exercise calories explained

Options

Replies

• loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    while the explanation is great...I'm still confused lol~ my husband insists 1200 cal is too low.(his prefered sight for calculations suggests I need 1577) I eat with the 1200cal as my goal and eat some of the earned cals back.(?)...lifestyle is set at moderately active (changed from lightly~cal goal did not change) Going to get him to read your post and make sure I am doing this right. Thanks for the information
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    while the explanation is great...I'm still confused lol~ my husband insists 1200 cal is too low.(his prefered sight for calculations suggests I need 1577) I eat with the 1200cal as my goal and eat some of the earned cals back.(?)...lifestyle is set at moderately active (changed from lightly~cal goal did not change) Going to get him to read your post and make sure I am doing this right. Thanks for the information
    if you have anything other than sedentary set on MFP, you should not eat any of the exercise cals back, they are already included in the Calorie goal MPF is setting for you.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    if you have anything other than sedentary set on MFP, you should not eat any of the exercise cals back, they are already included in the Calorie goal MPF is setting for you.

not true
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

I don't think they are. When you set up your activity level with MFP it's about your normal day to day activity without exercise. It gives recommendations of occupations for different levels of exercise. For instance, a carpenter who exercised for 10 minutes a day would be "highly active" and a waitress would be "active" because of their jobs. They would then log their exercise and eat back exercise calories. A bank teller who went to the gym for 2 hours a day would be "sedentary" but would also log and eat their exercise calories.

That seems to be the way MFP is designed to work (although you can use it in different ways).
  • CM9178
    Options

I don't think they are. When you set up your activity level with MFP it's about your normal day to day activity without exercise. It gives recommendations of occupations for different levels of exercise. For instance, a carpenter who exercised for 10 minutes a day would be "highly active" and a waitress would be "active" because of their jobs. They would then log their exercise and eat back exercise calories. A bank teller who went to the gym for 2 hours a day would be "sedentary" but would also log and eat their exercise calories.

That seems to be the way MFP is designed to work (although you can use it in different ways).
    This make no sense to me. I will have to disagree, but whatever. I think it makes the most sense to set it to sedentary no matter what, unless you exercise or do HEAVY physical activity for a living.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

This make no sense to me. I will have to disagree, but whatever. I think it makes the most sense to set it to sedentary no matter what, unless you exercise or do HEAVY physical activity for a living.

Except that almost no one is truly sedentary. A waitress will burn more cals through normal lifestyle than will someone who sits in front of a computer all day. Someone who runs a daycare facility probably burns more cals than some office executive. A construction worker, a teacher, etc... all burn more cals than do secretaries and other people with more stationary jobs.

You can disagree all you want, but you're still wrong.
  • SarahLou1111
    Options
    Thank you Jacksonpt - I have been wrestling with this problem since starting to exercise in earnest just over a week ago and reading this has just decided me - I am going to eat back my exercise calories to net my 1200 a day goal and do this slowly and sensibly with the re-education of my eating habits as a happy bonus so once the weight is off it will stay off.
  • Vailara
    Options

It does make a sort of sense when you think that MFP wants you to eat your exercise calories, but that some people are more active than others before they even start exercising. If I change category it tells me that I need 140 more calories if I was a waitress than I would if I was a teacher, which seems likely to me (a waitress would do a lot of walking). Obviously, not everybody works full-time or fits neatly into the job categories, but I suppose you're then supposed to go by which description best suits your day to day activity without exercise (do you spend most of your day sitting, or on your feet, etc.). However, I think it's clear in the descriptions that the activity level is your normal day to day activity through work, etc., and not your actual workouts.

If there weren't different activity levels, then a waiter/waitress would have an extra 280 calorie deficit (the difference between lightly active and sedentary for me). Either that, or they'd have to manually enter their work calories as exercise and eat it back.

What MFP is doing is giving a set deficit for everybody, depending on how much they want to lose (250 for 1/2 lb, 500 for 1 lb, etc.). If two people have exactly the same stats and exercise levels, but one is sedentary day to day and one is active day to day, then the active one will need more calories to have the same deficit. If that make sense!
  • Vailara
    Options
    Maybe this makes it clearer (from the MFP goals section):

"How would you describe your normal daily activities?

Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)

Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)

Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)

Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)"
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Thank you. i appreciate your clear explanation
  • mari213
    mari213 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thank you!
  • Rahsgirl1099
    Options
    Maybe an odd question...but what does "bump" mean?
  • CM9178
    Options

Except that almost no one is truly sedentary. A waitress will burn more cals through normal lifestyle than will someone who sits in front of a computer all day. Someone who runs a daycare facility probably burns more cals than some office executive. A construction worker, a teacher, etc... all burn more cals than do secretaries and other people with more stationary jobs.

You can disagree all you want, but you're still wrong.

There are PLENTY of people that are truely sedentary, including myself. Your statement is not true.
    I have a 9 to 5 job in which I sit at my desk ALL day except to go to the bathroom. I drive to work and the only walking around I do is at home when cooking dinner, or going upstairs to go to the bathroom. If that isn't considered sedentary, I don't know what is.

Yes, some people have less sedentary jobs- but - you really have no idea how many calories you are burning while doing those jobs. Which again, is why I think it makes more sense to set it for sedentary unless you have a VERY physical job where it is obvious you are burning a large amount of calories.
  • CM9178
    Options
    Maybe this makes it clearer (from the MFP goals section):

"How would you describe your normal daily activities?

Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)

Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)

Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)

Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)"
    I understand, but these are SO broad and vague. I just don't think it could possibly be accurate enough.
    Ok, let's say I'm a teacher and I select "lightly active" because I think I'm "on my feet for a good part of the day". But that is totally up to interpretation, isn't it? Maybe I'm really only on my feet for 3 hours, but just standing? Maybe another teacher is on her feet 6 hours and constantly walking - it makes a difference.
    Again, unless it is clear that you are burning a lot of calories during your regular activity (not exercise), I don't see why you'd set this for anything other than sedentary or MAYBE lightly active. I'd rather wear something to determine how many calories I'm actually burning during the day and then log it as exercise, rather than using this vague interpreation of what Lightly active, active, etc really are.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Yes, it's up to interpretation. Everything is... all any of this is is an estimate. You pick a reasonable number and go from there, tweaking along the way based on your experience.
  • CM9178
    Options
    Yes, it's up to interpretation. Everything is... all any of this is is an estimate. You pick a reasonable number and go from there, tweaking along the way based on your experience.
    Doesn't it make more sense to set for sedentary, and then wear something to determine how many calories you are actually burning during your daily activity? Verses, letting MFP decide that for you randomly?
  • Lillypearl62
    Lillypearl62 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Saving this excellent post!
  • MGreensides
    MGreensides Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!! I'm new to MFP and still learning the ropes...after reading your post I've discovered that I had my activity level set in my profile and was still logging my exercise. Make no wonder I haven't been shedding the pounds!!! Hoping this helps to get the scale moving.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Doesn't it make more sense to set for sedentary, and then wear something to determine how many calories you are actually burning during your daily activity? Verses, letting MFP decide that for you randomly?

What makes you think MFP is more "random" than any other site or some device? For a lot of people, MFP is pretty much dead on.
  • CM9178
    Options

What makes you think MFP is more "random" than any other site or some device? For a lot of people, MFP is pretty much dead on.
    How would you know MFP is dead on accurate unless you had a way of calculating the actual calories you are burning in your daily activity? Everybody burns calories at a different rate. I don't see how MFP could possibly determine how many calories a "waitress" burns on her feet during the day.

And here is another question. Let's say you have it set to 'highly active' for daily activity. But you take a few days off work and end up not being as active as normal. So now you aren't burning as many calories as you normally would during the day. If you still eat those calories, you will be eating too many calories for those days.
    Or, if you are usually hightly active at work - and let's say you usually burn 400 calories per day just at work (not exercise). But one day a week, you have a meeting and don't do any physical activity. So if you eat at your goal calories, you will be eating 400 calories too many. So again, wouldn't it make more sense to have it set to sendentary and then calculate how many calories you are actually burning each day (because each day can be very different). It just seems to be that method would be a lot easier and probably more accurate.