Making the Cut---Jillian Michaels

Options

Replies

• Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Well, although my husband will eat anything and could lose a few pounds himself, I'm starting this plan while he's away for a week! LOL:wink: If it's going well, I'll just tell him his fate for the next 3 weeks!:devil:

My husband could only be so lucky!!! :laugh: He actually makes me envious. He always looks great, and never exercises or diets. He eats all kinds of junk food...and rarely gains a pound. What a brat!!!When he does decide to lose weight...he does it in a week, just by breathing, pretty much!!! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :laugh:
  • Mickie17
    Options
    OMG...I need to tell those of you haven't started this yet....I went grocery shoooing ofr the food, and I went over my regualr budget by $100+ dollars. YIKES!!!! I cannot afford that.

Has anyone else that's done this noticed the same thing?
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Mickie,
    I haven't tackled that yet, but did you buy all of the fish on the list? If so, try less expensive fish. Keep me posted!:smile:
    April
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Mickie,
    I haven't tackled that yet, but did you buy all of the fish on the list? If so, try less expensive fish. Keep me posted!:smile:
    April
    I did, and I did!!! And it was still VERY expensive!!! I went to Costco and purchased salmon patties instead of the filets...two reasons, 1) they were cheaper, 2) they were already they right size portion for each piece...no divinging in half....oh, I take that back....3 reasons: 3) My kids will be more apt to eat it if they can have it on a whole grain hamburger (though they'd prefer good ole white....which only grandma buys....not me)!!!!

The white fish...I went to WInco, their tilapia is less expensive than Costco, and I bought 5 bags of tilapia...that's usually about 5 meals for us...and my husband will eat tilapia without cringing too much! :wink:

My hope is that I have too much in those bulk bags and that they will last me into Week 3...if that's so, then it's worth it. The bummer thing is that I have some nice cuts of red mat out in the deep freezer, that won't be getting used this month....which I purchased a couple of weeks ago, before I decided to committ to this plan.:ohwell:

I made the Moroccan Chicken yesterday, and everyone liked it. :drinker:
  • aprilvet
    Options
    Let me know if your kids eat the dinners! I feel I may be feeding mine a lot of Mac-n-Cheese during this period!:grumble: My son will eat fish but not so much his younger sister!:bigsmile:
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Let me know if your kids eat the dinners! I feel I may be feeding mine a lot of Mac-n-Cheese during this period!:grumble: My son will eat fish but not so much his younger sister!:bigsmile:

You know what, our deal with our kidds is if it's something new, they at least have to give it a good try (3+ REAL bites)...and if it's something they hate they need to try it again down the road. I also model this, because until about 2-3 years ago I didn't like to eat oranges, and until last summer I DESPISED strawberries. SERIOUSLY...TRUE STORY!!! But since I know our tastebuds change, I've always made a big deal in front of the kids to try things again that I don't like....and guess what?? I can't get enough of oranges (or tangerines, for that matter). And STRAWBERRIES, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YUMMMM-O! Oh, and I also just started liking asparagus last summer...but I found I like it grilled "al dente." :wink:

Anyway....my kids really likes the Moroccan Chicken. I hand-sprinkled the seasoning over them individually....so you may want to do the same, and go light on theirs. Tonight we had the Garlic Salmon... I prepared it differently, and less expensively. I sprayed a little oil on the patties, & lightly peppered them...threw them in the oven to broil. While I was doing that, I put a little olive oil iin the pan, with a little garlic and pepper, then put 4-slices of cut-up canadian bacon on to saute. (It tastes less salty to me). Then I spinked about a 3/4 tsp of fennel seed into the mixture....instead of all that fennel bulb, etc....too much work. :laugh: After they were sauteed....I pulled out the salmon patties, flipped them, then topped them with the mixture...put them back in to finish broiling. OMGosh!!!! Get this....my kids scarfed them down, and my husband "the fish hater" LOVED IT!!!! (I say "love," because he said, "that was pretty good."). It tasted so much like sausage...kept reminding me of pizza.
  • Erintrains2
    Options
    I did this back in August. It was great, lost 8 pounds and a pants size. The no cheating was hard...but well worth it.
  • Mickie17
    Options
    I did this back in August. It was great, lost 8 pounds and a pants size. The no cheating was hard...but well worth it.

How did you "beef up" the calories...I entered mine in and fromthe basic meal plan, it's like usually under 1000 calories a day. Did you supplement the extra caloties with thing sof the list we're "allowed" to eat?

Also, did were you able to keep the weight off after it was done?
  • aprilvet
    Options
    How did you "beef up" the calories...I entered mine in and fromthe basic meal plan, it's like usually under 1000 calories a day. Did you supplement the extra caloties with thing sof the list we're "allowed" to eat?

Wow! I thought the menus were complete with the 1400 cals you're supposed to eat per day!:noway: Maybe that's what the extra things are for!:laugh:

I do the same thing with my kids- must eat certain # of bites before I offer another option. I don't really like salmon, but your description males it sound great!
  • Mickie17
    Options

Wow! I thought the menus were complete with the 1400 cals you're supposed to eat per day!:noway: Maybe that's what the extra things are for!:laugh:

I do the same thing with my kids- must eat certain # of bites before I offer another option. I don't really like salmon, but your description males it sound great!

