kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    If only Pixy Stix had vitamins.
    pixy_stix_bulk2.jpg
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Well, let's see.

I don't track sugar and never have (disclaimer: I don't have diabetes or pre-diabetes - if you do, you probably need to be aware of it).

I do, however, eat a lot of fruit. At least one banana (often 2) each day. A large Granny Smith apple every day. Lots and lots of baby carrots (3+ servings every day). I drink original almond milk, which has sugar. I eat bread, which has sugar.

I don't eat a lot of added or refined sugar, except for an occasional treat.

I have shed 109 pounds since mid September 2010. I've dropped my body fat from 56% to 22%.

I'm going to say that consuming sugar really didn't "hinder" my weight loss.
    Just wanted to say.......Great transformation, good for you.
  • hcf006
    hcf006 Posts: 4
    Options
    Well that Dr. Oz comment was kinda rude.....its called research
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and I promise you, sugar is sugar!

This is statement is ignorant. FOR BLOOD GLUCOSE, SUGAR IS SUGAR. As a Diebetic, you should know THIS is taking it out of context. The question isnt about what affects your Glucose. And dont question my basis or background....I've done PLENTY of research having lost my wife to diebetes Type 1.

Now, as for Refined and unrefined sugars...SIMPLY PUT: Raw sugar contains roughly eleven calories per teaspoon and has the same vitamin and mineral consistency that is found in the juice from the sugarcane plant. These minerals include Phosphorus, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, and Potassium. when sugar is refined and processed there are many harmful ingredients that are added to the sugar as a result. Unrefined raw sugar does not have these harmful chemicals. Some of these include: Phosphoric Acid, Sulfur Dioxide, and Formic Acid.

So if you believe Sugar is Sugar...enjoy rasing the Acid levels in your body.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I have a theory. I know that I got fat from eating too much fat. But I believe that eating too much sugar is what has KEPT me fat, even when I began exercising and counting calories. I believe that because my sugar intake was a bit on the high side, there was always readily available energy to burn, so my body did not bother breaking down any of my stored fat to be used as energy.

Now that I am really really really keeping my sugar intake low, the weight is coming off, I think because my body has to burn the fat to provide the energy.

re: sugar is sugar>> without a doubt, if you are diabetic, it matters not if it is a square of chocolate or a bowl of strawberries. sugar is sugar. and dangerous.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    The problem is, the USDA guidelines are for added sugars, not naturally occurring sugars. By including the sugars from fruit in the sugar totals, MFP is really comparing apples and oranges.
    I see what you did there.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I have a theory. I know that I got fat from eating too much fat. But I believe that eating too much sugar is what has KEPT me fat, even when I began exercising and counting calories. I believe that because my sugar intake was a bit on the high side, there was always readily available energy to burn, so my body did not bother breaking down any of my stored fat to be used as energy.

Now that I am really really really keeping my sugar intake low, the weight is coming off, I think because my body has to burn the fat to provide the energy.

re: sugar is sugar>> without a doubt, if you are diabetic, it matters not if it is a square of chocolate or a bowl of strawberries. sugar is sugar. and dangerous.

You got fat from eating too many calories. No single macro makes you fat.

I also looked at your diary. You think that lowering sugar helped you lose weight? Not that you are eating 700-800 calories a day?

Hmm.
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options

I also looked at your diary. You think that lowering sugar helped you lose weight? Not that you are eating 700-800 calories a day?

Hmm.

i just gotta love what dietists have to say ^^
  • Crawflowr
    Crawflowr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The vitamins in most fruit is overrated, most only have Vit C and you can get all the body needs in a day from one fifth of a red pepper. Fruit has evolved to be attractive to animals as a way for plants distributing their seeds. They are all about advertising, a bright colour and bit of sugar to sweeten the deal, but there is no advantage to the plant to pack them full of any real nutrients that the plant needs for its own growth. Vegetables have all the good vitamins.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit.

I eat cookies.

I've lost 60lbs and have kept it off.

For me, sugar is sugar and clearly my body isn't bothered by it. I've gone from a size 18/20 pants to a size 8/10 pants.

Sugar isn't the root of all evil - just like fat isn't the root of all evil. Moderation is key, people.

The "diet" industry (those people who want you to buy their products to lose weight) will tell you anything you wanna hear to make you believe something is "horrible" and to avoid it. Honestly.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Sugar is my favorite food group.
    elf-2.jpg
  • Ashbee1224
    Options
    Ive listented to everything that everyone here has said, but unlike you they havn't been rude or derogatory with an all knowing attitude, the way you put things is just not an acceptable way to speak to someone you don't know.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

Reads this, looks at diary then:

BloodsportAAAAAAA.gif
  • Uerzer
    Options
    Moderation is key, people.

That!
    And doing what MFP app tells you to do... the rest is just optional :laugh: (even exercise, its healthy and highly recommended but not compulsory)
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Sugar-Let's be honest!

Sounds like something you'd say when you're about to break up with somebody
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

Reads this, looks at diary then:

BloodsportAAAAAAA.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "sugar." Sucrose is sucrose and fructose is fructose, etc. There's still research being done on whether or not highly processed (refined) sugars like HFCS actually get shunted to the liver without being broken down. The theory being that the subsequent process would then prompt insulin resistance.

It'll be interesting to see how future research comes along.

Actually sucrose is composed of two sugars, fructose and glucose.
  • Uerzer
    Options
    duty_calls.png

Somebody asked for opinions, we all got opinions (some of those actually are facts).

If you have your own theories and never studied physiology or w/e, feel free to compare them with some reliable sources before thinking they are facts!
  • Uerzer
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "sugar." Sucrose is sucrose and fructose is fructose, etc. There's still research being done on whether or not highly processed (refined) sugars like HFCS actually get shunted to the liver without being broken down. The theory being that the subsequent process would then prompt insulin resistance.

It'll be interesting to see how future research comes along.

Actually sucrose is composed of two sugars, fructose and glucose.

And it all ends becoming ATP! :bigsmile:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Hmm.

i just gotta love what dietists have to say ^^

Is there something wrong with what was said? *confused*