Picky 7 year old!

Options

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I just wonder, how if you say you have no income, no job, you have $200 a month for food...how do you have the internet? Are you incapable of working? Go apply at Mcdonald's if you have to. SOMEONE is always hiring. The area I live in was hit HARD because of the economy and I know all the restaurants, fast food places, etc. still hire.

Is it just you and him? Because I was feeding a family of four off of a budget of $280/month. That includes a grown male, myself and my two children ages 7 and 8. This also included 10 lunches/week for them for school. That was a budget that I created for us because there's no need to spend a lot of money of food. I never once had a problem finding things to make and having left overs to get extra stuff.

If its just you and your son, that's $50 a week. That is plenty. Talk to your local grocery stores, they will tell you when they get produce in. On those days, they always have their older produce practically free, but you have to be there fairly early. I am assuming since you don't have a job you can go once your son in school. I buy this when I can and freeze what we won't eat that day or the day after.

Junk food is more expensive. Maybe you need help with healthy meals? Maybe you need help cooking? Google it.
    This is the last one I am replying too then I am done with everyone. I have $200 a month in FOOD STAMPS if you read that part. The internet is my fathers. McDonalds turned me away because I can not get day care for my son to work the hours they want. And "someone" is not always hiring people that can not drive. There are 5 places to work within walking distance, I interviewed with all 5 and was passed over. So I only make it to the store about 2x a month as well due to not driving, I have to depend on rides. I do not need help with healthy meals or cooking.
    Apparently 80% of the people reading this can not read. I did not ask to be put down or spoke down to. I asked for TIPS to add healthier food to what my son already will eat. Learn to answer what was asked or stop talking.

So, you have only $200 in food stamps..you have more money? Contribute more towards your groceries then! But, honestly you don't even have to. Hot dogs, spaghettios, pizza, etc aren't cheaper than food that's actually good for you. My first post to you WAS helpful. You are mostly responding to the negative things being said. You put all of your ignorance out for other people and you're going to get their opinion. You are angry because you aren't hearing what you want to hear. This is a PUBLIC forum, therefore anyone who wants to respond can. You asked for tips about feeding your son healthy food, yet you don't care that he eats junk? You need to stop supplying the junk and get him some real food.
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    This is the last one I am replying too then I am done with everyone.
    figures....

My thoughts exactly!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Did the OP want advice or sympathy? I can't tell.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Im done with you- she doesnt want to be helped and doesnt want to deal with the fact she caused this for her and her son... the excuse of 'only have $200 food stamps per month' is a freakin' joke...
    So you are in my head now? You know if I really want help or not? I did not cause my son to be picky and you do not know if I did or not. Have you been living in my house for 7 years? Were you the one that fed my son his entire life? No you were not, so you have no idea what he was and was not offered to eat in his lifetime. You do not know why he is picky or why he chooses to eat what he eats. A year and a half ago he ate alot better. He life was ripped from under his feet a year and a half ago and he got picky with his eating, he because angry, he got violent, and he started shutting down. So do not for one second think that you know what I do and do not want with this post.
    Stop pretending like you know what I am looking for. I asked a specific question and have answered questions by others honestly. I am not hiding anything nor have I tried to hide the fact that I eat "junk". I am simply looking for ways to get my son to try different foods and get back to the way he was with his eating habits a year and a half ago. So get off your throne and either be helpful or be quiet.
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    Seriously? I am ashamed at some people on here. Calling names and making fun at peoples hard times. One day you will be in a situation that you NEVER planned on being in and how would you feel if someone kicked you while you were down. Sounds like some people really need to GROW UP. Wow.

First off, I didn't see any name calling. I could have missed something, but pretty sure there was none of that...?

