exercise calories explained

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Jesus...

I quit. What I thought was a good thread has turned into a muddy mess by interpretation and the desire to be exact in what is inherently an inexact process.
  • febes1972
    febes1972 Posts: 24
    Options
    Thank you for explaining everything to me. I understand better now.
  • mmimmi1
    mmimmi1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I really thought I was clear on this before. I do log my execise every time I do it and I was eating the calories back (most of the time). I have reached my weight loss goal, and now I would like to lower my body fat. If I eat my exercie calories, is that mean I do not burn fat, I burn calories I eat only? I was just about to post a topic when I saw this post...
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Jesus...

I quit. What I thought was a good thread has turned into a muddy mess by interpretation and the desire to be exact in what is inherently an inexact process.
    I am just trying to point out that unless you KNOW you are going to be, for example, Highly active every single day, and you KNOW you are going to burn x amount of calories in daily activity, every single day, I don't see why you would ever set your MFP activity level to anything but sedentary or lightly active. Otherwise, you are assuming that you are going to burn those calories - and could very well be eating way too many calories. I'm sure there are tons of people on MFP that are doing exactly that.

Also, the activity level thing is confusing to many people - on many other sites/calculators - it does say "highly active - work out 5 or 6 times a week" for example. I'm sure a large majority of people on MFP assume that the activity level includes their daily exercise.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Jesus...

I am just trying to point out that unless you KNOW you are going to be, for example, Highly active every single day, and you KNOW you are going to burn x amount of calories in daily activity, every single day, I don't see why you would ever set your MFP activity level to anything but sedentary or lightly active. Otherwise, you are assuming that you are going to burn those calories - and could very well be eating way too many calories. I'm sure there are tons of people on MFP that are doing exactly that.

Also, the activity level thing is confusing to many people - on many other sites/calculators - it does say "highly active - work out 5 or 6 times a week" for example. I'm sure a large majority of people on MFP assume that the activity level includes their daily exercise.

*sigh*

You're missing the bigger picture. First, this is all about averages and estimates. You never really KNOW. Even with HRMs and such, it's still just an estimate. Second, there are lots of ways that work. Your way may work for you, great. Other ways work for other people.

The principles are the same for everyone... the method is what can change, but that seems to be more than you're willing to accept.
  • CM9178
    Options
    Jesus...

*sigh*

You're missing the bigger picture. First, this is all about averages and estimates. You never really KNOW. Even with HRMs and such, it's still just an estimate. Second, there are lots of ways that work. Your way may work for you, great. Other ways work for other people.

The principles are the same for everyone... the method is what can change, but that seems to be more than you're willing to accept.
    I completely understand and agree that it is about averages and estimates. I understand that you never really know 100%. I understand the principles are the same for everyone. I am not disagreeing with any of that. I am also not saying that MFP doesn't work - because it does. But there is a very good possibility that many people could be eating way too many calories just because they set their activity level wrong.

I am simply stating that I believe it would be MORE accurate in the grand scheme of things to NOT set an activity level on MFP and then attempt to calculate how many calories you actually burn each day, plus excerise.

Think about it - if you set highly active you could be way over estimating how many calories you are burning - if you aren't truly highly active every day.
    But, if you set to sedentary and then calculate how many calories you burned at work that day - I think there is a much better chance of being more accurate in your calculation which would reduce the chance of over eating.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Agree to disagree... moving along....
  • CM9178
    Options
    If you are set to Highly active and you sit at home all day and do nothing that day, how are you NOT overestimating calories burned?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    If you are set to Highly active and you sit at home all day and do nothing that day, how are you NOT overestimating calories burned?

Let it go CM9178.

He knows what he's talking about.
  • CM9178
    Options

Let it go CM9178.

Oh excuse me, I didn't know I was speaking to the master of the universe.
    If he knows what he's talking about, he would give me an explanation/answer to my question above. I'm not getting an answer to this question, because I'm right. My question is a very valid one, and if I'm wrong, I'd like to know why.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Let it go CM9178.

If he knows what he's talking about, he would give me an explanation/answer to my question above. I'm not getting an answer to this question, because I'm right. My question is a very valid one, and if I'm wrong, I'd like to know why.

He did explain it....you just aren't listening. I use the TDEE method and my activity level is between light active and moderately active...but I don't burn the same calories every single day...sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less...but over the course of a week, it averages out and I lose weight.

It's the individual's responsibility to appropriately set their activity level. Overestimating activity level is just cheating themselves.
  • Kreider86
    Kreider86 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    bump so when I get confused about exercise calories again I know where to go. :) Thank you!
  • CM9178
    Options

Let it go CM9178.

He did explain it....you just aren't listening. I use the TDEE method and my activity level is between light active and moderately active...but I don't burn the same calories every single day...sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less...but over the course of a week, it averages out and I lose weight.

It's the individual's responsibility to appropriately set their activity level. Overestimating activity level is just cheating themselves.
    You too, are missing my question. I give up.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You too, are missing my question. I give up.

lyuPgzG.jpg?1
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Then you are not highly active and will eat too much then gain weight. Like Cwolfman said, it's up to the individual to set their level appropriately.

There are very few absolutes in life.
  • CM9178
    Options

Then you are not highly active and will eat too much then gain weight. Like Cwolfman said, it's up to the individual to set their level appropriately.

I don't mean sit home all day every day - I mean life happens - sometimes you aren't going to be highly active every single day - even if that is what you are typically.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

I don't mean sit home all day every day - I mean life happens - sometimes you aren't going to be highly active every single day - even if that is what you are typically.

You are overthinking this.
  • ssizmur
    ssizmur Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • CM9178
    Options

You are overthinking this.
    How so?
    What I am saying makes perfect sense - I think people are misunderstanding me.

You are set to Highly Active - let's say that equals 350 calories extra per day that MFP is going to assume that you burn during daily activity.
    5 days that week, you go to work and you are highly active as normal.
    Two days that week, something happens so you aren't highly active - and end up sitting on the couch all day, or barely doing anything.
    You still eat the same number of calories.
    You have now over eaten 700 calories for the week.
    How is this overthinking, when it is a fact?

This doesn't mean you are lying to yourself, or setting the incorrect activity level. But on the other hand, this doesn't even out - especially if it happens frequently. I don't see how anybody could burn the same amount of calories every single day, no matter what. Which is exactly why I am saying that it would make more sense to set the activity level to sedentary - so MFP won't assume you burn anything - and then manually enter the calories you actually burned that day!
  • mmimmi1
    mmimmi1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    700 calories more a week averages 100 calories a day. If you have a deficit, 100 calories a day is not going to cause you to gain or not loose.