Popular movies that you just didn't like

Options

Replies

• Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Bridesmaids - terrible movie. I think I laughed once. Not sure why people liked it so much. And, to be fair, I usually love those types of movies.
    Twilight - ugh
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Lost in Translation ( it lost my interest in the begining credits)
    NYPOLIAN DYNAMITE (WORST WORST WORST EVERRRRR)
    Beastly (by far..... no words can explain the stupidity)
    The Godfather (all volumes)--( please dont hate, i just cant get into it, maybe one day though)
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas-- (wtf) lol
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Bridesmaids - terrible movie. I think I laughed once. Not sure why people liked it so much. And, to be fair, I usually love those types of movies.
    Twilight - ugh

Ditto to both of these.

Also, was weirdly disappointed in The Hunger Games. Seemed right up alley with the dystopian-ness but somehow the movie just lost it for me towards the end.

500 Days of Summer is one all my friends like, it just makes me angry.

All Will Ferrell movies, Napolean Dynamite... the "stupid humor" movies just don't do anything for me.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - as a comic book-style geek, I was supposed to like this and just thought it was the most unentertaining waste of my life, ever.
  • lauralizzy829
    lauralizzy829 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Just bc you don't like it doesn't mean its not good. I agree with a lot of choices (twilight esp), but guess what just bc it doesn't entertain you (or us, the majority at this site it seems) does not mean it didn't entertain the teenagers that it was created for.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Well, I haven't even seen about 90% of the movies named in this thread. Does that mean I just know better? lol

And I saw the first two Twilights and The Hunger Games because other people dragged me not because I wanted to.

I do love Grease, though. I never realized there were people who didn't! :-)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Kill Bill (I like movies with strong female leads but these movies I just... bleh)

Phantom of the Opera, the 2004 musical version with Gerard Butler. (very big fan of Phantom of the Opera in all its forms, but Webber did a p*ss poor job with casting and basically turned a very dark mystery and story of obsession into a Harlequin Romance novel)

Juno (not funny)

Napoleon Dynamite (exactly what was going on?)

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

The Warrior's Way (not a popular movie but this is a movie I abhor. I'm very big into Samurai and their Way of The Sword/Bushido followings and I also know a lot about Shinobi/Ninjas and this movie butchered both then threw everything into the stereotyped Wild West with the last 10 minutes being a fight scene. The rest? Needless garbage and sob stories)

And on another note here's two popular movies I love that everyone else seems to hate or just miss the message:

Black Swan (yes yes I know we had that controversial lesbian scene and Natalie Portman turning into a psycho slut, but to me the whole film was symbolism of balancing the good and evil inside you or, in this case, the White Swan and Black Swan and a pinch of what it feels like to grow up and "free yourself". Plus the soundtrack was gorgeous, I have the final scene's song as my ringtone)

Suckerpunch (again one of those metaphorical movies that twists perspectives at the end but people were expecting tons of short-skirted teens/twenty-somethings shooting guns the whole time. I could sit here and review the whole movie just to point out symbolism but bottom line is, it was a very moving movie with great action scenes and an equally great soundtrack)
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Pearl Harbour.....what a load of umitigated crap that was
    Gladiator
    anything with Jim Carey in it...he is just not funny

martyx
  • stephensmith0929
    Options
    "The Hangover" - I laughed more watching "Hot Tub Time Machine," and that was hardly a "classic"
    "Superbad" - was SUPER BAD!!

i love the fact that you laughed during Hot Tub!!! lol
  • Brieve29
    Brieve29 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hunger Games. I loved the books and was really excited about the movie. It was incredibly boring and I didn't have any connection to the characters.

Napoleon Dynamite - I just couldn't stand it.

Black Swan - Really, really didn't like this until like the last 10 minutes.

Contagion - So incredibly boring
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Just bc you don't like it doesn't mean its not good. I agree with a lot of choices (twilight esp), but guess what just bc it doesn't entertain you (or us, the majority at this site it seems) does not mean it didn't entertain the teenagers that it was created for.