Who's to say none of us have been in hard times? Spaghettios are $1 or more per can. A box of spaghetti is $1, a jar of spaghetti sauce is as low as $1, that will provide more than one meal...and you're telling me eating healthier can't be done on a tight budget? JUNK FOOD is NOT cheaper than healthy food!
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Again. Why do you insist on replying to the posts that aren't accomplishing anything?
  • alishastradtman
    Options
    Just stop replying to the negative ones. Try the pureed food and some of the games and I am sure it will change in no time. Keep your head up missy. I'm here for you!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    So. A year and a half ago he ate alot better. He life was ripped from under his feet a year and a half ago and he got picky with his eating, he because angry, he got violent, and he started shutting down. So do not for one second think that you know what I do and do not want with this post.
    Stop pretending like you know what I am looking for. I asked a specific question and have answered questions by others honestly. I am not hiding anything nor have I tried to hide the fact that I eat "junk". I am simply looking for ways to get my son to try different foods and get back to the way he was with his eating habits a year and a half ago. So get off your throne and either be helpful or be quiet.

In your way of thinking, because your son gets mad, he gets to have his way....
    he gets violent, he gets to have his way

....that means you are letting your son dictate how things will go, will happen and you have given him complete control just to appease him.

Instead of making lame excuses for yourself and your son, make results happen... you received TONS of helpful hints but had an excuse for just about every one of them. You are simply allowing yourself to find excuses to get out of the doing the obvious.

BE the parent - BE the adult in the house - Be the person who is in charge... stop letting your son have the power to manipulate YOU into keeping him non-violent and not angry by giving in and letting him have his way!

Baby food is nothing but another jar that all you have to do is open up and mix in a can of spaghettios... no effort. on your part other than to spend about 50 cents worth of your foodstamp allocation

Your son will never learn by giving him a jar of baby food mixed in his can of spaghetiios...and unfortunately he is literally leading by example....

good luck lady....
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    So. A year and a half ago he ate alot better. He life was ripped from under his feet a year and a half ago and he got picky with his eating, he because angry, he got violent, and he started shutting down. So do not for one second think that you know what I do and do not want with this post.

....that means you are letting your son dictate how things will go, will happen and you have given him complete control just to appease him.

Instead of making lame excuses for yourself and your son, make results happen... you received TONS of helpful hints but had an excuse for just about every one of them. You are simply allowing yourself to find excuses to get out of the doing the obvious.

BE the parent - BE the adult in the house - Be the person who is in charge... stop letting your son have the power to manipulate YOU into keeping him non-violent and not angry by giving in and letting him have his way!

Baby food is nothing but another jar that all you have to do is open up and mix in a can of spaghettios... no effort. on your part other than to spend about 50 cents worth of your foodstamp allocation

Your son will never learn by giving him a jar of baby food mixed in his can of spaghetiios...and unfortunately he is literally leading by example....

good luck lady....

It sounds to me like her son suffers from PARENTAL DEFICIENCY SYNDROME and that's about it!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like her son suffers from PARENTAL DEFICIENCY SYNDROME and that's about it!
    poor kid....
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    Just stop replying to the negative ones. Try the pureed food and some of the games and I am sure it will change in no time. Keep your head up missy. I'm here for you!

About the whole baby food crap. Seriously? Have you ever tasted it? LOL I'm sorry but I couldn't force that stuff down my kids' throats. If you absolutely feel that's the way to do it, buy the actual fruit/veggie and puree it yourself, it's much cheaper...even though I think it's a horrible idea and won't fix anything. You're tricking him into eating something good for him by not telling him its there, not teaching him that he should. Though why should he if his provider doesn't?
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options

good luck lady....

I don't think that's an accurate characterization at all. In all likelihood, OP is a very loving and capable parent. She's in a difficult situation, and she's hearing a lot of advice that she doesn't agree with. For the most part it's solid advice, but we can't make her see that. That does not in any way mean she's a bad parent. I think you're taking it too far with that statement.

ETA: That said, I still agree that OP needs to take her child's nutrition more seriously and stop making excuses.
  • Healthyby30
    Options

good luck lady....

I don't think that's an accurate characterization at all. In all likelihood, OP is a very loving and capable parent. She's in a difficult situation, and she's hearing a lot of advice that she doesn't agree with. For the most part it's solid advice, but we can't make her see that. That does not in any way mean she's a bad parent. I think you're taking it too far with that statement.

ETA: That said, I still agree that OP needs to take her child's nutrition more seriously and stop making excuses.

