'his' money and 'hers' money

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Separate accounts and we are each responsible for certain bills. We also have a shared account where we can pool money or transfer it to each other.
    Works great because we don't need each others' permission to buy something one of us wants. If you are paying the bills your responsible for then have at it with the money you have left over. Of course this probably only works when you are dual income.

This...and we use a shared "buget tracking" Excel spreadsheet where we keep track of all monthly bills, debts, etc. in one place.
    Joining to one would be a headache since he doesn't balance his checkbook (and mine is to the penny). No chances of being overdrawn because someone forgot to mention a gas fillup or something....
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    this..and we never fight about money either.

Shared in this house... He's the only one making money anyway!!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    EVERYthing is shared...since day 1. We never fight about money. We paid off our mortgage in 4.5 years. We have no other debt. We're aggressively planning and saving for retirement. (hopefully, an early one)

I keep an anal spreadsheet with all of our accounts, our budget categories, and I write down everything we spend. It's a shared file so my husband can see, at a glance, what our finances look like at any given time. He lets me handle all things money related. I think if he didn't allow me to do this, I would go crazy and blow up the whole town.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    If youre married, there is no His and Hers. When you have this in a mariage, you have preforcasted youself for divorce
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    What's his is mine and what's mine is mine!! :wink: Just kidding!

We share everything. When we married, the two became one and we don't have two separate lives. We discuss all major purchases and both are conscientious about the little purchases.

I don't necessarily think that would work for everyone. It could be disastrous and a cause for tremendous stress if one is not conscientious and there's a possibility of ruining both's financial status, but it's worked extremely well for us.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    We've been together 17 years (married for 11 of those) and we've always had both separate and joint accounts. Our paychecks go into our separate checking and my husband's side business has a separate account (but the online orders go to Paypal and from that we have a Paypal Master Card that we both share). My car is in my name only, but our 3 houses are in both names (one being a rental/investment property).
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Personal accounts are shared. I have one savings account on my own, and the business account is mine only.
  • Onesnap
    I politely disagree. Together 17 years and we have separate and together accounts (depending on what it is).
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,069 Member
    All of our accounts are joint except for the offshore accounts in my name. :glasses:
  • Onesnap
    I am getting married in April and this is one of the topics on the table. Our solution is 3 accounts: his, hers and ours.

This has worked well for us for 17 years. We do discuss big purchases and honestly with online banking the separate and joint accounts are easily managed. He went out and bought a $100 drill last week and I went shopping during a business trip and did not have to clear it with the other spouse first.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    If youre married, there is no His and Hers. When you have this in a mariage, you have preforcasted youself for divorce
    Meh. I don't see it that way. We've been doing it this way for almost 17 years now and never fight about money. We also both don't have hardly any debt. Once our van is paid off next year, all that's left is the mortgage. It depends on HOW you spend your money, not whether or not you have separate accounts. You could have pooled accounts and be horrible with spending. And that's when money issues come up.
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Shared account for bills. Seperate accounts for work expenses/personal spending. The more money-minded of us handles the transferring and overseeing.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Everything is joint with us, and he is anal about the checkbook... so I like not having to worry about it. We take out some cash on a weekly / bi-weekly basis that we use for grocerys, gas, going out, etc.The hard thing is hiding gifts. haha.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member

This is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever read on these forums.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    I'm not married but when I do get married, I will definitely be having everything shared, nothing separate.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    I'm not married but when I do get married, I will definitely be having everything shared, nothing separate.

This topic is definitely throwing me off a little bit...I never would have thought that married people would have separate accounts. My mom and all of my sisters have always been stay at home moms so if they didn't have shared finances then they would be homeless haha You learn something new everyday!
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member

Yeah I pretty much disagree with broad sweeping comments like this.
    Marriages aren't one size fits all.
  • mrimike
    mrimike Posts: 139
    If you don't have your own personal mad money account you will surely go MAD! The majority of our oney is one account though:)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member

Yeah I pretty much disagree with broad sweeping comments like this.
    Marriages aren't one size fits all.

Agree completely..how you handle your household finances has nothing to do with the quality of your marriage. Separate accounts works in my situation, but it doesn't mean we don't consider both incomes to be "our money".....we just have different styles of management. All our bills get paid on time and our names are on each others accounts for emergency purposes. Its not about keeping secrets, but it certainly does make things easier.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Joint accounts for us.