majestic animal such as the orca should NOT be enclosed in a swimming pool, or be used for anyone's entertainment.

While i'm not completely disagreeing with you, what is the alternative?

What else should they do with these animals that they take and rehab because they would otherwise die if left in the wild? Shall we leave them in the wild and say not our problem? Just let nature take care of it?
  • razorofpow
    Options
    Does any one here who keeps saying wild animals should be released after rehab like to go to the zoo? God I hope not that would make you hypocrites, most animals that are put through a rehab by a reputable facility are also tested after to find the possibility of returning to the wild. These test at least for land animals include things like hunting skills, how they react towards humans, do they have the fight left in them to survive...and so on. When an animal loses its ability to live in the wild due to human interaction, it is better off living in captivity where it will survive.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    If you agree animals should be let out of the small confined areas then you need to let your dog out of the house- its confined for an animal that could have the land to run free on.

there is no difference in wild animals and domesticated animals?

and for the animals already in captivity i agree that for the most part they shouldnt be released because that would be more cruel.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

What else should they do with these animals that they take and rehab because they would otherwise die if left in the wild? Shall we leave them in the wild and say not our problem? Just let nature take care of it?
    That's PETA's stand on it. They'd rather euthanize animals than rehabilitate them. Better for them to be dead than living, don't ya know?
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    The sad thing is PETA *could* be a great organization, doing great things for animals. But, instead they always take things to the extreme, thus losing ALL their credibility. PETA is its own worst enemy. They actually hurt the very cause they're trying to promote.

Bingo.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Appropriate

9ZOrB.jpg
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    PETA is a monstrous organization and I despise being affiliated with them when people find out that I'm an animal lover. Seaworld is a fantastic organization that treats their animals splendidly and has done a LOT in the way of conservation - from raising money, protecting habitats and successful breeding programs for endangered animals and even showing that animal training can be done in a positive, healthy way without forcing dominance/punishment styles of training. PETA takes the focus away from REAL animal rights groups that are actually making progress and actually do -far- more harm than good.

^^^ This!:drinker:

ditto. Peta is the group that doesn't believe in having pets. They'd rather I release my pugs into the wild and let nature take its course, which I can promise you, would end in the death of my pugs in less than 24 hours. They're not wild animals and not capable of survival without kibble and a soft pillow to lie on. :)

I did a behind the scenes tour at SeaWorld last year and they treat their animals very well. They have a large team of people deciding how much activities might stress an animal and some animals are kept in the back and not allowed public access at all. Trainers aren't allowed to become too friendly with the manatees because they have to be released back into the wild and it's not healthy for them to be too trusting of humans (they don't want them going near the boats). Yeah, they make a large amount of money off of the animals, but if you start with seaworld then zoos, aquariums, and anyone else with domesticated animals is at risk of being sued.
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My rife in my ticker is for shooting yummy 4 legged animals, and dangerous 2 legged ones.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    The sad thing is PETA *could* be a great organization, doing great things for animals. But, instead they always take things to the extreme, thus losing ALL their credibility. PETA is its own worst enemy. They actually hurt the very cause they're trying to promote.

Bingo.
    This is why I hate them too. Too extreme for my tastes.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    When did my dog get constitutional rights against slavery? huh? wha?
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options

im sure whatever their actual enclosure is its way smaller than the ocean right? you really think a killer whale or an animal as intelligent as a dolphin is happy in any enclosure? or what about gorillas you see at the zoo? its sad to look into their eyes.

You can't say that they AREN'T happy, either. They get food every day, get water every day, don't have to worry about predators, even provided toys, get vet care, and if they have to get put down, then it's typical not done in as savage a manner as would happen in the wild.

Social animals tend to be kept socially, and vice versa.

Every animal I've seen seems to be content as long as their basic needs are met. They usually aren't sitting there with "sad" eyes.

I think too many people project their human emotions onto animals. Animals just don't think like us, or behave like us.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

im sure whatever their actual enclosure is its way smaller than the ocean right? you really think a killer whale or an animal as intelligent as a dolphin is happy in any enclosure? or what about gorillas you see at the zoo? its sad to look into their eyes.

They do a lot to make sure the dolphins are intellectually challenged. On my tour they were playing all kinds of games with them and it was pretty awesome. You could also tell that the dolphins had clear preferences for *their* trainers over the others. Zoos I can't speak to-- but Seaworld is staffed with trained professionals who genuinely care about the well-being of the animals.
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options

These animals should not even be caught to begin with. Why take them out of their natural habitat and force them to perform and make money off of them? It's not fair. In the wild orcas are meant to swim miles, and in captivity, they get depressed [hence the flipped over fins] and they just swim in circles in a swimming pool the size of a backyard. It's pretty sad.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    In other words, you'd rather the injured animals just die, rather than be rescued and rehabbed. I've never understood that point of view. I find an injured animal, I think, how can I save that animal? I don't think, gee that animal would probably much rather lay there suffering and die than have me rescue it...
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    an injured animal is food to another animal. :) circle of life!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

These animals should not even be caught to begin with. Why take them out of their natural habitat and force them to perform and make money off of them? It's not fair. In the wild orcas are meant to swim miles, and in captivity, they get depressed [hence the flipped over fins] and they just swim in circles in a swimming pool the size of a backyard. It's pretty sad.

You don't get it. The animals are NOT taken out of the wild to be profited off of, they are taken to be rehabilitated and if it is in their best interest to be released back into the wild then they are. Not all animals that are captured are kept in captivity.
    Of course places like sea world and zoos have to make money off the animals unfortunately, they aren't free to keep alive.

Yes you can argue(as a person above stated) that we can just leave them to die as nature intended, but some people don't feel that way and if they're willing to give the animal a chance at life then that's fine by me.
  • XxXskinnyMiniXxX
    Options
    popcorn.gif

Have a feeling this might get good....

gus!
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    In other words, you'd rather the injured animals just die, rather than be rescued and rehabbed. I've never understood that point of view. I find an injured animal, I think, how can I save that animal? I don't think, gee that animal would probably much rather lay there suffering and die than have me rescue it...
    Another good point. I remember as a kid, we would rescue hurt birds, kittens, etc, and try to help them. They always died, but still we tried to help them.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Does anybody have an opinion on the part that would give ANIMALS Constitutional Rights??? That's kind of important.