I'm not saying she's a bad parent necessarily, we don't know their daily life. Feeding your child out of pure convenience is lazy. Saying he will only eat pizza..make healthy pizza, not the kind that comes frozen and you throw in the oven. He'll eat spaghettios? Make spaghetti. Spam is just plain nasty. Laziness does not equal good parenting. Letting him control her decisions because he gets violent, throws tantrums, etc. and not doing anything about it, is bad parenting. Has he been tested for behavior problems? ADHD? Take him to someone that can help him. You can't say that you can't afford it because first off, public schools are obligated to provide certain things regarding that, secondly, you get food stamps so I can't imagine you don't receive medicaid.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I was a horribly picky child. I don't know how my mother put up with me. Like a few others have said, try to get him involved in the cooking process. I remember one of my favorites as a kid was english muffin pizzas. You could buy whole wheat muffins, low fat mozzarella, tomato sauce, and a few healthy toppings (grilled chicken, ham, green peppers, tomato slices, etc) and have him help you put them together.

You could also try just renaming the foods when you give them to him. Just like McD's - they aren't apple sticks, they're "apple fries". It sounds way more appealing to a kid.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Seriously? I am ashamed at some people on here. Calling names and making fun at peoples hard times. One day you will be in a situation that you NEVER planned on being in and how would you feel if someone kicked you while you were down. Sounds like some people really need to GROW UP. Wow.

I haven't seen a single post where someone is calling her a name or making fun of her, all of them have given advice on what they think would help her kid not be so picky. She clearly wasn't looking for advice, she was looking for someone to say "oh it's ok, as long as the kid is eating i wouldn't worry about it" or something along those lines.

I LOVE when people come on forums pretending to ask for advice and then go all bat **** crazy claiming everyone is just trying to put them down or whatever else when in reality the OP is always looking for a specific answer and then when they get the truth they don't like it so they go all gun-ho defensive and then a couple people chime in with their 'there there, internets people is mean!"

you are the ones who need to grow up.
  • b00b0084
    Options

I haven't seen a single post where someone is calling her a name or making fun of her, all of them have given advice on what they think would help her kid not be so picky. She clearly wasn't looking for advice, she was looking for someone to say "oh it's ok, as long as the kid is eating i wouldn't worry about it" or something along those lines.

I LOVE when people come on forums pretending to ask for advice and then go all bat **** crazy claiming everyone is just trying to put them down or whatever else when in reality the OP is always looking for a specific answer and then when they get the truth they don't like it so they go all gun-ho defensive and then a couple people chime in with their 'there there, internets people is mean!"

you are the ones who need to grow up.
    I did not post this just to be told "its ok at least he is eating" And not all of these posts had advice, a great deal of them were demeaning and bashing me as a parents. I got tips out of this that I will put into use. As a matter of fact we just got back from the store and got fruits and veggies. My son helped pick some out. But just because he helped pick them out does not mean he is going to try the,. To claim that you know what is going through my head or going on in my life are the ones that upset me. You do not know me or my situation. Just because you would do think differently does not mean that is the only way it can be done. And to the woman that said my son is suffering from "PARENTAL DEFICIENCY SYNDROME" up yours.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Again, you're only replying to the negative. The replies are what you make them. Good luck with your efforts though.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I have an almost 7 year old, and he too is very picky. But I'd say in the past year it has gotten better. I tell him that if he wants dessert, he first has to try something new to see if he likes it. If he doesn't like it, that is okay, but I want him to try it.

So I have been able to get him to try (and like!) marinated grilled chicken; sauteed pork in a beef sauce; chicken parmesan; hummus; broccoli with light ranch dip; carrot "chips" with light ranch dip; and a few other things that are escaping me right now. So my advice would be to ask him to please try something new, something you think he will like. If he refuses, he refuses, but I tell my son I want him to try these things before he gets to have dessert. Good luck!
  • b00b0084
    Options
    I just got him to try pinapple, he likes pinapple juice, but did not like actual pinapple.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    Then I would say today was a success! Tomorrow give him more pineapple juice and ask him to try the pineapple again. Supposedly you have to try something 3 times before you like it. Or (and this probably won't be popular) dry the pineapple off and dip it in melted chocolate or another fruit dip and see if he likes it that way!