diet cokes...what's ur view??

Options

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it because I don't like it. If I liked it, I would.
    I don't like Diet Coke, either. But I love Diet Dr Pepper.
    Me too.

It's okay. I'd drink it if someone handed me one and I was thirsty.
  • chellie346
    chellie346 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I use to not be able to stand them and started drinking only water, but sometimes I have times where water makes me gag esp. in the mornings, so someone told me about coke zero and now I'm hooked. I have been trying to drink one whenever I want something I shouldn't have because its something I enjoy with no calories. But I probably should cut back and take them in moderation.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I avoid artificial sweeteners like the plague!

Don't ask me why... I just feel like I'm poisoning myself every time they touch my lips. No science to back it up. No "good" reasons.

So... to each his own until there's some solid evidence one way or the other?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I avoid artificial sweeteners like the plague!

Don't ask me why... I just feel like I'm poisoning myself every time they touch my lips. No science to back it up. No "good" reasons.

So... to each his own?

Indeed. As long as people don't start preaching their own opinions as fact.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Well of course they're not good for you, they're full of artificial sweeteners and chemicals. You didn't need us to tell you that though.

I personally don't drink them anymore, but I think it's all about personal choice and balance. If you're drinking 3 Big Gulps a day then I would say you should cut back and look for some healthier substitutes. If a six pack lasts you a week then maybe right now they are a good tool for you to use on your weight loss journey.

That being said, you're down 30 pounds. That's an amazing accomplishment!! In order to do that you've had to make some significant changes in your life for the positive. What I have found in my journey is that it's better to work for progress rather than perfection, give yourself credit for the many positive changes you're making and don't worry that you're diet isn't perfect. Make the small changes that allow you to continue to lose weight, move more, and get stronger and you'll exceed your expectations.
  • chellie346
    chellie346 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Build an eating habit you can live with for the rest of your life.

i like this statement. I try to do whatever to lose the weight then end up hating it and endulge in things i shouldn't have. I havent taken the time to try things that I truly like and will enjoy that are good for me.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I'm not one for diet sodas, especially with the recent research indicating that it might... what? Slow metabolism? Or throw blood sugars off? Something to that effect. (LOL I don't care for the taste of diet sodas, so I never read much into it.) I am a believer in "calories in, calories out", but I think it's short-sighted to ignore that the things we do/eat can effect the "calories out" part of the equation.

I think like most things "moderation" is fine. Personally, I like the taste of REAL Coke or DP over a million times better than diets, so since it's moderation anyway, the real thing isn't bothersome to me. As long as I'm not drinking it often, those calories don't make or break me.

I am not on a mission against sodas, diet or otherwise, but I am also very much not on the bandwagon of considering sodas practically just as good as water. I just don't drink that Kool-Aid, water is the best thing to drink.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    not too keen on coke lol! but omg dr pepper!!!:love::love:

i used to drink gallons and gallons of dr pepper through high school i got that obsessive with it id have a bottle for breakfast, bottle for break time, bottle for lunch and so on and so on .... i never used to eat in high school, it was constantly bottles of dr pepper!! i think i have a dr pepper addiction?! :huh:

soo this year ive had to cut out of dr pepper because i knew it wasnt good for me! i was piling on the weight, i knew that my teeth will drop out.. soo 2011 was a new start for me, im not gunnah lie but it was super hard at first!! but i stuck to it, and 11 months down the line ive had about 5-10 bottles of dr pepper! which may sound like a lot, but when i used to drink about 5 bottles a day and now ive had between 5-10 bottles in the last month its hardly nothing!!! :bigsmile:
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I'm for it. If you like it, drink it.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    but I am also very much not on the bandwagon of considering sodas practically just as good as water. I just don't drink that Kool-Aid, water is the best thing to drink.

Well, from a hydration point of view, diet soda IS practically as good as water. Doesn't really matter if you count it or not, you body will.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Truth, Diet soda is what, 99% water? The body really doesn't notice a difference, it metabolizes the chemicals quite easily (they are just amino acids that the body processes from many food sources all the time anyway,) and uses the rest of the water to hydrate itself.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    but I am also very much not on the bandwagon of considering sodas practically just as good as water. I just don't drink that Kool-Aid, water is the best thing to drink.

