Teacher support Group

Replies

• Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Wahoooooooo!!!!!!
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    School's out for summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    YAY! It was the last day with kids!
    I only have a week til I am officially done for the year.
    :drinker:
  • j3xs
    j3xs Posts: 17
    Well my weigh in today is 186.9. I know I don't say much on this board but it is nice that I know I can. Hope all is well with everyone.
    Jo
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Good Job!!!! Keep it up:wink:

I AM DONE!!!!!!! :bigsmile:
    No more kids or anything until August. Got a good workout the past two days boxing everything up and loading it into the cabinets for the summer though.
  • Smiley1010
    Smiley1010 Posts: 82
    8 days left of school....
    Today was so awful that I *had* to go for a run as soon as I got home to release all the negativity and stress. :explode: Here's hoping for a better day tomorrow. :ohwell:
  • Georg
    OOoooooo!!!!!!!!
    We had 2 retirements & a pink slip this year ... I just found out that another teacher was offered a job in another school. he hasn't told our admin yet.
    Where you work does that happen, too? Why don't leaving teachers let the school know asap so they can get good replacements?
  • LifesPilgrim
    I don't know about anywhere else, but here, the teachers have to let admin know that they want to go somewhere else, and then just let them know as soon as they have a new position. This period basically goes from the beginning of May to the end of June.

I agree that the ethical thing to do is to let admin know as soon as possible, but then not everybody does the right thing, obviously.

Is everyone enjoying their summer? I'm on week 2 of P90X and really starting to see results already!!! I just might be able to wear the bikini on our trip next month.:bigsmile:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    ok I need to vent.

I went around the school before school let out for our 2 week break, collecting all of the supplemental materials I need to teach 8th grade. (I taught 7th last year)

The day before I came back in to set up for summer school, one of our new teachers (also 8th grade) came into my room and took everything. EVERYTHING. all my test books, quizzes, worksheets, everything except my TE texts.

AAARGGHHHHH

who does this? who just steals from someone's classroom? Now my school has responded by ordering a whole new set for me, but I have to share with the one who took MY stuff until the order gets here. :explode: :angry: :grumble:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    ok I need to vent.

I went around the school before school let out for our 2 week break, collecting all of the supplemental materials I need to teach 8th grade. (I taught 7th last year)

The day before I came back in to set up for summer school, one of our new teachers (also 8th grade) came into my room and took everything. EVERYTHING. all my test books, quizzes, worksheets, everything except my TE texts.

AAARGGHHHHH

who does this? who just steals from someone's classroom? Now my school has responded by ordering a whole new set for me, but I have to share with the one who took MY stuff until the order gets here. :explode: :angry: :grumble:

Maybe there is more to this than I can see, but if you know who took your stuff and they are new, is there anyway you can matter of factly advise them that the material they took from your room was YOURS, and if they need there own they need to contact administration and get their own set? Maybe this person is just dense, and assumed everything in a classroom was free for the taking between teachers.

Just a thought.:flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    they were told to help themselves by a teacher who is leaving us. she knew better, and since she is going, it makes no difference if she is an inconsiderate #$%^&. the new teacher is NEW, like I have never been in a classroom except as a student, fresh outta college NEW. my school purposefully hires people with no former teaching experience. so it is entirely possible she didn't realize that it is against teacher etiquette to take anything from somebody's classroom.

and, this is the first year that our school will have three eighth grade classes, so we did need materials anyway. but last year, when I was the new one, I had to beg borrow and share with the other teachers.

the only silver lining is my new stuff will be all fresh and new and complete.

I don't wanna start off badly with a new co-worker, but DAMN i was pissed when I found out that all of my stuff was POOF gone.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    If she is new to teaching that is all the more reason to let her know at some point, that what she did was "not cool." If you want to wait til she has gotten her feet a little "wet" in the classroom, that is your call, but if she isn't told the "rules," her lack of knowledge could come back to haunt her later.

Just my two cents worth.

Have a great Summer.:drinker: :drinker:
  • LifesPilgrim
    I have to agree that she needs to be informed about what is ok and not ok.

I'm not sure I would have handled this as calmly as you did, so kudos to you for not going off on her.:wink:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    well we are a pretty small school, so I didn't want to make a bad first impression. I could tell that she had been directed by the old teacher to do it, and she was immediately apologetic... but I WAS furious- mostly at the old teacher that told her to:angry:

anybody know how long publishers take to ship a $2,000 order? I am SOOOOOO impatient for it to arrive.

and, WHO KNEW???? that the supplemental materials are soooooooo expensive?
  • Hey, I am new to the website. But. I am a fellow teacher...Secondary Language Arts. I'm hoping to lose some pounds before school starts again. I've gained too much weight over the past five years or so.

I just wanted to stop by and speak. I'd love to join the support group.
  • LifesPilgrim
    Welcome aboard, please don't be a stranger during the summer. I teach Middle School Language Arts in South Florida, where do you teach?
  • Welcome aboard, please don't be a stranger during the summer. I teach Middle School Language Arts in South Florida, where do you teach?

I teach in Alabama.
  • amii
    amii Posts: 1
    I am new to this website and was told by a fellow teacher that this site really helped her get back on track. I have gained what I like to call "happy weight". I recently started teaching and all those pitch-ins and chocolate themed meetings did me in big time. I need to really exercise more, but due to an ankle injury some things are harder than others (no running). I plan on using my elliptical and walking. I hope to start the school year a little lighter, but just as happy!
  • LifesPilgrim
    Another Southern Belle!!! I'm originally from Mississippi!! Doubly welcome.
  • Georg
    I went back to my new classroom today & was sooo disappointed!
    :cry:
    My boxes got mixed up with the previous teacher's stuff & the whole room was a mess! Heavy file cabinets, desks, tables, right in the middle of the room where I can't get to anything or even move it. :grumble:
    :huh:
    It was not a happy first day back.
    :sad:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Georg, look on the bright side.

you have a job.

too many of can't say the same.

I wish I was cleaning up my classroom right now:cry: