Limiting potatoes in school lunches

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

And no, the article doesn't directly state that potatoes are evil. It's what people INFERRED.

Fair enough. People often infer what was not implied.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Do you know what CULPABLE means? While you're searching dictionary.com you may want to look that one up too.

From your article:
    Potatoes seem to be a particular culprit for weight gain and diabetes.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

I think I should be flattered, but I didn't write that article so it's not my theory. The UDSA proposal is to limit how many serviings of potatoes can be offered each week in school and replace those offerings with lower GI foods.

I still say it sounds like a good idea. Not a cure to all school problems, but a step in the right direction.
    No worries I knew it wasn't your article. If the proposal is to limit potatoes, how do they do that without having potatoes as an option?

Look they don't have many potato options so I think I'll have carrots and cauliflower instead......I'm sure I'll learn to love them over time......it's wonderful that the USDA is looking after my health and i'm not eating high GI foods.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Do you know what CULPABLE means? While you're searching dictionary.com you may want to look that one up too.

From your article:
    Potatoes seem to be a particular culprit for weight gain and diabetes.

So, I'm getting the feeling that you disagree with the suggestion of replacing potatoes with lower GI vegetable? Care to share why?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are a good source of vitamins and minerals, and while I do think it is a good idea to limit the fried potato, I think maybe the focus should be more on changing the preperation of it.

Gosh, I didn't realize so many people wouldn't read the article.

Excerpt:

Potatoes do contain important nutrients—vitamin C, potassium, and vitamin B6, to name a few. But the potato is not the only source of these nutrients, nor is it the best: Cup for cup, for example, broccoli has nearly nine times as much vitamin C as a potato, and white beans have about double the potassium. Yet a cup of potatoes has a similar effect on blood sugar as a can of Coca Cola or a handful of jelly beans. (10) That’s a high metabolic price to pay for nutrients that children can easily get from other sources.

You do realize that the whole blood sugar thing only applies if you eat potatoes, by themselves, with no other food with them. As soon as you mix different foods together it completely changes the way it's digested and processed.

Also, "cup for cup" beans have about 3 times more calories than potatoes, and 3 times the total carbs.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Potatoes are a good source of vitamins and minerals, and while I do think it is a good idea to limit the fried potato, I think maybe the focus should be more on changing the preperation of it.

Excerpt:

Potatoes do contain important nutrients—vitamin C, potassium, and vitamin B6, to name a few. But the potato is not the only source of these nutrients, nor is it the best: Cup for cup, for example, broccoli has nearly nine times as much vitamin C as a potato, and white beans have about double the potassium. Yet a cup of potatoes has a similar effect on blood sugar as a can of Coca Cola or a handful of jelly beans. (10) That’s a high metabolic price to pay for nutrients that children can easily get from other sources.

You do realize that the whole blood sugar thing only applies if you eat potatoes, by themselves, with no other food with them. As soon as you mix different foods together it completely changes the way it's digested and processed.

Also, "cup for cup" beans have about 3 times more calories than potatoes, and 3 times the total carbs.

The same could be said of Coca Cola (what you consume it with) but no one argues that should not be limited or even eliminated from schools.
  • PB67
    Options

Excerpt:

The same could be said of Coca Cola (what you consume it with) but no one argues that should not be limited or even eliminated from schools.

It's like talking to a wall.

Show me on the doll where the potato touched you.
  • PB67
    Options
    Hey kids here's a logic lesson:

Potatoes have a high GI
    Coca-cola has a high GI
    Coca-cola is nutritionally void
    Therefore potatoes are nutritionally void

Derp, derp, derp.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Also, the glycemic index has been proven useless and outdated many times. And even when it's useful, it's only applicable to diabetics, not healthy human beings. Not to mention the GI completely ignores the fact that protein can spike insulin as much as any high GI food, sometimes even more.
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Potatoes have a high GI
    Coca-cola has a high GI

Derp, derp, derp.

Hey, it's the Transitive Property! If A = B and B = C, then A = C. And there's our math from earlier.
  • PB67
    Options

Potatoes have a high GI
    Coca-cola has a high GI

Derp, derp, derp.

Hey, it's the Transitive Property! If A = B and B = C, then A = C. And there's our math from earlier.

LULZ.

A better analogy would be

2 is an even number
    4 is an even number
    2 is a prime number
    Therefore 4 is a prime number.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have heard that people can place potatoes in the tailpipes of cars, thus damaging the vehicle and making a loud and surprising noise. They are dangerous.
    :angry:
  • bcattoes
    Options

I think I should be flattered, but I didn't write that article so it's not my theory. The UDSA proposal is to limit how many serviings of potatoes can be offered each week in school and replace those offerings with lower GI foods.

I still say it sounds like a good idea. Not a cure to all school problems, but a step in the right direction.
    No worries I knew it wasn't your article. If the proposal is to limit potatoes, how do they do that without having potatoes as an option?

Look they don't have many potato options so I think I'll have carrots and cauliflower instead......I'm sure I'll learn to love them over time......it's wonderful that the USDA is looking after my health and i'm not eating high GI foods.

I haven't read the entire USDA proposal but I assumed they just offer potatoes on fewer days per week.
  • neanderthin
    Options

I haven't read the entire USDA proposal but I assumed they just offer potatoes on fewer days per week.
    I think you missed my point. If they did only have potatoes 2 days a week, they would need to get rid of all starchy carbs so that the only option would be the vegetables. I wasn't aware potatoes were the only options available, I guess since the last time I checked the pizza, bread products and pasta options have be elimanated......

For clarification, my last statement was sarcasm, not to be taken literally :smile: .
  • bcattoes
    Options

I think you missed my point. If they did only have potatoes 2 days a week, they would need to get rid of all starchy carbs so that the only option would be the vegetables. I wasn't aware potatoes were the only options available, I guess since the last time I checked the pizza, bread products and pasta options have be elimanated......

For clarification, my last statement was sarcasm, not to be taken literally :smile: .

I guess school districts are all different but here there is usually not a huge amount of choice each day, but I would think that pizza and broccoli is a healhier option than pizza and mashed potatoes. Sure, it's still probably not a healthy meal but it's better.

I really don't understand the 'if you aren't going to fix everything, don't fix anything' mindset. Maybe next they can work on making a healthier pizza. Maybe putting the broccoli on it.
  • neanderthin
    Options

I guess school districts are all different but here there is usually not a huge amount of choice each day, but I would think that pizza and broccoli is a healhier option than pizza and mashed potatoes. Sure, it's still probably not a healthy meal but it's better.

I really don't understand the 'if you aren't going to fix everything, don't fix anything' mindset. Maybe next they can work on making a healthier pizza. Maybe putting the broccoli on it.
    Er, you forgot the potato and broccoli option....never mind, I'm done.
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    ^^^This
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options

or they could put broccoli on the potato... sounds even healthier doesn't it.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Not necessarily. It's possible to make a healthy pizza, though few schools do. Neither would be as healthy as putting the broccoli on the side of a lean grilled chicken breast, but the point wasn't to get into a battle of examples.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. It's possible to make a healthy pizza, though few schools do. Neither would be as healthy as putting the broccoli on the side of a lean grilled chicken breast, but the point wasn't to get into a battle of examples.

No, the topic was about potatoes... I just think you like to argue with anyone who has a different opinion than you... I am sooooo done, this conversation has taken a turn for the unproductive. Thanks...