I was shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought, whoa Nelly...this is going to throgh my body in starvation mode. YIKES!!! So I've been supplementing a little with the extras list. (She could have been clearer on this part, I think anyway).

Salmon isn't my favorite either (I LOVE seafood, however I tolerate mild fish because it's good for me), but I will eat it. I was even thinking that if I made those again and then crumbled it all up on a whole wheat Boboli...lightly cover with cheese, my family would NEVER know they were eating fish...one of those "sneak it to'em" sort of things. But, luckily, my kids loved it and want me to make it again! WOW!
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Okay...here I go again...last night the lamb was excellent, and instead of making baked eggplant, I revised it to zucchini, and WOW!!!! That was soooooooooo good. When I revise, I still keep it very healthy, just usually short cut some steps. :happy: My kids both said the zucchini was MUCH better than thought it was going to be. HELLO!!! We are on a roll here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:
  • running4myhealth
    Options
    I couldn't do it. The way she advocates eating really bothers me. I listen to her radio talk show and she's all about eating 1500 calories and exercising your *kitten* off. I can't eat that little and do my usual 2hr workout a day. I'd die.
  • Mickie17
    Options
    I couldn't do it. The way she advocates eating really bothers me. I listen to her radio talk show and she's all about eating 1500 calories and exercising your *kitten* off. I can't eat that little and do my usual 2hr workout a day. I'd die.

Here's the deal...I plugged in her meals into MFP, and they are running around 1000 cals or less a day! I am tryign to supplement, but even today I've only eaten 980 calories (THIS IS NOT A BRAG, THIS ME BEING NERVOUS ABOUT GOING INTO STARVATION MODE), and I can't eat anything else.
    I've been light-headed...but I've been sick wiht a head cold, so I was chalking it up to that...but now I'm starting to wonder??? I mean, I'm little 5' 2.5" so I think I need at least 1200 calories day. Does she have podcasts I can download? Do you know?

But on the positive side, the recipes are great!
  • aprilvet
    Options
    After reading the book and following Mickie's test kitchen (LOL:laugh: ) I was really psyched for this. For me, 1500 cals is fine in the average day. I've found myself adding in a glass of wine:wink: or additional healthy snacks to eat more than that. Can you stream her talk show? I did feel the book was lacking in some detail.:grumble:
  • Mickie17
    Options
    After reading the book and following Mickie's test kitchen (LOL:laugh: ) I was really psyched for this. For me, 1500 cals is fine in the average day. I've found myself adding in a glass of wine:wink: or additional healthy snacks to eat more than that. Can you stream her talk show? I did feel the book was lacking in some detail.:grumble:

Test Kitchen!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Well, since you mentioned it. Peppered Swordfish...well it was too bland for me, but one of my kids loved it. But my sidedish was fantastic!!! I "ribboned" zucchini, and sauteed it for 3 minutes in a little olive oil, and minced garlic. Then added the rest of the diced tomatoes I had from yesterday, and tossed in until heated. Then sprinkled it with parmesan cheese. That was good!!!! And we had whole grain sourdough rolls that I made from scratch. On tap tomorrow in Mickie's Kichen: Apricot-glazed chicken...MY FAMILY LOVES THIS!!!! (But I'm serving with spaghetti squash...I plan not to tell them what it is and see what happen)! Sneaky me!!!!:laugh:
  • Mickie17
    Options
    OMGosh!!! I am sooooo scared I'm going to jinx myself...but I think the meal plan itself IS truly working !!!!! I dropped another 2 pounds...but let's see if I it comes right back on tomorrow...I'll probably gain 5 pounds tonight, with my luck!!! LOL!!!!:laugh:
  • Mickie17
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/41032-mickie-s-test-kitchen-jillian-michaels-making-the-cut-recip

I started a new topic on the Test Kitchen stuff....please feel free to chime in with suggestions on the recipes!!! :smile:
  • aprilvet
    Options
    So, Mickie- how's it going? Are you doing any of the exercises? I plan to start the whole thing on Sunday, 2/22. The recipes do look good, but the exercise for day one looks very intimidating!!!:noway: :grumble: I'm trying to figure out how long it's going to take so I can fit it in to my schedule!:smile:
  • Mickie17
    Options
    So, Mickie- how's it going? Are you doing any of the exercises? I plan to start the whole thing on Sunday, 2/22. The recipes do look good, but the exercise for day one looks very intimidating!!!:noway: :grumble: I'm trying to figure out how long it's going to take so I can fit it in to my schedule!:smile:

Hey there!!!! The meal plan is GREAT! We were just discussing at dinner tonight that this ended up not being as culinarily tragic as we expected!

I'm not doing the exercises from the book until next month. I'm doing her dvd The Shred instead....let me tell you, it kicks my but in 25 minutes, but boy do i feel like I'm getting a GREAT workout!!!!

We talked about next month incorporating her core dinner meals into our monthly menu, with some of our own favorite healthy meals. I'm excited...it's really been good!!!!
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I just got this book last week and I just started the exercise program on Tuesday. It is very intense and definitely not for a beginner. I never would have been able to do this a year ago.

Day 1 took me 51minutes to do 2 sets of circuits 1-4, I ran out of time & did not do circuit 5. I burned 462cals.

Day 2 took me 62min to do 2 sets of all 5 circuits. I burned 628cal.

I have not been following her meal plan, basically because I am already on a similar meal plan and am happy with the results so far. I may try some of her recipes in the future, though.