Eggs the ultimate superfood?

Options
No I'm not a professional nutritionist (though pehaps I have been a professional eater). However it dawned on me how many successful Mfp friends have eggs / egg whites in their diet and how eggs seem to be the staple of many athletes and bodybuilders.

I probably don't eat enough eggs myself but I found myself very hungry after a near 2 hour walk. I had a few light snacks such as popcorn and yoghurt but they didn't touch the sides. So I had to bring dinner forward - but what to eat? I was famished. Spotted the eggs in the fridge and decided to have a simple egg sandwich. 140 cals for the 2 eggs (packed with protein) and another 160 for a bread roll!

And you know what? I ain't hungry any more! Sure it's not a "proper" dinner but it probably filled me up as well as half a chicken dinner!

And then I remembered: many years ago (in my early 20s) I was at my lightest, very lean, muscular and fit. What was my staple food then? you guessed it: eggs!

Am I going loopy or are eggs perhaps the ultimate superfood?

What does everyone else think about eggs? What's your ultimate superfood that you eat?

Replies

• fightingforfiftyfive
    Options
    Tuna is my pick.. so versatile and filling!
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I don't know about ultimate superfood but I do know eggs are nommy, however they are cooked and I will always have at least 2 per day...eggs ftw!!!
  • paniologal
    paniologal Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    They are very satisfying. I really like them hard boiled but I don't really eat them as much as I probably should. I get a lot of protein without eating them, but I don't worry about my protein levels too much.
  • pinkminy
    pinkminy Posts: 286
    Options
    yes ... eggs are fantastic, they contain so much goodness, especially the whites, only the yolks are the fatty part but the whites are really great they give you loads of nutrition and are well worth the calories (which are fewer than in many other things), and they are so quick to cook, easy to eat and very enjoyable and versatile. :smile:
  • nicxox
    nicxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm sat here right now eating my favourite breakfast - a bowl of scrambled eggs! =D
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    If I want to cook something simple, egg's the go - Omelets for me - throw in some capsicum, tomatoes and even mushroom.

As for "superfoods", I never seem to get enough fruit and veggies, and I love kicking off the day with 2 bowls of cereal - one if I know I'll be eating more later on.
  • Redladystl
    Redladystl Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Amazing I just read an article about eggs and found out they are very healthy and nutritious, the whole thing. I am changing my breakfast to more eggs instead of the super cholesterol fighting oatmeal, all the time. I love eggs.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I definitely eat less on mornings that I have eggs for breakfast, and I always keep hard boiled egg whites in the fridge for my snack attacks. So filling on so few calories and they're good for you!
  • Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    No I'm not a professional nutritionist (though pehaps I have been a professional eater). However it dawned on me how many successful Mfp friends have eggs / egg whites in their diet and how eggs seem to be the staple of many athletes and bodybuilders.

I probably don't eat enough eggs myself but I found myself very hungry after a near 2 hour walk. I had a few light snacks such as popcorn and yoghurt but they didn't touch the sides. So I had to bring dinner forward - but what to eat? I was famished. Spotted the eggs in the fridge and decided to have a simple egg sandwich. 140 cals for the 2 eggs (packed with protein) and another 160 for a bread roll!

And you know what? I ain't hungry any more! Sure it's not a "proper" dinner but it probably filled me up as well as half a chicken dinner!

And then I remembered: many years ago (in my early 20s) I was at my lightest, very lean, muscular and fit. What was my staple food then? you guessed it: eggs!

Am I going loopy or are eggs perhaps the ultimate superfood?

What does everyone else think about eggs? What's your ultimate superfood that you eat?

Hey Steve!

I only take eggs in omelette like once or twice a week. Liver is not really friend of eggs... but anyway eggs white is great too.

What I do in my training routine is the following, maybe could help you:

After my jogging routine (40min, for example) I eat an apple or half banana, that makes me feel good for the weightlifting training.

If, after the training, I am hungry and it´s not dinner time I eat an apple and drink water. Is well known that, sometimes, our body mistakes the thirsty with the hungry feeling. So I drink water and the apple helps me to wait for the dinner and even more... I STAY AWAY FROM THE KITCHEN till dinner time.

But staying away from the kitchen is something that i discovered not to long ago. I realize that if I was having lunch at home with friends, which happens really often, I need to go out of the table when I finished my meal not to be tempted. They dont have to feel guilty when they display all that amount of food just in front of me and I dont feel guilty when i abandone the table and go to the TV area or so...

Brgrds / José D.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I tend to only eat eggs on a weekend I had them as a treat as thought for some reason they were high in fat. I like scrambled egg on gluten free toast though and sometimes do an omelette in week too to use up left over mushrooms and bits of pepper and or bacon/onion.. makes a lovely quick lunch though no idea how many calories it is all with all those ingredients, although only a handful of each ingredient and 2 eggs. (sometime have bit of grated cheese on middle too if have any left).

I think my dog prefers it best when I have scrambled eggs cos she usually gets a nice portion too in her bowl! :laugh: She used to get upset tummy a lot as puppy so often got scrambled egg with a bit of chicken in it, they seem to be her favourites and she's healthier than me.. lol! ... Maybe I should have scrambled egg and chicken more often!!!
  • LisaJ135
    Options
    Well actually eggs are the most complete nutritionally protein food ! and that is why those who weight lift eat lots of them, you have to have enough protein in your system to build muscle. Every lb. of muscle burns 3 X s the calories then any other tissue, fat cells, etc.. Just at resting state. Which means build muscle and you get to eat more without gaining weight. Thats why I spend the time to gain muscle as I am dieting again.
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    Eggs are my favourite healthy food! I adore them. I have them scrambled with a little cheese and cherry tomatos. Or I have an omelette with spinach. I used to have a boiled egg as a snack!

I buy a carton of 12 a week, and they only last me about that long!!!
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    We have just had our first few eggs from our new chickens today. My hubby is eating them. I love eggs, I recently learnt how to cook the japanese rolled omelet (don't ask me to spell it, I really don't know!) its beaten eggs with soy sauce and you gradually cook the egg adding spinach between each roll, then you cut it into slices. It is SOOOOOOO nice! I would have it for dinner!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have eggs for breakfast every day. I make an omelet with 1 whole egg and 4 egg whites, and I fill it with spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, a little bit of low sodium deli ham, and parmasan cheese. It tastes really good and is even better for you that it tastes, lol.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I :heart: eggs....I mainly have them fried with low fat ham, bbq sauce, slice of cheese and sometimes some beetroot on a sandwich.......

I have a kambrook omelet maker and I use this to cook them........
  • ukloveme
    ukloveme Posts: 125
    Options
    Eggs are superfood, very low in calories. An egg white omlette with vegtables that will keep you going for hours.
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    i love eggs too! :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    yes ... eggs are fantastic, they contain so much goodness, especially the whites, only the yolks are the fatty part but the whites are really great they give you loads of nutrition and are well worth the calories (which are fewer than in many other things), and they are so quick to cook, easy to eat and very enjoyable and versatile. :smile:

This isn't actually true. All the nutrition in an egg is in the yolk. The whites are pretty much empty, just a few amino acids. The yolk contains the rest of the proteins, plus all the vitamins and minerals.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I was eating eggs quite often, because, like many of you, I find that they're very filling. But despite a much healthier diet, my cholesterol has gone up, so it makes me nervous about having eggs as often now.
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite snacks is a hard boiled egg with tomato sauce and mushrooms. Now I think I need to go boil some, all this talk is making me want one.