Limiting potatoes in school lunches

Options

Replies

• shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options

I think I should be flattered, but I didn't write that article so it's not my theory. The UDSA proposal is to limit how many serviings of potatoes can be offered each week in school and replace those offerings with lower GI foods.

I still say it sounds like a good idea. Not a cure to all school problems, but a step in the right direction.
    No worries I knew it wasn't your article. If the proposal is to limit potatoes, how do they do that without having potatoes as an option?

Look they don't have many potato options so I think I'll have carrots and cauliflower instead......I'm sure I'll learn to love them over time......it's wonderful that the USDA is looking after my health and i'm not eating high GI foods.

I haven't read the entire USDA proposal but I assumed they just offer potatoes on fewer days per week.
    I think you missed my point. If they did only have potatoes 2 days a week, they would need to get rid of all starchy carbs so that the only option would be the vegetables. I wasn't aware potatoes were the only options available, I guess since the last time I checked the pizza, bread products and pasta options have be elimanated......

For clarification, my last statement was sarcasm, not to be taken literally :smile: .

I guess school districts are all different but here there is usually not a huge amount of choice each day, but I would think that pizza and broccoli is a healhier option than pizza and mashed potatoes. Sure, it's still probably not a healthy meal but it's better.

I really don't understand the 'if you aren't going to fix everything, don't fix anything' mindset. Maybe next they can work on making a healthier pizza. Maybe putting the broccoli on it.

or they could put broccoli on the potato... sounds even healthier doesn't it.

Not necessarily. It's possible to make a healthy pizza, though few schools do. Neither would be as healthy as putting the broccoli on the side of a lean grilled chicken breast, but the point wasn't to get into a battle of examples.

No, the topic was about potatoes... I just think you like to argue with anyone who has a different opinion than you... I am sooooo done, this conversation has taken a turn for the unproductive. Thanks...

I second that.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Instead of demonizing potatoes, why don't they encourage more physical activity in schools? It seems to me that it would be a more cost-effective way to curb obesity in children as well as help establish exercise habits.

I agree that children should be encouraged to be physically active. When I was a kid, my middle school cut gym class when it didn't get enough funding. It seems like everything except math and science were in danger of getting cut. I honestly feel like gym class is much more important than algebra. There is very little math that I need to do that a calculator can't do for me. There is absolutely no way to get someone else to work out for me, or to eat better for me.

I hated gym class when I was a kid, and I drank pop and avoided broccoli at all costs. No one said to me that I should eat better or work out more, because I was on the lower end of the healthy weight range... almost underweight. My habits haven't changed, but my hormones have and I am now almost past overweight into the obese range.

The problem is not with potatoes. It's the whole system in general. I also know that as a kid, if my lunch were packed with broccoli and beans, I wouldn't have eaten it. The trick is to teach the kids about what they are eating and to find things that are good for them AND that they like.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    My elementary school provided baked potatoes, veggies, baked chicken, etc..., and I lived in a really poor neighborhood, too. Weird.
  • koylefam
    koylefam Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I am from Idaho (THE POTATO STATE) and work in the school system, and my mother is a kitchen manager in the schools, we don't serve potatoes (or potato products)maybe once a week. Only an idoit would ban them from lunches. I watch them serve broccoli, and other vegetables and guess what... the kids THROW IT AWAY... but givem them mashed potatoes, or tiny baked potatoes and they EAT THEM... why cut what they will eat to give them something they will just throw in the trash.... Also the other substutite foods are MORE EXPENSIVE, which willl drive up the already high cost of school lunches...... my opinion for what it's worth... cutting potatoes= ONE OF THE DUMBEST IDEAS EVER!!!!!
    They are very regulated on what they serve ... it's not like it is a bunch of hi carb food... it has to be balanced......
    Our school district has a fruit and veggies bar where te kids have a choice of assorted fruits and veggies.. choosing 2 or more of what they want... the government is also pulling that..... IDOITS
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are a good source of vitamins and minerals, and while I do think it is a good idea to limit the fried potato, I think maybe the focus should be more on changing the preperation of it.