I have to minorly disagree only because I think films who throw away any solid plot just to have an hour and a half of sex jokes, fart jokes, poor slapstick, and general randomness aren't good whether I watch them or not. To me those feed off teenagers and college students with the sense of humor of a 13 year old boy finding boobs on the internet for the first time or the people that leech around on the cesspool site that is 4chan. But, again that is my opinion and others are bound to say they disagree with it and that's fine. That aside yes you are right, just because you don't like something or abhor it doesn't mean it's automatic trash.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Twilight, Titanic and Avatar to name a few!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I have to minorly disagree only because I think films who throw away any solid plot just to have an hour and a half of sex jokes, fart jokes, poor slapstick, and general randomness aren't good whether I watch them or not. To me those feed off teenagers and college students with the sense of humor of a 13 year old boy finding boobs on the internet for the first time or the people that leech around on the cesspool site that is 4chan. But, again that is my opinion and others are bound to say they disagree with it and that's fine. That aside yes you are right, just because you don't like something or abhor it doesn't mean it's automatic trash.

I actually do agree that just because *I* don't like something doesn't make it not good. I hated The da Vinci Code, but can objectively say that Dan Brown is a good writer and I understand why people liked it. I didn't enjoy The Hunger Games (book or movie), but I don't think it was not good in the objective sense. It just wasn't for me.

But there is good writing and bad writing that one can judge objectively. Still, art is subjective and totally in the eye of the beholder.

I can't stand Will Ferrell. I think he is funny in a certain context, but he always takes the joke too far. There were scenes in Taladega Nights that were funny for about two minutes that he dragged out for 10 minutes until it wasn't funny anymore. I had the same problem with Knocked Up and 40-Year-Old Virgin. They were funny for the first 90 minutes or so, but then the joke got old.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Most Adam Sandler mivies.

JM
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Most Adam Sandler movies.
    You took the words right out of my mouth...

and add to that list - most Ben Stiller/Will Ferrell/Jon Heder/Bradley Cooper/Jack Black movies.

all those silly road-trip/girlfriend movies like Hangover/Bridesmaids/etc etc etc. and I never GOT American Pie (despite loving Alyson Hannigan)

Also all those gangster/Mafia movies like The Godfather trilogy, Good Fellows, etc

Apocalypse Now
    Lost in Translation
    Forrest Gump
    Titanic

I think I'll leave it here for just now... :laugh:
  • mattemery
    mattemery Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Some commendable listings here....but by far the worst, most pretentious, "artsy" movie that was nominated for every major awards show.... TREE OF LIFE. Awful! Walked by the same theatre a week after I saw it and they had a sign out front " No refunds for Tree of Life" no other movies....just that god awful acid trip.

^^^^^^^

THIS... Absolutely
  • Pengi81
    Pengi81 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

"Superbad" - was SUPER BAD!!

Finally, someone else who agrees with me on this

I didn't laugh once, and I want those hours back!
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    all romantic comedies

The plot of every romantic comedy:

two people meet. they either hook up then fight, or hate eachother right off the bat

the rest of the movie is supposedly-but-not-actually "witty" banter and supposedly-but-not-even-close-to "funny" situations revolving around why these two people aren't happy with eachother

then in the end there is a big huge moment with epic music when they realize they are truly meant to be together

cue vomit. every romantic comedy i have ever seen has been a drain on precious hours of my life. friends/boyfriends have constantly made me sit down to movies they said were "hilarious" only for me to find out right away what a ****storm of mediocrity and nausia i was in for. Lately I've been dragged through

Bridesmades (where a bunch of psycho *****es are *****es to everyone for a few hours? NOT funny)

I Love You Man (great cast? not about heterosexual romance? STILL FILLED WITH HORRIBLE-NESS)

Knocked Up (oh fun, several hours of two people screaming at eachother intersperced with stoner humor.)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Dirty Dancing... why does every woman like this movie?
    Avatar... didn't hate it. But I didn't like it.
    The Dark Knight. I just couldn't get into it.

I would say Bridesmaids but I didn't think that one was very popular. I thought it was really boring and not funny at all.
    And then there's Twilight. I still can't quite comprehend why these movies are popular.

Oh and Marley and Me. I thought the movie was alright but I could never figure out why everyone thought that movie was "so sad"... Oh no, the stupid, horrible, dog who ruined everything died. ????
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Avatar...the movie equivalent of TL:DR

Napoleon Dynamite...I think I laughed 1 time during the entire movie & questioned why I was watching it the entire time

Twilight...Hollywood purposely went out & recruited the worst actors imaginable and lumped them all together just to punish society as a whole
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Titanic
    Dirty Dancing
    Memento
    Heat