Eggs the ultimate superfood?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks contain a ton of vitamins that most Americans are deficient in, mostly due to a reduction in egg yolk consumption.

"a ton of vitamins" Such as?

Riboflavin
    Pantothenic acid
    B6
    Folate
    B12
    Vitamin A
    Vitamin E
    Vitamin D
    Vitamin K
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks contain a ton of vitamins that most Americans are deficient in, mostly due to a reduction in egg yolk consumption.

Umm... Wow. Bcatts are you serious?
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options

/facepalm
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yes, I am. I eat very few eggs because I don't like them (I do not believe they are unhealthy, for the record). I've never had a vitamin deficiency so I'm curious what this "ton of vitamins" that most Americans are deficient in are. Granted, I probably eat a healthier diet than most Americans because most Americans eat pretty crappy diets.

The question was not meant as deragatory, I was just curious.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Not to mention Omega 3's, carotenoids, and choline.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I love eggs....I go through 2 dozen eggs a week...by myself lol. But I don't like the yolk, not because I don't think its bad for you, I just don't like the taste...yuck.. but after I found out all the benefits I try to keep one yolk in my eggs.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Riboflavin
    Pantothenic acid
    B6
    Folate
    B12
    Vitamin A
    Vitamin E
    Vitamin D
    Vitamin K

And most Americans are really deficient in all those? That surprises me.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    yes ... eggs are fantastic, they contain so much goodness, especially the whites, only the yolks are the fatty part but the whites are really great they give you loads of nutrition and are well worth the calories (which are fewer than in many other things), and they are so quick to cook, easy to eat and very enjoyable and versatile. :smile:

This isn't actually true. All the nutrition in an egg is in the yolk. The whites are pretty much empty, just a few amino acids. The yolk contains the rest of the proteins, plus all the vitamins and minerals.

that's not true. although there is some protein in the yolk, the yolk is mainly cholesterol. it's definitely healthier to eat only the egg whites (or mostly, like a whole egg to two egg whites ratio)

Actually, egg yolks are a great source of iron....that's what I was told by the doctor anyways when he was trying to get my iron levels up.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    This isn't actually true. All the nutrition in an egg is in the yolk. The whites are pretty much empty, just a few amino acids. The yolk contains the rest of the proteins, plus all the vitamins and minerals.

And all of the flavor! The yolks are the best part, it always makes me sad to know people toss the yolks. :cry:

Me, too! Wish they would toss the yolks my way. :)
    No kidding. I would make so much custard it isn't even funny.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options

Granted, I probably eat a healthier diet than most Americans because most Americans eat pretty crappy diets.

LMAO! Wow! Full of yourself much? Wherever you are at, please stay there and eat your healthy food.
  • Ebbykins
    Options

Yes, I am. I eat very few eggs because I don't like them (I do not believe they are unhealthy, for the record). I've never had a vitamin deficiency so I'm curious what this "ton of vitamins" that most Americans are deficient in are. Granted, I probably eat a healthier diet than most Americans because most Americans eat pretty crappy diets.

By your having to question the nutritional value of an egg, I take it that you have no experience in actual nutrition studies then? And yes most Americans are low in these nutrients because they are eating them from "fortified" sources, which are very hard for their body to assimilate the nutrients from, rather than natural easy to absorb whole food sources such as eggs, meat, organ meat etc because they've been taught that fat is bad, and become deficient in these nutrients.
  • joejccva71
    Options

Riboflavin
    Pantothenic acid
    B6
    Folate
    B12
    Vitamin A
    Vitamin E
    Vitamin D
    Vitamin K

Look it up then Bcatts. Go to your famous harvard science website.
  • bcattoes
    Options

By your having to question the nutritional value of an egg, I take it that you have no experience in actual nutrition studies then? And yes most Americans are low in these nutrients because they are eating them from "fortified" sources, which are very hard for their body to assimilate the nutrients from, rather than natural easy to absorb whole food sources such as eggs, meat, organ meat etc because they've been taught that fat is bad, and become deficient in these nutrients.

I'm sorry, when did I question the nutriional value of an egg??
  • joejccva71
    Options

When you said "a ton of vitamins..such as?"

You don't call that questioning whether or not an egg yolk has nutritional value?
  • Ebbykins
    Options
    LOL. ""a ton of vitamins" Such as?" Um, go pick up an actual text book on nutrition instead of flaming the boards with stupid questions you try to pass off as having to pretended to "innocently" ask.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Riboflavin
    Pantothenic acid
    B6
    Folate
    B12
    Vitamin A
    Vitamin E
    Vitamin D
    Vitamin K

Look it up then Bcatts. Go to your famous harvard science website.

I will. But it might interest you to know that the good folks at HSPH have always maintained that eggs are not unhealthy, even decades ago when everyone else said they were. I remember reading an article written by Dr. Willet more than a decade ago saying that there had never been a study showing eggs as unhealthy, and he only makes recommendations based on evidence.
  • crazygirl78
    Options
    My mother keeps telling me to eat more eggs b/c I don't eat much meat. Can eggs be considered a meat substitute?
  • Ebbykins
    Options
    bcattoes you are troll, albeit a well meaning unintentioned troll, but still a troll.
  • bcattoes
    Options

When you said "a ton of vitamins..such as?"

You don't call that questioning whether or not an egg yolk has nutritional value?

I was asking about the deficiency part, not whether the vitamins were in the egg.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    bcattoes you are troll, albeit a well meaning unintentioned troll, but still a troll.

Geez!! Why did you send me a personal message if you were going to get all bent out of shape about my reply and troll the boards calling me names after. I told you before hand that one or two studies wouldn't change my mind.