Teacher support Group

Options

Replies

• FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    The only thing I am going to say about the testing subject is this....
    Although some form of assessment is needed to gauge student learning and educator performance, I am not sure those two should be tied.

I have witnessed teachers develop horrible attitudes about kids completely based off their inability to pass their ISAT (Idaho's test). I have heard teachers bad mouth kids, call them horrible names... Only a fool would assume that a teachers attitude doesn't rub off on the kids. I have kids that come to my office because one of the teachers made them "feel dumb/stupid" because they struggle passing their tests. OR they've flat out told the kid they were "dumb/stupid"Grown adults, bashing children. It's actually made me consider leaving education.

My kids are over-tested by the time I get them, they've been tested most of their lives. If not taking it this year, they are preparing to take it next year, etc. The "spark" to learn for fun is mostly gone by the time they enter my classroom, they are on survival mode ("get it done and get out")....
    I actually still remember when school was.... fun... and how some of the best learning experiences didn't come from a book.... or have a test to prove it.

I personally don't belive in testing. Currently, I am lucky that it is not yet required in my field. If it comes down to it, I will stand by what I believe. I want ALL my kids to find something they enjoy about school... not just the 5 kids "that get it."
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I guess I look at testing strategies as something extra. If the kids truly know what they are doing, then theoretically they should do well. Testing strategies are not in the bench marks, so "real" teaching is getting them reading at a higher grade level or on their grade level. Not how to bubble in answers, or read a test.

I work hard to come up with plans that will interest my students, because I do teach at an inner city school, with a high failure rate, and VERY low test scores. I don't appreciate people from somewhere else, putting my hard work on hold because they say so.

I think a performance type assesment or portfolios would work much better for my student population.

I had the pleasure of working with the same type of students at a charter school as well. The county closed it down because they said we were not getting results due to the testing scores.

Almost every single one of the students we had at that school is now in college.

So much for the accuracy of standardized tests.

Take my advice and stay at your school, you're lucky to be there.
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    What are you getting your master's in?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    to Brile: I am sad to hear of the teacher's unprofessional behavior you described. Of course that will harm the students (how could it NOT?), and I feel someone who would behave thay way doesn't belong in a classroom. But, IDK how that is related to testing. Sounds like it is the wrong person for the job. Lots of folks are teachers who probably shouldn't be. (IMHO)

Andersonkar: Thanks, I do feel very fortunate to work at my school. I will be here until they get sick of me:tongue: In your opinion, what is it that is creating a high failure rate and low test scores? What could/should be done to improve the student's achievements?

I understand the feeling of not wanting someone from the outside to be dictating what should go on...we have one administrator, our principal, and all decisions come from her, but she is intimately involved with us on planning, she knows what chapter and page we are all on, knows every kid by name, it doesn't feel like we are being controlled from above, and I know I am lucky to have such a good administrator.

I'll be pursuing my Masters in Education Administration. My principal has discussed the possibility of us opening another campus, and has asked me if I would be interested in being principal there. I definitely want to, so that's the direction I am heading. It's an uphill battle though, even with our school's achievements, there are many who oppose us opening another campus. The Oakland Unified District is one group who fights against us, the teacher's union is another. It's hard for me to understand why they would want to prevent us from serving more kids, when our scores, and our students' achievements are so outstanding. We have seniors who are headed to Stanford, MIT, Berkeley. These are kids who come from the harshest most difficult sections of East Oakland, and they're headed for world class schools. Every year we have more applicants who want to attend, and now we have a waiting list. The only thing I can come up with is this- they're embarrassed that the same kids who are failing in their schools, are thriving in ours. It makes them crazy that our teachers are not a part of their union. (We have the choice to join or not, we just prefer not) They actually rallied against a tiny property tax increase ($120/property/year) because a portion of the money generated would go to the charter schools in Oakland as well as the Unified schools. (Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face)

It's a big complex issue, and I feel very fortunate to be involved with this school.

Thanks for talking to me:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • FluffnStuff
    Options
    to Brile: I am sad to hear of the teacher's unprofessional behavior you described. Of course that will harm the students (how could it NOT?), and I feel someone who would behave thay way doesn't belong in a classroom. But, IDK how that is related to testing. Sounds like it is the wrong person for the job. Lots of folks are teachers who probably shouldn't be. (IMHO)

Uhhh, it relates to testing because if our kids don't get certain scores our school is put on probation by the state. In our school, the teachers are ALL given the kids ISAT scores, I get the scores.... and I don't even teach a subject that is tested.... BUT I KNOW who is not passing them. That knowledge alone promotes hostility between the kids and the students, because no school WANTS the state to step in and scrutinize everyone under a microscope. Therefore, the kids who aren't passing are nailed.
    Now, whether the teacher(s) belong in the classroom or not is practically a mute point... I don't know many Principals/ Super Intedents/ school boards that would be willing to replace at least 10+ teachers for a new year...

However, that's how it relates to testing in my pudlic school in my state.
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    The first thing is your principal is involved and backs the teacher, mine doesn't AT ALL. Second you probably have good parent involvement, we don't. Last of all, the kids don't care and you can't make them. We have had several incidents of teachers being threatened and pushed around by students, and not much happens. If there is no discipline, there is no learning.

We are getting a new principal during the summer, and in the mean time the one we have is a major Lame Duck and things are really getting bad quick.

