Is a divorced man less attractive?

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    However, having a ring on my finger seems to be an attraction to some women. :laugh: I get way more female attention since I got married.

I need to get me a ring.

Wedding bands, dogs, and babies ... chick magnets.

What is it about the wedding band that is appealing? Are they seen as more responsible and willing to commit?

I think it's just knowing that another woman thought he was marriage-worthy, so the immediate assumption is that he must be a halfway decent guy. Of course, I've been hit on by men wearing wedding bands so many times that I almost think the opposite now.

But let's be clear ... any woman who actually makes a move on a guy wearing a ring cannot be trusted, so I would take the dog and the kid to the park instead of the pawn shop.

It's like having a Woman's stamp of approval. It's sort of like being FDA approved, neither of them mean it's good for you though.
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    I don't think so, as long as he's not bitter at his ex or unwilling to open up and trust that I'm not out to make him fail. Sometimes it's better because they tend to have a little more maturity.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member

Same reason my parents tried to give puppies away and nobody wanted them. They put a price of $150 on them and they all sold. It's our nature to think, "Oh, someone else thinks this is valuable? Maybe it is!"

This is true. Then there's also social proof and wanting what you can't have.

However, I think a big reason is that for a lot of men (though not all!) a good marriage brings out the best in them. Women can civilising influence on certain men. They tend to look better, dress better, take care of themselves more, and generally be more relaxed in a woman's company given the support of their partner.

I have read studies that show that men tend to be happier when they are married yet women tend to be happier when they are single. Life's a funny old thing.
  • No, the reverse. An older man with no 'history' rings alarm bells for me! Preferably no mental ex constantly vying for attention though please ;-)

'Older' ie over 30 I should say!
    Let me see if I got this straight... if a guy is over 30 but HASN'T totally had his life turned upside down by divorce, he's suspect? But at the same time, he can't have a "mental ex?" Convenient way to narrow the field, I guess. W/E :grumble:

Think about it... if he doesn't HAVE the mental ex, chances are good he IS the mental ex. Have fun with that. LOL
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    A divorced man is far more attractive than a married one to me.

A divorced man who has not worked thorough his post-marriage issues and spent significant time getting back into himself as an individual is a HUGE problem to me.

I agree. When someone has recently divorced, they aren't ready for me yet. People need time to work through their "stuff".
    A buddy of mine (a guy who is on his 4th marriage) told me that his therapist told him that it can take up to half as long as the relationship was to get over the relationship.

How's that for 3rd hand advice? Seriously though, think about it. A person married for 20 years, now divorced, it takes some real time to work through his or her issues. The Whats, Whys, and Hows.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    I think Im more attractive now that Im divorced

Just Sayin!
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Nope. A mature woman will understand that it takes two to make a marriage work. That is unless you're a mass murderer or something along those lines.

Agree. on both statements. :)
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,850 Member
    i do happen to think it's kind of funny that my ex (who admittedly is mildly attractive) is getting turned down rather often thanks to his divorce even though i left him...

then again, i left him after 3 years of marriage due to abuse. that isn't a red flag. that's a giant flashing red stop sign.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    No, the reverse. An older man with no 'history' rings alarm bells for me! Preferably no mental ex constantly vying for attention though please ;-)

'Older' ie over 30 I should say!
    Let me see if I got this straight... if a guy is over 30 but HASN'T totally had his life turned upside down by divorce, he's suspect? But at the same time, he can't have a "mental ex?" Convenient way to narrow the field, I guess. W/E :grumble:

Think about it... if he doesn't HAVE the mental ex, chances are good he IS the mental ex. Have fun with that. LOL

I think it really just depends on the circumstances. We all make our own judgments and while some women might say "no way", six months from now that story might change.
  • King_Bee
    King_Bee Posts: 275 Member
    i do happen to think it's kind of funny that my ex (who admittedly is mildly attractive) is getting turned down rather often thanks to his divorce even though i left him...

then again, i left him after 3 years of marriage due to abuse. that isn't a red flag. that's a giant flashing red stop sign.

I'd hardly call that a man.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    what the hell does this have to do with fitness...why dont you take this crap to facebook, twitter or my space....

CMOM MAN!

give everybody a break

signed
    Trying to get fit

*checks thread board....* hmm, says Chit-chat, fun, and games. Comes back... Yep, says chit-chat, fun, and games. :flowerforyou:
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    I have no real opinion on the question, but thought of something funny to add. I'm a divorce attorney. I represented someone recently in a post-divorce modification proceeding. My client was her former husband's 3rd wife. The former husband has since moved on to marriage #4. My client had "reached out" to the 4th wife to let her know all of the "evils" of the husband...she even wanted to make sure that fourth wife knew she was the fourth wife and that one certain, short term marriage should not be overlooked by her. I think she even sent her the marriage certificate from the earlier marriage. My client called the new wife "fourth try" whenever speaking with the former husband. Anyway, during her deposition, my client called her former husband a "serial marryier". good times.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Just went through it myself, and wondered the same thing about a divorced woman. The only deal breaker for me would be if the guy cheated. Already been there and done that... Or at least had that done to me!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member

A divorced man who has not worked thorough his post-marriage issues and spent significant time getting back into himself as an individual is a HUGE problem to me.

I agree. When someone has recently divorced, they aren't ready for me yet. People need time to work through their "stuff".
    A buddy of mine (a guy who is on his 4th marriage) told me that his therapist told him that it can take up to half as long as the relationship was to get over the relationship.

How's that for 3rd hand advice? Seriously though, think about it. A person married for 20 years, now divorced, it takes some real time to work through his or her issues. The Whats, Whys, and Hows.
    Exactly. I have the unfortunate experience of knowing this 1st hand. A 20 year marriage due to an unintended pregnancy and delusions of people "changing" meant this ex of mine missed out on his 20s - totally. He forced himself into the role for 20 years, divorced, skipped the in-between time of discovering himself and got with me. Gave me the ol' "I've always known who I am" and since things were good then, I believed that. But when things were bad, I swear to you that every issue we dealt with came from his desires to get those 20's back. I was already 10 years younger than him. But I got my 20s out of my system. We were not in sync. He is now best friends with his 27 year old cousin, has a 25 year old g/f, hangs out with his 21 year old son like he was his homeboy, and lives that life he never got to have. That's a life I did have and don't want to have again. Can I say I wasted my time with him? No. But it was very painful to experience because we were together for years. It really wasn't fair for him to bring that baggage and then hide it from me. There were plenty of times he had an "out".
  • solpwr
    I have no real opinion on the question, but thought of something funny to add. I'm a divorce attorney. I represented someone recently in a post-divorce modification proceeding. My client was her former husband's 3rd wife. The former husband has since moved on to marriage #4. My client had "reached out" to the 4th wife to let her know all of the "evils" of the husband...she even wanted to make sure that fourth wife knew she was the fourth wife and that one certain, short term marriage should not be overlooked by her. I think she even sent her the marriage certificate from the earlier marriage. My client called the new wife "fourth try" whenever speaking with the former husband. Anyway, during her deposition, my client called her former husband a "serial marryier". good times.

Brutal.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    I am assuming you are the one divorced? One thing divorce is great for, weightloss! I had to try and find the positive somewhere!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    It's up for discussion, based on the reason for the divorce mostly. If she was say, of completely different morals and religious views, then that makes sense. If it just didn't work out but he tried, that's fine too. Sometimes it just isn't right. But if he cheated, or was really controlling, or bailed at the first sign of trouble without trying to work it out, then I might think twice. Those aren't just for divorce though, the divorce itself means less to me than the way he treated past women, period.

Oh and if he had kids, I'd want to know that he worked with his ex to make sure the best interest of his kids was his first priority.
  • solpwr

Exactly. I have the unfortunate experience of knowing this 1st hand. A 20 year marriage due to an unintended pregnancy and delusions of people "changing" meant this ex of mine missed out on his 20s - totally. He forced himself into the role for 20 years, divorced, skipped the in-between time of discovering himself and got with me. Gave me the ol' "I've always known who I am" and since things were good then, I believed that. But when things were bad, I swear to you that every issue we dealt with came from his desires to get those 20's back. I was already 10 years younger than him. But I got my 20s out of my system. We were not in sync. He is now best friends with his 27 year old cousin, has a 25 year old g/f, hangs out with his 21 year old son like he was his homeboy, and lives that life he never got to have. That's a life I did have and don't want to have again. Can I say I wasted my time with him? No. But it was very painful to experience because we were together for years. It really wasn't fair for him to bring that baggage and then hide it from me. There were plenty of times he had an "out".

Haha, this is why I personally have totally avoided relationships post divorce. And have still avoided them after 5 years. Why would I want to burden a future wife with my friggen personal issues? I had a whole bunch of stuff I felt I missed out on. I'm making sure I get the crap I think I missed out of my system first. If I still think about it, its probably still in my system. Right now my fitness goals have become my preoccupation. That's my 20's fantasy, let's face it. Maybe someday I'll find another relationship; never say never. Probably not just now though.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member

This is the reason I actually like meeting guys in their 30s who have never been married. It's not that I think less of divorced men at all. But I think there's a lot to be said for a man who has spent some time on his own and figured out who he is and what he wants out of life. I think there's a lot more certainty there than with someone who missed out on being "single and free" because he got married right after high school or college when he had no clue about anything.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member

Haha, this is why I personally have totally avoided relationships post divorce. And have still avoided them after 5 years. Why would I want to burden a future wife with my friggen personal issues? I had a whole bunch of stuff I felt I missed out on. I'm making sure I get the crap I think I missed out of my system first. If I still think about it, its probably still in my system. Right now my fitness goals have become my preoccupation. That's my 20's fantasy, let's face it. Maybe someday I'll find another relationship; never say never. Probably not just now though.
    Oh believe me, this is a lesson it won't take more than once to have learned. The 1st lesson is not to ignore even small red flags. In hindsight, they all mattered.I think a lot of guys have the 20s fantasy since most marry in their 20s. And I don't even have any ill-feelings for when a guy needs to have those years. He was just in denial that such a thing existed. Couldn't be him! No way! LOL