Teacher support Group

Options

Replies

• Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    My students are much younger, but I've had success with a ticket/drawing system. I have a box with little slips of scrap paper. Throughout the day/period I give tickets out for correct answers, cooperation, good test scores, good attitudes, etc. It's very arbitrary - whatever needs work. Whatever I want to reinforce. They write their name & date on the ticket.
    Then at the end of the month we draw out 1 ticket & whoever's name is on it gets to choose a prize. I got some great deals on discounted sports equipment. You could try to get something big donated like a TV or dvd player or gift card, whatever will work for your kids.
    I found that it's much cheaper than the little silly prizes I had been buying & giving out more often.
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    We have a couple of teachers who issue "free passes" to student exhibiting good behavior. The pass allows the student to not do one homework assignment, only if the student has a certain GPA when he/she wants to use the pass.
  • Roguerivergirl
    Roguerivergirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The school I work has a complicated funding process. We are in an Oregon Youth Authority facility, our money comes from the Oregon Dept. of Education, but we are employed by the local school district.

Even though it is a prison with guards, we still have some behavioral problems. I got tired of threatening them with correctives and failed shifts and then I discovered Math Bucks. They earn math bucks by doing assignments and getting good grades. Each assignment earns them 1 math buck. An A or B on a quiz or test earns them 5 bucks and a 100% on a test earns 10 bucks. They use the bucks to buy a piece of candy, get a free day, etc. We show a movie on the last two days of the quarter, if they want to see the first day of the movie, they have to pay me 20 bucks. They also pay penalties. They pay 1 buck for incomplete and missing assignments. 1 buck for D's on quizzes or tests and 5 bucks for F's.

The kids love it. I have never seen them work so hard. The English teacher is going to implement a similar program.
  • Georg
    Options
    That's really cool.
    I had a great day until the afternoon. :grumble:
    The bright spot:
    a mom told me her child has never liked school until this year in my room. :bigsmile:
  • Roguerivergirl
    Options
    That's the greatest feeling. That's what we teachers live for.
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I use mainly free computer time, homework passes, and Oriental trading is my best friend for pens, pencils, notepads. I also love the Target dollar racks- Hanna Montana stickers, M&M pens all kinds of stuff like that.

Unfortunately the ones I'm really trying to reach, I'm beginning to think, are unreachable. 15 - 16 years old and still in the 8th grade. I haven't given up yet though. Just trying to come up with new approaches.
  • Georg
    Options
    anderson- Try my ticket drawing system. You'll save money in the long run because you could spend the same amount on a really attractive big prize instead of a bunch of little doodads. Try a CD player or a video game or a gift card to somewhere. You may even get a local store to donate something.
    When I started it I was trying to hook a really tough (unmotivated) crowd of 4th graders & they were completely into it. They weren't impressed by stickers & pencils, but the bigger prizes got their attention. I offered a football, a board game, soccer ball & a homemade gift certificate to the Halloween Carnival or next Book Order.
    Good luck.
  • Roguerivergirl
    Options
    I think the best incentive for kids is success. I get so many kids who have given up on themselves. That's probably why they have resorted to crime. They just don't believe they are smart. I have to pretty much brow beat them into doing the assignments. Sometimes it is tempting to believe that they can't do it either, but I won't let myself believe it. It is amazing how they change, when they get their first A. Suddenly, they want to do the assignments.

The teacher I replaced kept telling me how low skilled the kids were and how I was going to have to give them really simple short assignments. I refused to believe they couldn't do it. When I started, I only had 2 or 3 algebra students. Now I have a full class of algebra 1 and above and our math scores are the highest of all the youth facilities in Oregon. It is very rewarding.
  • Georg
    Options
    That's great!
    Isn't it interesting when the opinion from a teacher before you totally conflicts with your results?
    :huh:
    Who's looking forward to a long weekend?!
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Have a good one!
  • Roguerivergirl
    Options
    I am. I was planning to raft down the river, but it is predicted to be cold and rainy.

Who is going to show Obama's speech on Tuesday? Hopefully, I'm not opening a hornet's nest. Just curious. We're planning to show it. Parent's can't object at our school.
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    Luckily for me, it's not in my curriculum, so I don't have to worry about it.

Thanks for the advice for the prize box, the 6th grader loved the pens, pencils and stuff. I won't see my 8th graders on a Friday until next week, so I'm looking for some cheap stuff for them as you suggested.

I did get some computer free time passes, that I know they will like.

I don't have my usual free McD's small french fry coupons this year, but my husband does the computer work for the owner of several of the stores, so I'm going to see if I can get some coupons donated.

Food is always a good motivator, I just feel like I'm condoning poor eating habits.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Who is going to show Obama's speech on Tuesday? Hopefully, I'm not opening a hornet's nest. Just curious. We're planning to show it. Parent's can't object at our school.

that is kinda worrisome in my opinion. Everybody who looks at my posts knows I am not a fan of the President's policies, but that's not why that bothers me. Shouldn't parents have the final decision about the things their children are exposed to?

That said, I watched the speech, and as much as I wanted to find flaw with it, I couldn't. It wasn't political, it was just a "go education" pep talk for kids.

But I do think parents should have the final say....
  • Roguerivergirl
    Options
    I know that sounded a bit crass, but where I teach parents don't get a lot of say because the students are basically wards of the state. Parents do participate in IEP meetings, etc, if they so choose. Some don't and the students have surrogate parents in those cases. But when it comes to the nitty gritty of daily life, OYA has the final say. Therefore, if the teachers chose to show the speech, the students had to watch it.

I was impressed with the attention the students gave President Obama. They agreed that what he had to say was important. We had a little chat and they were quite enthusiastic about giving their opinions. I am really enjoying this year with the kids. They really seem to want to learn.
  • Georg
    Options
    rogue- How nice that the kids recognized the importance of what was said. That's cool.
  • funo145
    funo145 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i know you all started this a long time ago.. but can I join? I'm a 2nd grade teacher and the testing coordinator at my school. With the majority of our students being ELL... CELDT is a HUGE headache right now.. I was able to lose 5 pounds the first two weeks of school. This third week I haven't lost anything... urg...
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I'd like to join, also. I'm a certified kindergarten through grade 6 teacher, and am currently the Director of an After School Program for grades 5 through 8. I'd love to chat with you all :flowerforyou:
  • Georg
    Options
    Welcome!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    We aren't nearly as chatty as some other groups - go figure - everyone is busy, busy, busy.
    :grumble:
    Back to School Night was tonight & everyone in my class came. It was a complete success.
    wahoooooo!!!!!!!!
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Roguerivergirl
    Options
    Welcome. :drinker:

It seems we don't talk much about losing weight. This is more of a forum to vent, praise and congratulate ourselves for a job well done.

When friends are supporting you, anything is possible.

Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    Congrats on the good parent turn out. My school's open house was Wednesday night and I may have had 5 parents out of my 65 students show up. Guess that kinda figures into the stereotype for the low level readers though.

During a brief bout of insanity, I agreed to take on the school's yearbook. Should be fun, but I know it will be a lot of hard work.

Does anyone have any advice on how or where I should start? I've never done this before.
  • Georg
    Options
    This company has an easy to use system. You contract for your selected book - style, size, etc. Then they send you a CD & you just drop in your photos & content. They publish & send it back. It's pretty cool.
    http://www.inter-state.com/
    I'm sure there are others.