Well, from a hydration point of view, diet soda IS practically as good as water. Doesn't really matter if you count it or not, you body will.
    I didn't qualify "from a hydration point of view," because there's more to my body & health than just the one-line of if I'm hydrated or not, kwim?

For instance, actually, I was once told that Diet sodas didn't cause tooth decay. LOL (first off, that's not true). Our mouths are a part of our body, among everything else. :)
  • Andiarena
    Options
    I used to drink tons of diet coke and I quit, and lost 5 lbs! I have way more energy than I ever did from drinking diet cokes. I am sure in moderation it can't be too bad, but I am trying to stay away from the carbonation and since I have a tendency to not just have one here and there I have just decided to not having any is better for me.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    For instance, actually, I was once told that Diet sodas didn't cause tooth decay. LOL (first off, that's not true). Our mouths are a part of our body, among everything else. :)

So does pretty much everything with any sugar in, real or fake. Does that mean you don't have anything with sugar in? If you can do that, more power to you! I know i can't. Everything we take in has something wrong with it pretty much, so it's just up to us to weigh up the risks, and if something is worth it. In the absence of any solid proof of diet coke being bad when taken in moderation, i say go ahead. :)
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    They're good with some rum! :happy:
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I have been severely addicited to diet coke for about 7 years (think between 3 - 15 (yes, FIFTEEN!!) cans a day).

It's certainly kept me on track through regular diets, crash diets and eating disorders and has given me something to enjoy without feeling guilty BUT
    At my worst I had an irregular heartbeat problem due to caffeine abuse (there may have been caffeine pills involved too though :p)
    I have had caffeine poisoning twice from diet coke (not nice, lots of puking)
    My teeth are thin and chipped at the front from all the acid
    I am a very poor sleeper (other factors alos involved here but coke didn't help)

Three weeks ago I started eating clean so I had to drink clean too. I have given up diet coke and switched to carbonated water (for some reason I'm just not good with still liquids). It was hell at first but now I feel good. I don't know if it's having health benefits but I like to think my body is looking a bit healthier on the inside.

However, I'm not going to be a 'never touch it' kind of person. I had some last Saturday night when I went out and I will probably have some tonight when I'm out (it's like my alcohol! ;) ). As long as I don't buy it to have in the house or at work/gym/around and about I figure I can have the odd glass in a pub or restaurant without feeling too guilty.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I didn't qualify "from a hydration point of view," because there's more to my body & health than just the one-line of if I'm hydrated or not, kwim?

Fruit can cause tooth decay. Just saying...
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    They're good with some rum! :happy:
    That's what I'M talking about. OH YEAH!!!
  • gpacheco0768
    gpacheco0768 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been having about 1 can of diet pepsi every other day for a while now, it definitely takes care of that something "sweet" need, without any danger of adding additional calories, and it's not like this stuff is sitting in your mouth and rotting your teeth, so if you are only have some every now and then, along with whatever (even cake!) it's FINE!!!! It's when you overuse (food/alcohol/drugs/etc.) anything the problems start... My only concern had been when I had "heard" that it fakes your brain into thinking you're having sugar, so it starts craving it, I don't know if that's a proven fact or what, but I don't have a rush of urgency to go eat a snickers bar after I have a diet pepsi/coke... in fact, if I drink it and then eat something sweet, the sweet thing is WAY too much... It's all about moderation.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    My only concern had been when I had "heard" that it fakes your brain into thinking you're having sugar, so it starts craving it, I don't know if that's a proven fact or what,

This is the problem. Most, if not all, of the research into artificial sugars are concluded with "May", "might", etc. It's not fact, it's circumstantial at best. It doesn't make me crave sugar more at all. Most people overcomplicate this. The whole point of everything in moderation is that you don't get cravings as you don't deny yourself anything.