Gosh, I didn't realize so many people wouldn't read the article.

Excerpt:

Potatoes do contain important nutrients—vitamin C, potassium, and vitamin B6, to name a few. But the potato is not the only source of these nutrients, nor is it the best: Cup for cup, for example, broccoli has nearly nine times as much vitamin C as a potato, and white beans have about double the potassium. Yet a cup of potatoes has a similar effect on blood sugar as a can of Coca Cola or a handful of jelly beans. (10) That’s a high metabolic price to pay for nutrients that children can easily get from other sources.

This article is idiotic

First they demonize potatoes based on GI, which is completely useless unless you're a sedentary diabletic consuming a high-carb hypercaloric diet.

But this was my favorite:

"A similar long-term study found that high potato and French fry intakes were linked to a greater risk of diabetes in women, and that replacing potatoes with whole grains could lower diabetes risk. "

LULZ, as if there were no other ways of preparing potatoes other than frying them.

Unfortunately, school corporations are not going to pay more people to prepare potatoes to be baked or mashed. That is labor intensive. They want them to come ready to reheat. Until school lunches are better prepared, not packaged, nutrition will suffer.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am from Idaho (THE POTATO STATE) and work in the school system, and my mother is a kitchen manager in the schools, we don't serve potatoes (or potato products)maybe once a week. Only an idoit would ban them from lunches.

*sigh* If you'd bothered to read the article, you'd know that noone is suggesting banning them.
    I watch them serve broccoli, and other vegetables and guess what... the kids THROW IT AWAY... but givem them mashed potatoes, or tiny baked potatoes and they EAT THEM... why cut what they will eat to give them something they will just throw in the trash.... Also the other substutite foods are MORE EXPENSIVE, which willl drive up the already high cost of school lunches...... my opinion for what it's worth... cutting potatoes= ONE OF THE DUMBEST IDEAS EVER!!!!!
    They are very regulated on what they serve ... it's not like it is a bunch of hi carb food... it has to be balanced......
    Our school district has a fruit and veggies bar where te kids have a choice of assorted fruits and veggies.. choosing 2 or more of what they want... the government is also pulling that..... IDOITS

Again, if you'd bothered to read the article, much of this is explained. But better to just rant about a subject line that discuss the actualy topic, I suppose.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I think I should be flattered, but I didn't write that article so it's not my theory. The UDSA proposal is to limit how many serviings of potatoes can be offered each week in school and replace those offerings with lower GI foods.

I still say it sounds like a good idea. Not a cure to all school problems, but a step in the right direction.
    No worries I knew it wasn't your article. If the proposal is to limit potatoes, how do they do that without having potatoes as an option?

Look they don't have many potato options so I think I'll have carrots and cauliflower instead......I'm sure I'll learn to love them over time......it's wonderful that the USDA is looking after my health and i'm not eating high GI foods.

I haven't read the entire USDA proposal but I assumed they just offer potatoes on fewer days per week.
    I think you missed my point. If they did only have potatoes 2 days a week, they would need to get rid of all starchy carbs so that the only option would be the vegetables. I wasn't aware potatoes were the only options available, I guess since the last time I checked the pizza, bread products and pasta options have be elimanated......

For clarification, my last statement was sarcasm, not to be taken literally :smile: .

I guess school districts are all different but here there is usually not a huge amount of choice each day, but I would think that pizza and broccoli is a healhier option than pizza and mashed potatoes. Sure, it's still probably not a healthy meal but it's better.

I really don't understand the 'if you aren't going to fix everything, don't fix anything' mindset. Maybe next they can work on making a healthier pizza. Maybe putting the broccoli on it.

Not necessarily. It's possible to make a healthy pizza, though few schools do. Neither would be as healthy as putting the broccoli on the side of a lean grilled chicken breast, but the point wasn't to get into a battle of examples.

No, the topic was about potatoes... I just think you like to argue with anyone who has a different opinion than you... I am sooooo done, this conversation has taken a turn for the unproductive. Thanks...

