Cardassian?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    You're a BRIT.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You're my Aggie... my friend-wall cheerleader. :) that's all that really matters!
  • bottlecaps
    Options
    French?
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    Dunno, all I know is you are part of the Human race :) interested to know your origin though.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am Human ;)
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am Human ;)

Guess that means my guess was wrong :(
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    a HOT human!! lol
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Havartian?
  • spottedlee
    Options
    I say Heinz 57,,

57 nationalities in your blood
  • MarchelleLynne
    MarchelleLynne Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The mfp world may never know!!! :wink:
  • spottedlee
    Options
    Since apparently everyone in here fits the stereotype of how ignorant this generation is--SHE IS AMERICAN. Nationality refers to what citizenship she holds. Seriously, this is the 2nd time I've had to do this today.

Her ETHNICITY is a different question, probably the one she intended to ask. let's use examples for the kids! My father was born in mexico, and my mom was born in the US, her parents born in mexico. I was born here in the US. This makes my NATIONALITY American, my ethnicity-Mexican.

Actually,, you are mistaken,,, since your dad were born in Mexico, that makes you DUAL citizen through parent (known as "acquisition" of citizenship). unless you renounce your citizenship there.

My grandfather is a perfect example,,, he was born in Italy,, but moved to England soon after his birth. His mother was British, his father was American (born in NY) he was never a citizen of Italy even though he was born there on a ship that was docked in Napal. Because of his mom, he was British and because of his dad, he was American. When he came to America, he didn't have American Passport. He was a British soilder at the end of WWI when he arrived at Ellis, he announced himself as American even though he NEVER been to America. In his case, he was citizen of both countries through his parents.

More info,,, http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/us-citizenship-birth-parents-29750.html
  • betylpz01
    betylpz01 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just curious, how does a non-American write?

They use a more formal English style. Not bad, not good, just different. I was not trying to incite or say any different style of English was better or worse, if that's what you were wondering.

Hey, Mr. Know it all.... Go * yourself!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Since apparently everyone in here fits the stereotype of how ignorant this generation is--SHE IS AMERICAN. Nationality refers to what citizenship she holds. Seriously, this is the 2nd time I've had to do this today.

Her ETHNICITY is a different question, probably the one she intended to ask. let's use examples for the kids! My father was born in mexico, and my mom was born in the US, her parents born in mexico. I was born here in the US. This makes my NATIONALITY American, my ethnicity-Mexican.

Actually,, you are mistaken,,, since your dad were born in Mexico, that makes you DUAL citizen through parent (known as "acquisition" of citizenship). unless you renounce your citizenship there.

My grandfather is a perfect example,,, he was born in Italy,, but moved to England soon after his birth. His mother was British, his father was American (born in NY) he was never a citizen of Italy even though he was born there on a ship that was docked in Napal. Because of his mom, he was British and because of his dad, he was American. When he came to America, he didn't have American Passport. He was a British soilder at the end of WWI when he arrived at Ellis, he announced himself as American even though he NEVER been to America. In his case, he was citizen of both countries through his parents.

More info,,, http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/us-citizenship-birth-parents-29750.html
    You are talking about citizenship. They are talking ethnicity vs. nationality. Citizenship only applied to the OP as by citizenship SHE is American. CastlesMadeofSand's citizenship is not in question, nor is it relevant.

Whether he was an a-hole about it or not - he is correct.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    "na·tion·al·i·ty  (nsh-nl-t, nsh-nl-)
    n. pl. na·tion·al·i·ties
    1. The status of belonging to a particular nation by origin, birth, or naturalization.
    2. A people having common origins or traditions and often constituting a nation.
    ethnicity - an ethnic quality or affiliation resulting from racial or cultural ties; "ethnicity has a strong influence on community status relations.

citizenship [ˈsɪtɪzənˌʃɪp
    n
    1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the condition or status of a citizen, with its rights and duties"

-Webster dictionary online

Nationality- where she is from
    Ethnicity-where her ancestors were from
    Citizenship-where she is a current resident
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    American LOL? Like most of us haha XD
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    yaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwnnnnn! is it over yet???
  • nothingisred
    Options
    "na·tion·al·i·ty  (nsh-nl-t, nsh-nl-)
    n. pl. na·tion·al·i·ties
    1. The status of belonging to a particular nation by origin, birth, or naturalization.
    2. A people having common origins or traditions and often constituting a nation.
    ethnicity - an ethnic quality or affiliation resulting from racial or cultural ties; "ethnicity has a strong influence on community status relations.

citizenship [ˈsɪtɪzənˌʃɪp
    n
    1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the condition or status of a citizen, with its rights and duties"

-Webster dictionary online

Nationality- where she is from
    Ethnicity-where her ancestors were from
    Citizenship-where she is a current resident

Exactly. Nationality =/= Citizenship.

Nationality is dependant on your country of birth or that of your parents. Yes, some people do give up their original nationality to become a national of the country they move to but it is not synonymous with citizenship, which is why a country will always have more citizens than nationals.

From Britannica Encyclopedia:

Affiliation with a particular nation or sovereign state. People, business corporations, ships, and aircraft all have nationalities. Nationality is inferior to citizenship, insofar as the latter implies a full set of political privileges and the former does not. Countries have limited rights to determine which of their inhabitants will be their nationals. People generally acquire a nationality by birth within a particular country's territory, by inheritance from one or both parents, or by naturalization. It may change or be augmented or taken away if a country cedes control of the territory where one lives to another country.

So the OP can quite easily be a citizen of the USA but still retain her original nationality. As she is asking us to guess her nationality she obviously does not consider herself to be a US national and still a national of her country of birth.

I don't see why all this drama was necessary in the first place, it was evidentally just meant to be a fun thread, just makes it worse that the drama was started over an incorrect understanding of the term nationality...
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    spanish
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    South American... Colombian?