What keeps you on the treadmill?

Options

Replies

• glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Music and the big *kitten* I'm dragging along behind me all the time.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Music.
    Watching the beefed up guys lifting weights.
    Size 6 jeans.
    Victoria's Secret Holiday catolog.
    Screaming keep going you fatty in my head.
    Imagining one of those hot beefed up dudes who is lifting weights is watching me counting the minutes I can run for.

I am clearly insane.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If I can read, I'm not going hard enough.
    yup, pretty much...
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Nothing!! which is why I don't usually use indoor gym equipment. I much prefer to do things outside, I find it much more entertaining.
  • andreabball
    andreabball Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I STILL haven't found something that keeps me on the treadmill! I find I can run farther and faster outside than on the "dreadmill" any day! Today for example (it's raining here), I was on the treadmill for 30 minutes with my fav music AND the TV on and all I could do was look at the numbers to see what my pace was, how many more minutes I had, how many calories I was burning...it was making me crazy! I do much much much better when I can be outside, listening to my music, and enjoying my surroundings. Anyone else feel this way? I've gotta get a sweatproof/waterproof case for my iphone, or I'm never gonna make it through on the crappy rainy days!!
    -Andi
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Once I started having to run outside for my long runs I can't get back on the dreadmill. Anything longer than 10 minutes on that thing and I want to shoot myself in the face.
    If I'm running, I'm running outdoors I don't think there's anything that could get me to run for too long on it. On the flipside I don't even feel the need listen to music when I run outdoors.
  • Leviram
    Leviram Posts: 77
    Options
    Yes. And it's annoying. Then it's a community gym and I guess they don't want to go on the other stuff we have. I courteous if I see people on the treadmills I just go do the stationary bike until they are done or I go over to the elliptical.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    My music keeps me going wherever I am ... treadmill, ARC, elliptical, bike, outside running...
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I broke up with most exercise equipment. I'd rather run outside. How I continue running outside when I'm bored/tired? I don't run laps, or drive to a park to run, so I have to run back to my apartment.
  • andreabball
    andreabball Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Once I started having to run outside for my long runs I can't get back on the dreadmill. Anything longer than 10 minutes on that thing and I want to shoot myself in the face.
    If I'm running, I'm running outdoors I don't think there's anything that could get me to run for too long on it. On the flipside I don't even feel the need listen to music when I run outdoors.

AGREED!! I find it so hard now that I've started running outside!!
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I can't hear anything my kids are yelling at me from the top of the stairs when I'm on the treadmill. That keeps me on there!!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options

Same here. I loathe the treadmill. It is mind numbing boring compared to running outside. I do workout on an elliptical or a stairmaster when I don't run outside. With the elliptical I just watch the TVs at the gym. With the stairmaster I hold on for dear life and keep moving lest I fall off and die.
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I tried reading on the treadmill, but just can't do it.

Like everyone else, music keeps me going and so does tv. I love that the gym I go to has tvs on all of the cardio equipment. Oh, and it helps that there are giant glass windows to look out onto the street to watch the world go by.

A mental trick that keeps me going is thinking to myself how great that post-workout shower will feel after a long, sweaty workout.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    It's funny that people have said they aren't working hard enough if they are capable of reading... I can't keep up a conversation, that's for sure (& I thought that was the gage we were to roughly use), but reading isn't more difficult than watching TV (at least for me). LOL A little more brainpower, I guess, but no more body power than watching a rerun.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Gravity.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I STILL haven't found something that keeps me on the treadmill! I find I can run farther and faster outside than on the "dreadmill" any day! Today for example (it's raining here), I was on the treadmill for 30 minutes with my fav music AND the TV on and all I could do was look at the numbers to see what my pace was, how many more minutes I had, how many calories I was burning...it was making me crazy! I do much much much better when I can be outside, listening to my music, and enjoying my surroundings. Anyone else feel this way? I've gotta get a sweatproof/waterproof case for my iphone, or I'm never gonna make it through on the crappy rainy days!!
    -Andi

Same for me BUT I've been on the treadmill lately trying to work on my speed. I always have music blasting, and I like to watch the guys lifting weights, and if that fails then I imagine I'm outside running. I can't read or look at anything close up bc of motion sickness :(
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Gravity.

That's just a theory.
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I love to listen to podcasts. I especially like This American Life, RadioLab, and The Moth. Getting drawn into a well-told story (fiction or non) keeps me going. Sometimes I even go longer than I planned because I have to hear the end of the story.

Treadmill: bleah. I walk/run outside whenever possible.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    -Andi

Same here. I had to run on the treadmill today and I was pretty sure I was going to die.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Gravity.

That's just a theory.

it's the LAW!