Teacher support Group

Options

Replies

• LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about them not replacing you. FCS is one of the most practical to life classes kids can take in school, but is often ignored.

That's why I added Language Arts to my certification. I always knew that when the budget gets tight, electives are the first to go.

Where are you going to be next year?
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about them not replacing you. FCS is one of the most practical to life classes kids can take in school, but is often ignored.

That's why I added Language Arts to my certification. I always knew that when the budget gets tight, electives are the first to go.

Where are you going to be next year?

No clue, I have a health ed component, but you gotta find a school hiring for those as well. With budget cuts in many states... it's not looking good. I figure... I can always try for Walmart. :huh:
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    I just saw Star Trek for Mother's Day, OMG it is great!!!! You've got to go see if whether you're a Trekkie or not!
  • Smiley1010
    Smiley1010 Posts: 82
    Options
    I just saw Star Trek for Mother's Day, OMG it is great!!!! You've got to go see if whether you're a Trekkie or not!

I agree! I brought my mom to see it, and I had never really watched the show (I kinda remembered a few things from it, but not much), and we both loved it!! :happy:

Btw, it's much cooler now. :wink: :tongue:
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    Yeah, it is much cooler now, even if they did steal the bad guy ship from Babylon V. I still like the Next Generation and Voyager stuff though.

I like how they have opened a lot of new possibilities with the parallel universe thing. Are you a big Sci Fi fan?
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    I was just looking through the posted topics and saw where lenmana, a teacher fairly new to this site, lost a student over the weekend.

Let's please keep her in our thoughts and prayers. This is a tough time for her.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    That's too bad. What a tough situation.
    Think of me tomorrow.:wink: I'll be on a field trip to a National Park with my 3rd graders.
    Praying nobody pukes on the windy road.
    :huh:
  • Georg
    Options
    Wahoooo!!!!!!!! We're back from the field trip.
    No casualties! :bigsmile:
    :drinker:
    I have a great story: On the hike up out of the canyon, it was only a half mile but VERY steep. I was huffing & puffing, sweating & struggling to stay ahead of my class. A chaperone mom about my size was at the back of the pack about to pass out. She was dizzy & flushed & had to sit down a lot.
    :frown:
    I heard from someone else at the back of the trail who stayed with the mom to make sure she didn't fall over the cliff :huh: that the mom said about me over & over "How does she do it? She's not slowing down at all...I thought if she could make it I could too, but I'm not sure I can!"
    :blushing:
    All that walking out has paid off!
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS GEORG!!!!!!!!!!

that' what this is all about.

What Park did you go to?
  • vmkirby
    vmkirby Posts: 23
    Options
    I am so excited to find this group! :happy: I currently substitute teach, but I will have my own classroom next year. As a vegetarian, I can't always rely on the cafeteria's offerings. While they serve many very healthy meals in our area, most of them are meat. It's tough for me to figure out what to bring in my lunch that will be easy to eat in 12-20 minutes, is meatless and peanut-less, and will keep well without requiring an entire cooler for storage. I never know if I'll have fridge or microwave.
  • Georg
    Options
    We went to Sequoia. It was beautiful.
    14 days & counting!
    :bigsmile:
  • Roguerivergirl
    Roguerivergirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am thrilled to find a group for teachers. I teach in a correctional facility for boys ages 12 - 20. It is a great job, but it has most of the same stresses as any teaching job. When I started 3 years ago, I ate the food prepared for the youth. Twenty pounds later I found out that they load the meals with carbs to keep the boys so satisfied, they cause less trouble. Now, I am trying to take my own meals to school, which isn't easy because I also teach nights at a community college.

Lack of time and energy seem to be my enemies. I know I just have to get organized and procrastinate less, but when Saturday rolls around all I want to do is lie on the couch and watch DVD's.

I joined the local gym and really love it. I was going regularly until I got sick and had to quit for a few weeks. Now it is hard to get back into the groove.

Thanks for listening to me whine.
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    Welcome to the group!!!

12 Days and counting!!!!
  • amdavies
    amdavies Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey i want to join too! :tongue:

I teach in england and we get free meals at school so i have to try and find a healthy option everyday. although we are a "healthy school" so no chips or burgers etc. but it is still hard. I find i over do the carbs and get tired in the afternoon. i have to resort to jacket potato and tuna most days, but even those are huge! as a result i have to try and restrict how much i eat in the evenings which is a pain!

good luck to all the fellow teach peeps out there! xx :wink:
  • Georg
    Options
    Welcome amdavies!
    :flowerforyou:
    I have to start cleaning out my room this week. I'll be changing grades & moving from my room I've been in for 12 years.:noway:
  • girltrumpeter85
    Options
    I'm up for it - it's tough to lose weight and exercise during the school year!
  • josie66
    josie66 Posts: 20
    Options
    I am a special education teacher (K-5) and I need to be motivated. Somedays I am so tired by the time I get home I don't want to do anything. I look for the easiest thing to cook that I can find, In the past I loved exercising. Now, it seems that I am in a race against myself and I can't win. There are days I feel so mentally drained that it affects my physical energy as well. Does anyone else ever feel that way? What do you do abouit it. I have been making myself walk at least a mile every day lately just to keep my energy level up and keep my heart healthy.
  • j3xs
    j3xs Posts: 17
    Options
    Can a retired special education teacher join? I still remember what is was like to be surrounded with a skinny faculty. ( I am only retired 1 1/2 years) Also it would be great to hear "teacher talk" as I do miss some friends.
    Jo
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    I am a special education teacher (K-5) and I need to be motivated. Somedays I am so tired by the time I get home I don't want to do anything. I look for the easiest thing to cook that I can find, In the past I loved exercising. Now, it seems that I am in a race against myself and I can't win. There are days I feel so mentally drained that it affects my physical energy as well. Does anyone else ever feel that way? What do you do abouit it. I have been making myself walk at least a mile every day lately just to keep my energy level up and keep my heart healthy.

I understand what you mean about being tired when you get home. I don't get out of school until 4:00 and by the time I pick the kids up, run errands, or whatever else, it's sometimes 6:00 when I walk in the door. All I want to do is curl up in bed and go to sleep!
  • Smiley1010
    Smiley1010 Posts: 82
    Options
    Welcome amdavies!
    :flowerforyou:
    I have to start cleaning out my room this week. I'll be changing grades & moving from my room I've been in for 12 years.:noway:

Sorry to hear you're going through all that change! That will certainly make your life interesting! :ohwell:

I was filling in for a maternity leave this year, so I'm applying for jobs again for the fall. :grumble: Wish me luck! :smile: