exercise calories explained

Options

Replies

• nnoifeld
    nnoifeld Posts: 116
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I have apparently been eating too few calories for a while now! Just changed my profile set-up and will hopefully see a difference!
  • khemory
    khemory Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks OP! I actually posted about this earlier in the week as was confused as to whether or not I should be eating the exercise calories back or not - get it now, thanks :D
  • Craigamears
    Craigamears Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    @Mike, at 62 and 230 your BMR is 2233 and a desk job activity level gives you a TDEE of 2680. So if you set your deficit to 20% less than TDEE you would get 2144 which is as low as you safely can go for the short term. Your current 1700 or so is way below that. If you add your exercise deficit on top of that your body is going into some deep waters. You will burn fat and lose weight for a while but your endocrinology will respond like it is under constant stress (which is is between the deep deficit and the stress of the exercise on the body itself). Cortisol levels will skyrocket, Insulin levels and Leptin levels will also go askew. Now you will be set up for long term failure. You will lose LBM along with the fat.

The wisest choice would be to set your goal at 2144, track your exercise and eat back your exercise calories. Just my 2 cents from someone who unfortunately knows from experience.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Im still rather confused. If you don't account for exercise (i.e. I have a desk job so I would choose sedentary, but I work out 3-4x a week, doing 1 hour of cardio each time, and 30 to 60 minutes of weight lifting) then your daily calories are waaaay less. But the back of nutrition labels base everything off of a 2,000 calorie diet. Yet according to mfp, I should then only be eating 1,300 per day.

BUT, because I lift weights, and it is well known that if you drink enough number and want to up muscle mass, you can consume 1 gram of protein per pound of body mass (so in my case, 126 grams of protein per day), wouldn't that raise my resting metabolic rate anyway? Which means I should be eating more on a daily basis.

And normally, the FDA recommends 1500 calories for someone who is sedentary and DOESNT exercise so why is mfp recommending to me that I eat 1300? O.o
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!:wink:
  • Reza151
    Options
    Bump to have question answered
    Im still rather confused. If you don't account for exercise (i.e. I have a desk job so I would choose sedentary, but I work out 3-4x a week, doing 1 hour of cardio each time, and 30 to 60 minutes of weight lifting) then your daily calories are waaaay less. But the back of nutrition labels base everything off of a 2,000 calorie diet. Yet according to mfp, I should then only be eating 1,300 per day.

BUT, because I lift weights, and it is well known that if you drink enough number and want to up muscle mass, you can consume 1 gram of protein per pound of body mass (so in my case, 126 grams of protein per day), wouldn't that raise my resting metabolic rate anyway? Which means I should be eating more on a daily basis.

And normally, the FDA recommends 1500 calories for someone who is sedentary and DOESNT exercise so why is mfp recommending to me that I eat 1300? O.o
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Bump to have question answered
    Sorry, saw your question on my phone the other day, but forgot to go back to it when I was at a computer. So let's see...

Your calories are way less than what? Not accounting for exercise is the most people use MFP, and in that case is why people suggest eating back exercise cals. MFP gives you a base line, then any cals you burn beyond that sedentary lifestyle you need to eat back. So on a rest day, you eat 1300. On a workout day, you eat those 1300 PLUS whatever you burn during your workout. So your total consumed cals would be something like 1900 on a workout day. The 2000 cals "suggested" by nutrition labels is probably the epitome of a gross generalization across all people. I wouldn't put much stock in it.

I don't understand the first part... "well known that if you drink enough number"? The 1 gram of protein suggestion is based on lean body mass, not total body weight. But yes, that is a rough starting point for most people - 1g of protein per lb of LBM. Will it raise your RMR? Yea, a little, but not enough to make any significant difference.

Again... FDA recommendations are SWEEPING generalizations. As for MFP's suggestions, all it can do is make the calculations based on how you setup your profile. It can't tell if you are choosing unhealthy or unrealistic goals. It can't tell if the number it gives you is reasonable based on your goals/preferences/etc. It's just a calculation. It's up to you to apply a little common sense and some further thought to decide how "right" it is.

Additionally, the number MFP gives back is a calculation and should be treated as such... as nothing more than an estimate. IMO, most people should (assuming they pick reasonable goals) follow MFP's guidelines for a month or so then re-evaluate based on progress.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    - hunger (or lack there of) is not always a good indicator of if/when you should be eating
    - just because something works for you doesn't automatically make it good advice

I think I just fell in love with you. People who say "but I'm not hungry!" have NO knowledge of how the body works... if our body was always accurate of telling us when we were or weren't hungry, probably none of us would be overweight! There are many factors that determine "hunger" and actual hunger is only one of them. Your body can be starving for nutrients but your brain doesn't send the hunger signal. It happens!

