Replies

• chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Thnaks!!
  • HarlowAudrey
    Options
    Thank you!!!

Quick question: I set mine as active, I work out 6 days a week doing weights and cardio.

If for some reason I miss a workout, does that mean I should eat less that day?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!

Quick question: I set mine as active, I work out 6 days a week doing weights and cardio.

If for some reason I miss a workout, does that mean I should eat less that day?

Assuming you set it to active BECAUSE you workout 6 days a week, then it kind of depends how often it happens. If it's only every once in a while, then no, I wouldn't worry about it. If its every week, then yes (and you should probably change it from active to something less active).

If you set it to active because you have an active job/life, but log your workouts separately, then no you don't. MFP will adjust automatically based on your logged workouts.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    OP you rock - every time i come across one of your posts I save it to my favorites.

Thanks for taking the time to put this up here. :flowerforyou:
  • littlelol
    littlelol Posts: 539
    Options
    will read
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    Ok, I´m quite slow here. I´m confused by all the numbers and abbreviations. My BMR is 1433,7. My TDEE is (as far as I can understand and do the math.... ) 1971.3. (1433.7x1.375) If I withdraw 20% from my TDEE I get 1622.1. Is that supposed to be my net cal.? MFP sets it to be 1200, no matter how active I set myself to be, when I change the goals. I know I´m stupid and I should be able to understand- but I don´t. My question is= am I right, when I believe my net cal.´s should be 1600 and not 1200?

And I apologize for bothering with such a stupid question. :embarassed:
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Ok, I´m quite slow here. I´m confused by all the numbers and abbreviations. My BMR is 1433,7. My TDEE is (as far as I can understand and do the math.... ) 1971.3. (1433.7x1.375) If I withdraw 20% from my TDEE I get 1622.1. Is that supposed to be my net cal.? MFP sets it to be 1200, no matter how active I set myself to be, when I change the goals. I know I´m stupid and I should be able to understand- but I don´t. My question is= am I right, when I believe my net cal.´s should be 1600 and not 1200?

Assuming your numbers are right (BMR=1433 and TDEE=1971), then yes... it sounds like you are on the right track. 1971-20% = 1577 (by my math). So that is your daily net goal.

What did you set your weight loss goal to be? If that's too aggressive, that could by why MFP keeps saying 1200.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options

Assuming your numbers are right (BMR=1433 and TDEE=1971), then yes... it sounds like you are on the right track. 1971-20% = 1577 (by my math). So that is your daily net goal.

What did you set your weight loss goal to be? If that's too aggressive, that could by why MFP keeps saying 1200.

If her TDEE is 1971 and fat loss is -20% = 1577 wouldnt she consume 1577 everyday, not NET 1577 because TDEE already factored in exercise...
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    That number is what you need to be NETTING each day. Period. There is no debate here. The concept of net calories is just like net income... I'm REALLY hoping that doesn't need to be explained.

An optimist, eh? :smile:

We should probably tackle the more fundamental questions like "how much is in a cup" before we move onto more complex mathematics like NET.
  • KayeeDaisyBee
    Options
    Thanks for this info. This and subsequent postings beneath it have confirmed that i have my settings correct and am using MFP the right way.
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    Wow, that's a really GREAT explanation. :) Thanks!
  • RATTER33
    RATTER33 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nillia2
    Nillia2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am still confused...though one minute i understand then the next i don't lol.
    Anyways, if I put my lifestyle as active (only because of workouts, or walking) and I work out 6 days a week (45mins) and my calories have now been changed to 1550a day.
    So I have taken into account my exercise in this...so do I just ignore MFP when I have logged my exercise, and it tells me I have a lot of calories remaining?
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options

I set my weight loss goal to be 1 pound a week, like they recommend. I want it to be steady and healthy.
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I am still confused...though one minute i understand then the next i don't lol.
    Anyways, if I put my lifestyle as active (only because of workouts, or walking) and I work out 6 days a week (45mins) and my calories have now been changed to 1550a day.
    So I have taken into account my exercise in this...so do I just ignore MFP when I have logged my exercise, and it tells me I have a lot of calories remaining?

Correct. If your daily goal of 1550 accounts for your workouts (as you said it does), then you don't need to log your workouts at all as those cals are already accounted for.
  • jennakrysteen
    Options
    This explained it very well for me...thank you!
  • questhaven
    questhaven Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! It really helps to explain things!