Actually, I prefer a reasonabl discussion or debate, but I have come to find that argument is the norm on these boards. Everyone gets defensive and derisive if you disagree with them. I've not insulted anyone with my opinions, I've simply stated them. But if I don't change them I am labeled "argumentative", even stupid.

I didn't post asking for opinions because I thought everyone would agree, though it would be nice if everyone were civil.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Trying to equate a potato with a can of soda is a ridiculous straw man tactic that's only useful for arguing for the sake of arguing. Cherry picking data and intentionally ignoring relevant facts to push your viewpoint is not "reasonable discussion," it's arguing to prove yourself right.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Trying to equate a potato with a can of soda is a ridiculous straw man tactic that's only useful for arguing for the sake of arguing. Cherry picking data and intentionally ignoring relevant facts to push your viewpoint is not "reasonable discussion," it's arguing to prove yourself right.

First of all, I didn't make the comparison, the head of Harvard's school of nutrition did. And the comparison was glycemic index related ONLY. You could argue whether GI is important, but the fact that they are similar is not an opinion, it's a fact.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options

Actually, I prefer a reasonabl discussion or debate, but I have come to find that argument is the norm on these boards. Everyone gets defensive and derisive if you disagree with them. I've not insulted anyone with my opinions, I've simply stated them. But if I don't change them I am labeled "argumentative", even stupid.

I didn't post asking for opinions because I thought everyone would agree, though it would be nice if everyone were civil.

I have read most of the posts, and I don't recal anyone calling you stupid. I think some may have thought the policy was, but no one just called you stupid. Furthermore, I believe most people were being civil. However, if you don't like that some people disagree with you, I suggest you refrain from posting on the boards, because it is every MFP's right (including you) to have an opinion and to post on any board they want to weigh in on. I sincerely hope you have a wonderful day.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I think that they need to start on broader topics. Like REMOVING the freaking pop machines from the schools and removing more of the crap food that they sell at the lunch time concession stands.

ALSO. Nutrition needs to start at home. anybody younger than 30. think back to highschool... grade school.... how many kids ate the greasy pizza and threw away the vegetable. we need to teach and encourage our children from home to eat healthier so they do it when out and about. don't put all the blame on others such as the school....

That's because they don't know how to cook them. They opened a can and threw it in a pot. No butter, no salt. Yuck.

Potatoes are okay, but they need to broaden their horizons with serving options and by golly, hire people that know how to actually cook (and get rid a lot of the silly, antiquated guidelines that they HAVE to adhere to--or better yet, just ignore them).

I remember school lunches being nasty and unappetizing as a whole. Greasy tater tots, mystery meat, nasty "pizza", bland over cooked veggies.

But, definitely agree that it does help for them to be eating similar healthier stuff at home.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I have read most of the posts, and I don't recal anyone calling you stupid. I think some may have thought the policy was, but no one just called you stupid. Furthermore, I believe most people were being civil. However, if you don't like that some people disagree with you, I suggest you refrain from posting on the boards, because it is every MFP's right (including you) to have an opinion and to post on any board they want to weigh in on. I sincerely hope you have a wonderful day.

I don't care if people disagree with me. As I just said in the post to which you replied, I appreciate a good civil debate of differing opinions. Do you have one on the OP?
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna say part of the problem is portion sizes (or the amount kids are actually eating).

Sure potatos are fine, but as stated above, it's all the kids will eat, and they'll toss the vegetables out.

1 cup of mashed potatos can weigh in from 300-400 calories or more. One cup may sound like a lot, but whens the last time you had a portion considerably smaller then your fist?

1 cup of something like carrots..50-60 calories.

It's the same with things like pasta. A small amount is fine. The amount people actually eat? 4x more then fine.

I wouldn't be happy knowin my kid ate an entire plate of potatos.

You guys like arguing about everything.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options

First of all, I didn't make the comparison, the head of Harvard's school of nutrition did. And the comparison was glycemic index related ONLY. You could argue whether GI is important, but the fact that they are similar is not an opinion, it's a fact.

It is certainly not a 'fact' as you say. Even if you were basing it purely on GI (and for the record, a potato with skin or cooked in fat will not have a similar GI to a sugary drink) - how many people do you know who just eat a plain, peeled potato? The foods that we tend to eat with potato - ie fats and proteins will remarkably lower the GI of the entire meal.

Raised blood sugar alone is actually a very healthy and normal bodily process. Sugary, non-nutritious beverages are not even close to the same as potatoes.
  • Fitnin6280
    Options

I don't care if people disagree with me. As I just said in the post to which you replied, I appreciate a good civil debate of differing opinions. Do you have one on the OP?

Yea actually I do, I posted it at the beginning of this thread, and personally I thought it was a pretty good one, but you took my post completely out of context and insulted me for not reading the article...
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I'm gonna say part of the problem is portion sizes (or the amount kids are actually eating).

Sure potatos are fine, but as stated above, it's all the kids will eat, and they'll toss the vegetables out.

1 cup of mashed potatos can weigh in from 300-400 calories or more. One cup may sound like a lot, but whens the last time you had a portion considerably smaller then your fist?

1 cup of something like carrots..50-60 calories.

It's the same with things like pasta. A small amount is fine. The amount people actually eat? 4x more then fine.

I wouldn't be happy knowin my kid ate an entire plate of potatos.

You guys like arguing about everything.

I do like "arguing" about many things, though I just consider it a discussion or debate. I think your point about portions is a valid one, but I also think it doesn't argue against a policy that substitutes lower GI vegetables for potatoes, as many of these foods are going to have less calories for the same size serving. So, the children will not visually see themselves as eating less. And what we see visually on our plate is important.

But I'm not sure I buy that all kids will throw away the other vegetables, though the article did provide some information on that. I think many children would be just as likely to eat broccoli with a little cheese on it as they would potatoes, other than french fries. I think whether they eat the healthier vegetables or not will depend a lot on what they are taught at home (unfortunately).
  • DannyA0130
    DannyA0130 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had potaotes every day this weak there are different potatoes. I like the Baby gold Potatoes.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options

Yea actually I do, I posted it at the beginning of this thread, and personally I thought it was a pretty good one, but you took my post completely out of context and insulted me for not reading the article...

Here ya go...
    Potatoes are a good source of vitamins and minerals, and while I do think it is a good idea to limit the fried potato, I think maybe the focus should be more on changing the preperation of it.

Excerpt:

Potatoes do contain important nutrients—vitamin C, potassium, and vitamin B6, to name a few. But the potato is not the only source of these nutrients, nor is it the best: Cup for cup, for example, broccoli has nearly nine times as much vitamin C as a potato, and white beans have about double the potassium. Yet a cup of potatoes has a similar effect on blood sugar as a can of Coca Cola or a handful of jelly beans. (10) That’s a high metabolic price to pay for nutrients that children can easily get from other sources.

Gosh, actually, I did read the article. I also live in an area where the economy is dependent on the potato crop. I am just trying to say everything in moderation! That is all. Fried=bad, baked=good... You can get lots of vitamins and minerals from grazing on your lawn too, but it does not meen that is the answer to the obesity problem. Just sayin...
  • Fitnin6280
    Options
    LOL - Thanks reese66 :smile:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Excerpt:

You do realize that the whole blood sugar thing only applies if you eat potatoes, by themselves, with no other food with them. As soon as you mix different foods together it completely changes the way it's digested and processed.

Also, "cup for cup" beans have about 3 times more calories than potatoes, and 3 times the total carbs.

The same could be said of Coca Cola (what you consume it with) but no one argues that should not be limited or even eliminated from schools.

Bcattoes, I quoted this from a post you made, are you trying to say you didn't say this? You are trying to equate potatoes with soda, which is asinine, honestly. What does one have in common with the other? For one thing, the average can of soda, with a GI of around 59, is actually considered average GI (a low GI food is anything 55 or below, and high is over 70) so I'm not even sure what the point of the comparison is, that neither are actually that bad?