CARBS

Options
124»

Replies

• willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    acg...that was a personal opinion da.........then i suggested them talking to the correct people... damn...read it again
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    To me: carbs are carbs and I need them to run long distances =)

BUT, I try not to eat white, refined sugar.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Instead of looking for advice from every person on here with an opinion do the following. Find people with the best physiques and ask them how many simple (white) carbs they eat. Im sure you will find your answer, if not here is a three step simple rule for simple (white) carbs: 1. Dont touch them, 2. Dont touch them and 3. Dont touch them. There is no point to eating them.

Alberto Nunez

alberto_shredded400.jpg?timestamp=1257301777446

3DMJ: Describe your nutrition when training for a competition.

Alberto Nunez: Foods don’t ever change too much. Quesadillas, Pop-Tarts, and some of my favorite cereals are still staples. The total calories change, and protein is upped a bit. Training is very similar to the offseason protocol, as cliché as it sounds, whatever helps you gain, will help you retain.

http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/fa-alberto-nunez.php

While that might work for him, it might not work for everyone else. I'll assume he's pretty lean most of the time and grew up that way.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    white carbs are bad for you...they serve no purpose...
    Yes, they do. They are tasty. :)
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. After the first month of limiting it, I no longer have a taste for it and I used to be the biggest pasta lover ever. I keep my carbs usually around 100 grams or less, but it's moreso through default of having a high protein diet. I don't get upset if I have higher carb day or anything, as long as my protein intake is decent and I'm near my calorie goal.
  • caseyday
    Options
    Yes bodybuilders use the simple (white) carbs right b4 comps but that is because they are recovering from something called carb depletion and are in a phase called carb loading. totally a different subject.
  • Biggipooh
    Options
    white carbs are bad for you...they serve no purpose...there are so many other foods that are good for you that take the place of the white carbs..

be careful taking advice from people who dont know what they are talking about...talk to a nutritionalist or a dietitian who can give you fact based advice.....

research yourself and get that advice...all our bodies are different and react to carbs in a different way....

Any carb serves a purpose, and it is totally OK to eat white carbs every now and then. Even the good old potatoe ist not as bad as most people think. Asian people eat tons of white rice mixed with proteins and don't the look great?

I visit Japan every few years for work. And the odd thing is how LITTLE white rice they eat. We eat out almost every day and if I didn't specifically aske for rice, I probably would eat less than 1/2 of what I would normally eat. The only rice we ate was the rice on sushi/sashimi. That's about it.

I think the ave American eats WAY more rice than let's say someone in Japan.

Agreed, Americans eat to much of everything. I have seen people in Asia eating rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but of course, small portions. So at the end, the calories count and not if something is white, brown or green.
  • Biggipooh
    Options
    Every word is weighed here.....
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Yes bodybuilders use the simple (white) carbs right b4 comps but that is because they are recovering from something called carb depletion and are in a phase called carb loading. totally a different subject.

Good point.
  • rhodes2b
    rhodes2b Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I limit my carbs on a regular basis. But when I do eat carbs, I make them count.

I have never heard to eat them with protein. Strange.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    How is slower to break down and spiking insulin less a BAD thing?

I never understood why i was feeling tired after my lunch (a baked potato, pasta, or sandwich on white) until I read about GI and such like. Switched to sweet potato and brown rice and guess what, I'm not tired an hour after eating.

An 18-mo randomized trial of a low-glycemic-index diet and weight change in Brazilian women

http://www.ajcn.org/content/86/3/707.abstract

Conclusions: Long-term weight changes were not significantly different between the HGI and LGI diet groups; therefore, this study does not support a benefit of an LGI diet for weight control. Favorable changes in lipids confirmed previous results.

Reduced glycemic index and glycemic load diets do not increase the effects of energy restriction on weight loss and insulin sensitivity in obese men and women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16177201

In summary, lowering the glycemic load and glycemic index of weight reduction diets does not provide any added benefit to energy restriction in promoting weight loss in obese subjects.

Long-term effects of 2 energy-restricted diets differing in glycemic load on dietary adherence, body composition, and metabolism in CALERIE: a 1-y randomized controlled trial

http://www.ajcn.org/content/85/4/1023.abstract?ijkey=57903af923cb2fcdc065ffd37b00a32e22f4c5cf&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Conclusions:These findings provide more detailed evidence to suggest that diets differing substantially in glycemic load induce comparable long-term weight loss.

No effect of a diet with a reduced glycaemic index on satiety, energy intake and body weight in overweight and obese women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17923862

CONCLUSION:

This study provides no evidence to support an effect of a reduced GI diet on satiety, energy intake or body weight in overweight/obese women. Claims that the GI of the diet per se may have specific effects on body weight may therefore be misleading.

So we are just gonna ignore this..lol I love pub med by the way
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't understand they point of the rule most of the time. I eat how I like and lose weight steadily

The "rule" has nothing to do with weight loss, It's about nutrition.

Most people use this rule when they are trying to lose weight is what I was getting at

Well, I suppose it's a good rule for weight loss too, since whole grains pack more nutrition per serving. I also find that they have a "heavier" taste so they are more filling. So, you get more bang for your buck (calorie) with whole grains.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If low GI makes you feel better than go for it, but aside from that reason, I haven't seen anything conclusive that suggests that GI has any relevance to health or weight loss.

Same applies for nutrient density. Plenty of white carbs are just as nutrient dense and non-white. Certainly not in all cases, but you can't claim that all non-white carbs are more nutrient dense than white ones.

Edit: Additionally, once nutrient sufficiency is met, I would imagine additional nutrients aren't providing any real benefit. Maybe I'm wrong on that.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Do you go by the rule - no white carbs such as white rice, potatoes, pasta, bread?

When I worked out with a personal trainer she told me when ever I eat a carb (whole grain-complex) to make sure I had a protein at the same time. I am now wondering did she do this to train me to eat a balanced diet or other reasons.

no, because that is a silly rule.

the reason it was probably suggested was your trainer believes in all the myths that brown rice is better than white rice, sweet potatoes are better than white potatoes etc etc

Is it your opinion that complex carbohydrates are no dfferent than simple ones?
    White carbs like bread and pasta are complex carbs not simple btw.

Again, another all or nothing debate, these go nowhere and mean nothing.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    i become extremely lethargic after eating white bread, pasta and rice. I switched to brown, and they are tasty except for the rice. So I rarely eat rice now.

Potatoes are fine for me.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Instead of looking for advice from every person on here with an opinion do the following. Find people with the best physiques and ask them how many simple (white) carbs they eat. Im sure you will find your answer, if not here is a three step simple rule for simple (white) carbs: 1. Dont touch them, 2. Dont touch them and 3. Dont touch them. There is no point to eating them.
    [/quote

Well, I've lost over 4 1/2 stone, am the fittest I have ever been, can easily cycle over 100 miles a day and have covered over 8500 miles so far this year on the back of major knee surgery.

I haven't got an issue with brown carbs, it's just that I stick to what I enjoy most, white noodles. So sorry, not everyone agrees with your sweeping statement