Worst Diet You've Been On...

Options
1235»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Pick on any diet you want, but you cannot judge a diet by what happens when you quit the diet.

I don't think that entirely true. The topic isn't what is the worst diet. (period) It's what is the worst diet that you've been on. If the diet is the worst someone has been on solely because they were unable to sustain it long term, then calling the worst for them is completely justified.

This is exactly why I've never tried any low carb diet. I like carbs and I know I would not stick to it. Doesn't make the diet wrong. It makes it wrong for me.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am shocked by all the hate for different diets based on what happens WHEN YOU QUIT THE DIET.

Think about it.

You change how you eat, you start losing weight.

You then, for whatever reason usually due to not liking the food choices and liking the foods that bulked you up in the first place, you switch back to those very same foods, and gain weight back.

Then blame the diet?

Does any diet work once you return to eating the way that made you fat in the first place?

As far as gaining the weight back "more rapidly", this is normal for ANY DIET you quit. You are no longer a "newly fat person" but an "experienced fat person" with nice HUGE fat cells from previous use, and likely even excess fat cells, that slowly grew over time the first time you gained weight. Gaining weight the 2nd time is very easy compared to the first. It is why maintenance is a longer battle than losing.

Pick on any diet you want, but you cannot judge a diet by what happens when you quit the diet.

There is a certain element of self honesty required here. You gained weight because you switched to some other method of eating that is making your already big fat cells drink deeply again.

sure you can blame a diet that is overly restrictive on your lack of adherence. that is why people should take a more flexible approach to dieting, instead of eliminating or heavily restricting certain food choices/macros

and yes if you are low carb and start eating a decent amount of carbs again you will retain more water, which will show on the scale.

the bottom line is that all diets work exactly the same way, a caloric deficit.
  • chuluotababe
    Options
    I remember the Cabbage Soup Diet was huge when I was in high school. Ugh. Just the smell of cabbage would make me gag for years to come... Oh to be young and naive.

I didn't go on this diet but a coworker did in the late 90's. At the time I was a bank teller in the detached bank building. So the bathroom was the only other room in this little rectangular building. The things happening in that bathroom were not pleasant and we all had to deal with it! At one point I wasn't sure what was worse - the bathroom smells or the air freshener we were using to cover it up. Thank goodness she gave it up after about a month.
  • Lesley2800
    Options
    The Smash Fat diet....way too restrictive for me.
  • goelvira
    goelvira Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Oh man.. which one to choose from?? I've tried so many... cabbage soup was pretty bad, i tried the "lemonade" detox, atkins, medifast.. which is pretty much dehydrated food.. ughhh the oatmeal was the worst!!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I remember the Cabbage Soup Diet was huge when I was in high school. Ugh. Just the smell of cabbage would make me gag for years to come... Oh to be young and naive.

I didn't go on this diet but a coworker did in the late 90's. At the time I was a bank teller in the detached bank building. So the bathroom was the only other room in this little rectangular building. The things happening in that bathroom were not pleasant and we all had to deal with it! At one point I wasn't sure what was worse - the bathroom smells or the air freshener we were using to cover it up. Thank goodness she gave it up after about a month.

lmao!
  • FitnessElle
    Options
    The eat-whatever-I-want-and-not-move-my-*kitten* diet. :sad:

It made my *kitten* grow exponentially. I don't recommend it.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    The eat-whatever-I-want-and-not-move-my-*kitten* diet. :sad:

It made my *kitten* grow exponentially. I don't recommend it.

LOL...I tried that one too - epic FAIL :sad:
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    HCG & South Beach Diet
  • CAlexRose
    CAlexRose Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The classic low fat, high carb diet.
  • sunnybrunette126
    sunnybrunette126 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Atkins was the worst... those first couple of days I felt like crap!
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I totally forgot the working-Nordstrom-menswear-during-holiday diet. Long hours, 30 minute breaks (15 minutes of which is spent going back up through LP, out the employee door and around the mall to get to the regular entrance), lots of pressure to stay thin, and everyone smokes. It's essentially a coffee, cigarettes and salad diet. I was thin, but I can't imagine my skin and breath were very good!
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    A Detox7 body thing and Ali:frown:
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Cigarettes, cocaine, and nightclubs 4 nights a week. I was super thin and in pretty good shape from all the dancing.

Yeah, that was terrrrrrrible. Wait - no it wasn't!

Hmmm yes something along those lines! :smokin:
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    No carb diet. Lost 10 pounds in 14 days, but very very irritating diet. Only did it to prove I could do it, and I could
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    The my-chef-makes-me-so-nervous-that-I-can't-eat-anything-but-apples diet. Lost 35 pounds. It was horrible.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Aktins!! After one week, I had terrible craving, no energy, and chest pains....Any diet that labels a food good or bad...Moderation and Balance is the key...calories out > calories in
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Cabbage soup diet
    High protein diet (the one where you only eat shakes and veggies - I think I lasted two days!)
    Some crazy diet my mum found in a magazine. It was a 1000 cals a day diet and it featured weird recipes with ingredients we had hardly ever heard of!
    Scarsdale
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I am shocked by all the hate for different diets based on what happens WHEN YOU QUIT THE DIET.

Think about it.

You change how you eat, you start losing weight.

You then, for whatever reason usually due to not liking the food choices and liking the foods that bulked you up in the first place, you switch back to those very same foods, and gain weight back.

Then blame the diet?

Does any diet work once you return to eating the way that made you fat in the first place?

As far as gaining the weight back "more rapidly", this is normal for ANY DIET you quit. You are no longer a "newly fat person" but an "experienced fat person" with nice HUGE fat cells from previous use, and likely even excess fat cells, that slowly grew over time the first time you gained weight. Gaining weight the 2nd time is very easy compared to the first. It is why maintenance is a longer battle than losing.

There is a certain element of self honesty required here. You gained weight because you switched to some other method of eating that is making your already big fat cells drink deeply again.

I hate Atkins because I hate the way it made me feel. I lose 7lb in the first week (all water weight anyway) and gained back 4 lb not because I went back to horrible eating habits. Actually I eat very well. I stupidly let someone convince me that carb were evil (stupid stupid me). THe weight gain was pure water.