Also, yes yes YES to your second point here. Soooo tired of seeing the people eating under 1000 calories or 2g of carbs per day or whatever and sputtering "but it WORKS FOR ME!" Sure, maybe you *lost weight* but at what cost to your health? How much of that weight loss was muscle loss? How much have you damaged your metabolism?

Basically, thanks for posting this because so many people still don't get it and it drives me nuts.
  • LynnieG85
    LynnieG85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post, makes total sense. Hopefully it helps a lot of people who didn't quite get how to log these things. My only problem about eating back exercise calories is that I've not bought a HRM yet (damn lack of funds!) so I have to rely on MFP's suggestion of calories burned ... and as this is a really rough estimate I don't want to eat back the total it tells me in case it's way off!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Thanks for this post, makes total sense. Hopefully it helps a lot of people who didn't quite get how to log these things. My only problem about eating back exercise calories is that I've not bought a HRM yet (damn lack of funds!) so I have to rely on MFP's suggestion of calories burned ... and as this is a really rough estimate I don't want to eat back the total it tells me in case it's way off!

This is a common concern, and it doesn't fully go away with an HRM (as HRMs are just estimates too). Make sure you have the right mindset... that this is a process and to do it right is going to take some time.

Use MFP's calorie estimates as they are, or only use a certain percentage if that makes you feel better. BUT BE CONSISTENT. Log as consistently as you can, then after 3 or 4 weeks judge your progress. If your estimates show you should be losing but you gain, then your estimates are probably off (burning less than you think or eating more than you think) and you can adjust your estimates as necessary.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Good post and good explanation. The only other thing I would add to this post - when people are posting that they are not losing but following their plan is that I would say to check your amounts that you are adding to your diary. I think so many people estimate their serving size and would probably be surprised if they actually weighed or measured at how many times they only put one serving and its actually more like two. I did an experiment one week and weighed and measured everything instead of just estimating and I was really surprised at how many calories it tacked on to my daily - for instance I had been estimating about 100 calories for my creamer and when I actually measured it out I had more like 250 calores in creamer for my coffee.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options

Not to hijack the thread, but to add to it, the following pertains to goal setting based on how much you have to lose:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

what is this based off? what are you using as a source for this information?
  • Reza151
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification! I didnt realize I had so many typos! I looked up my BMR which definitely cleared some of the confusion. According to the caluclator, my BMR is 1388.75. And then, I used the harris benedict equation to calculate my calorie needs: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/. Being moderately active (defined as moderate exercise 3-5x a week) = Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55. So to MAINTAIN my weight I need to consume 2152 calories it seems. I also verified with the personal trainer at the gym and he said that anything below 1900 is too low for me. So since I want to lose 5 lbs, and my maintenance caloric intake should be around 2100, I'll probably shoot fo 1800-1900 calories per day (a little more on gym days).

Though I am finding it hard to get accustomed to eating less. My body got so used to binging, especially at night, that it thinks its hungry much of the time when it's not. Im thinking that my stomach size increased at the high of my disordered eating.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Good post and good explanation. The only other thing I would add to this post - when people are posting that they are not losing but following their plan is that I would say to check your amounts that you are adding to your diary. I think so many people estimate their serving size and would probably be surprised if they actually weighed or measured at how many times they only put one serving and its actually more like two. I did an experiment one week and weighed and measured everything instead of just estimating and I was really surprised at how many calories it tacked on to my daily - for instance I had been estimating about 100 calories for my creamer and when I actually measured it out I had more like 250 calores in creamer for my coffee.

Yep, this is very common. Most people will OVERetimate cals burned through exercise and UNDERestimate cals eaten. Often times by a lot too.
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BeautifulBrownButterfly
    Options
    Bump***
  • welshae
    welshae Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great post and now I get it. But my question is - what if you are eating healthy (80% good/20% cheat), have a sedetary job but w/o hard 5/6 days a week (weights, cardio (never repeating the same machine 2 days in a row), cross fit, muscle confusion, etc) and am not hungry. (est. 60 to 90 min each w/o)

Note: I am 80 lbs overweight. Am middle aged - menopausal AND have PCOS (too complicated to explain).

I'm getting the legs in shape but the budda will not budge. Planks and core exercises have become a favorite - something I always hated but no decline in inches there.

Does the body every get used to the lower calories and eventually cause the stupid *kitten* scale to move. I've lost more inches than weight (13" v. 10 lbs).
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate this post. I am new to the site and feel fairly confident with losing the weight properly but then I add a bunch of friends who are eating under 1200 calories.... and some of those people are putting workouts with 500-1000 calories burned! I don't always eat back all my calories earned by exercising but I seem to be hungry if I don't eat some of them! Seeing how some others are was making me feel like I should eat less but I'm always under my calorie limit so I have now decided.... I don't care what others are doing! I feel I am doing it the healthy way, the long-term way and the way that is right for me! It may take me longer than others but at least it'll stay off forever!!

So thank you to all those giving solid advice out there. It's really helpful!