C25K Training

Options

Replies

• Halothane
    Halothane Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the addictive world of running all you newbies! Please stick with it if you think you enjoy it. There are days where it's tough to push through the MENTAL hurdles of running that last minute of your interval.....but your BODY is physically capable of it. Running is as much of a mind game as a physical game......if not MORE mind over body.

There will be tough days. There will be days or weeks you feel the need to repeat. Get out there and enjoy the road, the sun, and the wind!
  • learning2bfit
    learning2bfit Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    speaking of mental, I had to talk myself thru alot today...but I finished...W1D2 complete!

I actually incorporated the workout today in a 5k fun run/walk during lunch. We finished in 50 min! Proud of me! Yea

Keep up the good work everyone!:
    happy:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    speaking of mental, I had to talk myself thru alot today...but I finished...W1D2 complete!

I actually incorporated the workout today in a 5k fun run/walk during lunch. We finished in 50 min! Proud of me! Yea

Keep up the good work everyone!:
    happy:
    Great job! You now have a baseline time for a 5K, too. As you progress through C25K you'll find your time keeps improving. :)
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    just finished W1D2 this morning......im in
  • debee2000
    Options
    Started Nov 1st, here is what I posted to a new friend in MFP.

Well, I did get up and walk/run for the first time today. Got to be quick about the message because I leave for work in less then 10 minutes.

So how did it go? If I didn't have the music and prompts I know I wouldn't have done as well. Altough I didn't make it through it. I did the 5 min brisk walk, then I don't know how many intervals and then 5 minutes cool down to a total of 21 minutes / 1 full mile? 108 calories it showed (have to replace my heart monitor so it is basing it on weight and speed.

I am not upset that I couldn't do it all because I have never run before and know because of the inactivity of my life, that it will take me just a little longer. I thought maybe 2 weeks at week 1 but right now, I will say that would be the most I would allow but will try to shorten that.

have u read body 4 life? i was doing exercise program from that the last few months and liked the strength program.

catch you after work
    Deb
  • debee2000
    Options
    thanks, Katie, you are an inspiration. Since I couldn't complete w1d1. I just know I need to keep at it.
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    Hi Deb!! I am going to get body 4 life - hoping they have it for the BN Nook.
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    W1D2 complete
  • debee2000
    Options
    W1D2 not completed again but I did get a little further. I won't give up, I will keep at it because I want to this to work.

Shoes..... I think I have the wrong tennis shoes. I had toe cramps a couple days ago at night but didn't think nothing of it but I had my left toes start to cramp up before I even head to the shower!

Suggestions on shoes that are $30 or less? I really am on a restricted budget.

Keep up the good work everyone!
    Deb
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    W1D2 not completed again but I did get a little further. I won't give up, I will keep at it because I want to this to work.

Shoes..... I think I have the wrong tennis shoes. I had toe cramps a couple days ago at night but didn't think nothing of it but I had my left toes start to cramp up before I even head to the shower!

Suggestions on shoes that are $30 or less? I really am on a restricted budget.

Keep up the good work everyone!
    Deb

Morning all!
    Great job Deb, all you ocan do is try; last time I tried c25k I was unable to do it so I feel ya! today is a new day!! Shoes, walmart normally has decent running/walking shoes - I have nike and am OK with them but window shopping for someing different without so much heel height (if that made any sense!)

Have a wonderful day all!!
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    w1 d2 complete.

Any suggestions for doing this on the treadmill?
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Planning on W2 D2 today...:smile:
  • gettingfit65
    Options
    Hi,
    Just google C25K and the site will come up with treadmill version underneath. You can print off the time sheets there. That's what I do and just listen to whatever music I want then. Or you can download there music as well with the voice prompts.

Good luck.
  • gettingfit65
    Options
    w1 d2 complete.

Any suggestions for doing this on the treadmill?

Sorry I am struggling lol....you will see I responded in another post above...
  • Fit4Kateri
    Fit4Kateri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I started on Sunday so today I finished W1D3 (running days are Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday). Sunday I did outside and ran/walked 2.08 miles in 39.31 minutes (19 avg min/mi). Today I ran on the treadmill and ran/walked 1.66 miles in 31.14 minutes (18:49 avg min/mi). So I'm making progress!
  • grmpy1
    Options
    Hi,
    Just google C25K and the site will come up with treadmill version underneath. You can print off the time sheets there. That's what I do and just listen to whatever music I want then. Or you can download there music as well with the voice prompts.

Good luck.

I have already done this. I was looking for someone that has done it on the treadmill that can give me some tips on speed and incline adjustments. I am just guessing so far :blushing:
  • gettingfit65
    Options
    This is my third time doing C25K. I do luv it. Did it in the spring and was up to running 40 minutes!! until injury. Finished Week 2 Day 2 today.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Good luck.

I have already done this. I was looking for someone that has done it on the treadmill that can give me some tips on speed and incline adjustments. I am just guessing so far :blushing:
    I don't use a treadmill but from everything I've seen, you want to set it at a 1% incline to help simulate running outdoors. Since there are no treadmill races I'm assuming you'll eventually want to be running outside and that will help. You can play with adding more incline to simulate hills later on, but for right now, stick with 1%.

As far as speed, that's really a personal thing. Keep playing with it until you find a comfortable pace. You should still be able to carry on a conversation during your running intervals, if you can't, then you'll want to slow down. As an example, I am a slow runner with short legs and my current paces are 3.5 MPH walking and about 6 MPH running. I was slower than that during the running intervals when I started. You might start at around 4.5 MPH and slowly work your way up until you find a comfortable pace.
  • kaciroberts1585
    kaciroberts1585 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This is perfect - I just completed W1D1 yesterday! Love the community here and all of the accountability partners it gives you. First day was rough and my legs are super sore today, but I'm looking forward to doing it all over again tomorrow!
  • grmpy1
    Options
    Thanks Sue.

I guess I am not too far off of what you said. I had the incline at 1% but went to 2% today. I am walking at the 3 or 3.5 and jogging at 4 and 4.5. I am not a runner and a few months go I was scared to death to let go of the treadmill so my short legs aren't doing too bad for just starting. I will keep this all in mind when I think about going faster.

Denise