Comic Books?!

Options

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I'm fed up with comic deaths too, it's just a sales gimmick. Honestly if the character stays dead for 6 months it's an accomplishment.

Cap's back.

Human Torch is dead and back.

At this point I think every X-Man has died at least once..

It's insulting to the readers and has rendered death a meaningless concept in the world of comics.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I just went through some comics I got for free a long while back

turns out I have Deadpool issues #1-3 first print.

I have a lot of other 1st issues, 50th issues, and Marvel 25th anniversary special issues.
    and #1-80 of The New Mutants.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    I'm fed up with comic deaths too, it's just a sales gimmick. Honestly if the character stays dead for 6 months it's an accomplishment.

Cap's back.

Human Torch is dead and back.

At this point I think every X-Man has died at least once..

It's insulting to the readers and has rendered death a meaningless concept in the world of comics.

Actually, a lot of the X-Men are dead.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    I just went through some comics I got for free a long while back

turns out I have Deadpool issues #1-3 first print.

I have a lot of other 1st issues, 50th issues, and Marvel 25th anniversary special issues.
    and #1-80 of The New Mutants.

I have all of Deadpool's comics X_X
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Dark Horse
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    (I'm giddy like a school girl that started this thread.)

WTF?!?! TORCH IS BACK?!?!?!

I don't think anyone at Marvel has come up with an original character in a long time. Some of the villains turned good seemed like a good idea. At this point, I wouldn't mind a retcon or reboot. The Ultimate series is a total chicken $#it way of toying with the idea of a retcon but not committing to it.

DC had some massively awesome cross-title events. Identity Crisis was legendary.

I'm all for girl heroes. I just don't think they should be predictable rip-offs of the other gender. There has to be some original ideas left out there. Maybe it's time to end some of these heros... turn them evil... kill them... whatever. Here's a mini series that I'd read: Frank Castle becomes an evil Ghost Rider and a neice tries to stop him. Shoot, take some risks with the story writing.
  • Jovialation
    Options
    This thread spawned conversations I know very little about...I feel silly having started it.

BUT ...I spent my childhood surrounded with comics, but my dad wouldn't let me read em. So Im going back and buying collections of classic Xmen and Deadpool and such...because in the long run it's cheaper and will last longer
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    This thread spawned conversations I know very little about...I feel silly having started it.

BUT ...I spent my childhood surrounded with comics, but my dad wouldn't let me read em. So Im going back and buying collections of classic Xmen and Deadpool and such...because in the long run it's cheaper and will last longer

You can download them too, hun! Most mine are on hard drives now. I do have physical copies, but mainly X-Men are only worth buying IMO. I have been a huge X-Men fan my whole life.. I got a little too excited when I saw this thread, lol
  • tomomatic
    Options

You have excellent tastes. Also, I'm not letting my daughters read comics for a while anyways.

Have you looked into getting digital back issues? CBR's look good on an iPad, TouchPad or Android tablet. And it takes up a LOT less space on the book shelf.
  • Jovialation
    Options
    lol oh I know I can download them, but comic books are one of few things that I like to have physical copies of.

I dont even know why, I just do. I def want the Classic Xmen and Classic Deadpool collections, but Im sure ill never catch up.

Partially because I kind of hate the new art in Xmen. A lot.

@tom as far as digital copies, see above. I like the space taken by comics I guess.
    Also my dad wouldn't let me read his comics because he kept them all in amazing condition. My poor brother just had to go through them and re-organize them all.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options

You have excellent tastes. Also, I'm not letting my daughters read comics for a while anyways.

Have you looked into getting digital back issues? CBR's look good on an iPad, TouchPad or Android tablet. And it takes up a LOT less space on the book shelf.

PFFT, let your daughters read comics when they're old enough to understand they're not able to regenerate health, lol. I use CBRs as well, I recommend them over physical copies now. I DO have physical, but I prefer digital. I can hide my inner nerd from people when they come over too >_>
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    I encourage my daughter's love of Lenore by Roman Dirge. I really shouldn't, but damn if I don't think they're funny too.
  • Jovialation
    Options
    I love Lenore!
    Id let my kids read that if (I had any)

I would not, however, let them read Jhonen's comics until later in life.
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options
    Our big kids aren't reading any (yet...) but they have seen most of the kid-appropriate movies and have oodles of figures (natch). My son is kind of obsessed with all things Iron Man right now. And Captain America.
  • tomomatic
    Options
    I have a 3 and 6 year old. My 6 year old is reading Garfield right now and really into Pokemon. The only exposure to comic books that they've had is Young Justice episodes. The younger one sometimes gets upset about the villains being scary. Shoot, she sometimes hides her face and cries about Team Rocket being scary on episodes of Pokemon.

I have take my daughters to the comic book shop with me. The 3 year old tries to bring me comics from the shelves that she thinks I'll like (and I go into conniptions about not touching anything in the store). The 6 year old is starting to learn about being careful with her books. If she understands how to keep things in mint condition, I'd let her read my old comics. For now, my heart can't take it.
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options
    I have a 3 and 6 year old. My 6 year old is reading Garfield right now and really into Pokemon. The only exposure to comic books that they've had is Young Justice episodes. The younger one sometimes gets upset about the villains being scary. Shoot, she sometimes hides her face and cries about Team Rocket being scary on episodes of Pokemon.

I have take my daughters to the comic book shop with me. The 3 year old tries to bring me comics from the shelves that she thinks I'll like (and I go into conniptions about not touching anything in the store). The 6 year old is starting to learn about being careful with her books. If she understands how to keep things in mint condition, I'd let her read my old comics. For now, my heart can't take it.

Our oldest is 8, the twins are 6 (baby 15 months). They have been immersed in Daddy's comic world since birth :laugh: so they are surprisingly blasé about stuff that would have freaked me out at their age. :smile: Have you shown your kids Super Hero Squad...it's a lot more cutesy.
    My kids watch them all...Justice League, Young Justice, Batman the Brave and the Bold, The Avengers, Teen Titans, Iron Man Armored Adventures, X-Men Evolution (my personal favorite!) etc. etc. Not only is Daddy a comic book geek, he also obsessively collects DVDs, so they have seasons upon seasons of comic related cartoons. :laugh:
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I used to be obsessed with Spawn when it first came out. I had each one every week, 1 copy to read and 1 copy to save. I wish I would have kept up with it and not quit collecting.
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Have a huge infatuation with The Avengers. Every single one of the heroes and villains :)
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I used to be obsessed with Spawn when it first came out.

LOVE SPAWN!
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    Have a huge infatuation with The Avengers. Every single one of the heroes and villains :)

Avengers is most of what I pull these days. New Avengers especially. I love a team with Luke Cage, Wolverine and Spiderman. That's a great mix right there.