The same thing happened to my school, that's why they found a reason to shut us down (truth had nothing to do with it). Don't make the public schools look bad, they WILL get even.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    You are correct, my principal is a very strong component of our success. We also have a very (VERY) strict discipline policy, I wholeheartedly agree with you, without the discipline, all is lost. It would be terrifying to be in a situation with kids threatening the teachers. I wouldn't be able to teach in an environment like that. :noway:

We actually have almost no parent involvement, though. We prefer it that way. Our founder says "get out of our way and let us teach your kids." We never have parents volunteering in the classroom or chaperoning anything.

Our kids care because we have convinced them that this education we are offering is their ticket to wonderful things in life. They have internalized it and truly care about their educational success. During this week of STAR testing, we laid off the homework, to allow the kids to rest. I had more than one of them come to me and ask for homework, because they are bored and they can't wait to start in on our 8th grade textbooks. I know that this isn't typical, and it has taken the whole school getting on board to make it happen. Our credo, which we recite every morning, says "We are a family at AIPCS. We are always working for academic and social excellence. We will prosper by focusing and working toward our goals. We will go forward, continue working, and remember we will always be a part of the AIPCS family." Our kids really and truly believe it. The "coolest" kids are the honor roll kids. The whole culture of our school has centered around academic achievement.

I think you are 100% correct about making the Unified schools look bad, it definitely makes them want to take us out. While we have such a high API, they are powerless to close us down. It is why we emphasize the scores so much, because the good scores are our insurance policy: when we have the Governator visiting our school and a ranking of #5, they can't say it isn't working. If our test scores plummeted, I'm sure they would use that to try and shut it down.

I'm sorry to hear about the principal...that must suck royally. Hopefully the new one can turn things around-

Wishing you the best-:flowerforyou:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    These are all interesting points from a variety of places.
    In my rural district less than 10% of our parents have been to college at all. I can count the bachelor degrees on 2 hands.
    For many families, the thought of college is so remote that it translates to "why worry about school? You don't need to graduate to work with daddy or raise kids."
    That's a prevailing attitude that we constantly fight. It's all about educating the whole family.
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    How is all the testing going???? Haven't heard from anyone in a few days.
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Ugh! My students are doing them right now...so I finally have a moment to log in my food diary. I will be so glad when these tests are over!!! Just in time to start district testing. Whoopee.

Anyone have exciting plans for the Mother's Day weekend?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    We're done! Yay:bigsmile:

we have 21 days left until our first summer break: 2 1/2 weeks off. then all students return for mandatory summer school, for a 3-week session, and then a second break for us teachers for a month. The kids go on to a summer algebra program put on by Stanford, so they don't get another break. Then we will all be big old eighth graders!
  • Georg
    Options
    OOOOOOOooooooo!!!!!!!
    LL!
    Tell us about mandatory Summer School! How does that work? What happens if they don't come?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    Ha! well the parents all understand that it is mandatory, and of you don't come, you cannot be a student here. It is called summer school mostly because of when it is in session, but it is really the beginning of their next school year. So I will be starting 8th grade with these guys, and we will get 3 weeks into the curriculum, then I turn them over to the SAIL (Stanford Academic something something) Algebra program, and they attend it for 4 weeks, while the teachers get their long summer break. Then we all return to pick up eighth grade where I left off with them.

The students usually are on break after summer session as well, for 4 weeks (just like the teachers), but every student must attend SAIL in the summer between 7th and 8th grade (again, if you don't, you may not attend AIPCS). So this is my kids' short summer. Back to usual next year.
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Anyone have some happy news lately? Goals they've made, studens doing well, etc? Even through we are in the midst of State Testing, we are also doing Teacher Appreciation Week this week. It's kinda nice to feel loved, even if it's only for a week, or a day or a second!!! :laugh:
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    I've been asked if I want to be the Langauge Arts Department head next year! I'm not sure if that's good or not the way things have gone this year:huh:
  • Georg
    Options
    That's an interesting idea. I'm sure it's successful. We're not running SS at all this year due to budget troubles.

I'm feeling pretty good about Open House, which is Thursday. I put a lot of extra effort into displaying my kids' work. We even created Solar System research reports this year.

I have to say that since I'm almost 40# lighter than last fall, I'm having no trouble at all hopping up & down the step ladder to hang stuff from the ceiling! :bigsmile:
  • Mickie17
    Options

I have to say that since I'm almost 40# lighter than last fall, I'm having no trouble at all hopping up & down the step ladder to hang stuff from the ceiling! :bigsmile:
    Isn't it funny how the little things like that are really noticeable? Somedays, I just feel "lighter," Like I'm almost floating!!!! :happy:
  • FluffnStuff
    Options
    I just found out the school I am leaving ISN'T going to hire an FCS teacher. The Health Professions teacher came in to "check out" my room, since she'll be using it. What the hell is gonna happen to my kids!!! Ya know, the ones nobody else wants! I am feeling like a freakin failure! If I'd known I wouldn't be replaced then I wouldn't of left.... :cry:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    I just found out the school I am leaving ISN'T going to hire an FCS teacher. The Health Professions teacher came in to "check out" my room, since she'll be using it. What the hell is gonna happen to my kids!!! Ya know, the ones nobody else wants! I am feeling like a freakin failure! If I'd known I wouldn't be replaced then I wouldn't of left.... :cry:

what is FCS? what grade/subject do you teach?
  • FluffnStuff
    Options

what is FCS? what grade/subject do you teach?

Family Consumer Sciences, formerly known as home ec, traditionally viewed as a high school elective course; Therefore, expendable. When funding or test scores dip too low.