What keeps you on the treadmill?

Options
Or on the elliptical, or cross-trainer, or whatever you use?

For me it's reading my kindle! It's easy to use on an exercise machine, it stays open unlike a book, and it's super lightweight. My rule is I'm not allowed to read until bed once I leave the gym, so sometimes if I'm in the middle of a chapter even if my 40 min is up I'll keep exercising just so I can get to the end! Definitely keeps me exercising longer.

TIP: it's really easy to slow down or not pay attention to your HR, pace, etc, so my trick is to keep a half eye on my pace and try to keep it anywhere above 180 strides per minute.

Replies

• Leviram
    Leviram Posts: 77
    Options
    Treadmill I love to listen to my music on my ipod so I usually play it and I go into lala land for a good hour. Of course that is until somebody interrupts me and wants to get on the treadmill.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Moving my legs so I don't fall on my *kitten*.

...erm...sorry...

Could you please repeat the question?
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I read my Kindle on the treadmill sometimes, too! Works like a charm.

I prefer running outside so far, but when I'm on a treadmill, the biggest thing that keeps me there is the gym daycare. LOL Working out (and then showering) has become my ''ME TIME", as a mom, with the kids having fun in the gym daycare.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    willpower and music.
  • ahmpierce1
    ahmpierce1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Good Morning America! If it weren't for that show, I'd never get my butt up and on the treadmill so early!
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My music and the fact the cardio room faces the mountains.

I don't see how people can read and workout. I'm going at it 100% and don't see how its possible.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    TV! when I'm at the gym and I'm watching a show, I will stay up to 1hr on the treadmill until the episode is over... ( not walking, running the whole time)
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Great music and/or fast-paced show, like an old "Alias" episode. Great question, by the way!:smile:
  • RichNice
    RichNice Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Music...I'll listen to my HTC Inspire while watching watching ESPN/UEFA soccer....it has to be something with a steady beat which matches my motion on the elliptical though...
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    The built in TV at the gym. I don't have TV at home so I schedule my work out around my favorite TV shows.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    watching reruns of various star trek incarnations (on my phone). Geek pride!
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    music or watching some old tv series I have never seen. I started watching brothers and sisters. It is okay and I can only watch it if I am on the treadmill. One episode in average 45 minutes. Works great!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Treadmill I love to listen to my music on my ipod so I usually play it and I go into lala land for a good hour. Of course that is until somebody interrupts me and wants to get on the treadmill.

People interrupt you to get on the treadmill?! Sounds rude to me, especially if you're at a gym!
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I watch Netflix movies and other shows on my phone. If you tune into that and not the fact that you are on the treadmill, it is not as bad and I usually stay on longer.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    If I can read, I'm not going hard enough.

I do like to watch TV.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    A hurt ACL - still need to get my training in while not aggrevating anything. Allows me to heal. I listen to Rush Limbaugh (the BIG voice on the right) while I do the elliptical. I plan on doing it ONE more time then its back to the pavement :smile:
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Music

and

The lady that insists on always running beside me on the next treadmill who thinks she can run faster and longer Ummmm no bioatch :noway:

I can not watch TV or read....I will fall that is all
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Lookimg at my fat jiggling in the mirror.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    nothing.
  • demonsoul
    demonsoul Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Man wow yall have some good answers, um mine is i get bored on my lunch break at work. so why not hit the treadmill