Any trick to drink 8 cups of water per day?

Options

Replies

• jolson1375
    jolson1375 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I work an 8 hour day (9 technically with an hour lunch) so what I would do is fill my cup every hour until it was time to go home. If the hour was approaching, I'd drink a bit faster so as to be ready for the next fill-up. Of course, I would continue to drink water after work; but this way I always knew I got at least 8 glasses of water in the day. I've recently switched to a jug which holds 8-8oz glass of water, and it's a real struggle for me to finish it in the day ... I'm thinking of making hour "measurements" along the container LOL
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options
    I have a 16 oz. plastic cup out first thing in the morning and use that same cup all day. I try to drink a full glass (with little or no ice) before each meal. If I can remember that I have (6) 8oz. glasses covered! I also try to remember that hunger is sometimes your bodies way of saying I'm thirsty! so I try to reach for that cup before any in between meal snack attacks. A lot of the time it is because I was thirsty not hungry or 'snacky'.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I have a Tervis 16oz hot/cold beaker that I bought at the Coca Cola Experience in Atlanta this year and it works at treat at work. I'll have a water and another drink first thing then another water mid morning, or a cuppa. I'll always have a drink at lunchtime (usually a Diet coke or water) then I'll have a cup of tea (in that) and maybe a coffee (made up in that too). So by the time I finish work and either go home or to the gym, I've had at least 4/5 x 16oz glasses of fluid! I include water, tea, coffee, pop in my water allowance! Plus, for every 15 mins of exercise, I'm sure you're meant to have a 250ml (8oz) of water to rehydrate! Don't wait until you get thirsty....get a large glass on your desk and if it's there, you'll drink it! When I get home, I'll usually have 1 or 2 decaf teas in a normal 8oz cup so I tend to have at least 10 glasses a day!

Hope that helps!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I really don't get the way people think on this site. When people ask about food, the common answer tends to be "listen to your body, only eat if you are hungry," etc. Yet, when the topic comes to drinking, it's "DON'T LISTEN TO YOUR BODY, FORCE WATER DOWN YOUR THROAT CONSTANTLY!"

It really is kind of mind boggling, especially since the thirst response is a lot more reliable than the hunger response, since thirst doesn't rely on specific hormonal responses and eating patterns like hunger does.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I really don't get the way people think on this site. When people ask about food, the common answer tends to be "listen to your body, only eat if you are hungry," etc. Yet, when the topic comes to drinking, it's "DON'T LISTEN TO YOUR BODY, FORCE WATER DOWN YOUR THROAT CONSTANTLY!"

It really is kind of mind boggling, especially since the thirst response is a lot more reliable than the hunger response, since thirst doesn't rely on specific hormonal responses and eating patterns like hunger does.

So I guess Physical trainers really know nothing or my text book I am reading as I am in school to certify right now as a trainer. . . .

You don't wait until you are thirsty to drink water, and the water your body needs is based on body weight and activity level. Obviously a sedentary individual or someone who just does light workout is not going to need as much water as someone who is an athlete, but by no means do caffeinated beverages, full of chemicals, count as water. These things are on the contrary not only harder for your body to process, but they are diaretics as well. Your body needs an adequate amount of water for your internal organs to function. The body is made up of approxiamately 70% water, so if you chose not to drink enough you are only hurting yourself, it allows your body to function at an optimal level flushing toxins, fat, etc.

As for all these internet references, if one wants to find something to support an arguement, no matter how far fetched or ridiuculous, it can be found, but how reliable those sources are, are another story. So my advice, if you want to know about how much WATER TO CONSUME. . . go talk to a Physical trainer, or nutritionist. . . Please please, don't trust just throwing that question out into a room full of people and hoping to get the right answer. .

The best of luck to everyone here in their health and fitness journey.
  • KenzieKidwell
    KenzieKidwell Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Strawtop water bottles are the best way for me and do not wate your time with a small one go ahead and get a 25 oz bottle then if you fill it up 3 times you have had more than the base amount!!!!
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I always keep a glass/bottle of water next to me, and I just take sips from it every 10 minutes or so... when it's gone, I refill and continue. Eight cups are gone before you know it.
  • tigersword
    Options
    I'm amused by people talking about how fast they drink their water. If you're chugging 32 ounces of water in 20 minutes, you're just wasting water. Your body can't process that much at once, and just tosses it out. That's why you're going to the bathroom every half hour.

Also, thirst is the best way to gauge how much to drink. The myth that you are already dehydrated if you feel thirsty is ridiculous. Do people believe that feeling hungry means you're suffering from starvation, also?:huh:

If I downed 32oz of water in 20 mins - I would probably explode. I can't drink that amount of water in a short time. It literally takes me ALL day to get in the amount of water I know that I need.

That being said, they say thirst is one thing - but if your mouth is very dry, you have a headache, etc that can be classified as dehydration. So, in a sense - in some cases, extreme thirst IS a sign you're already dehydrated. I can tell when I haven't had enough water - I get a horrible headache, my eyes start to hurt and my lips/mouth get VERY dry. I'll drink 8-10oz of water and within a short time I feel better. Now, I also know when it gets to that point - I better keep drinking the water or I'll feel horrible again.

Each person responds differently.

No, people respond the same to dehydration. There's a huge difference between being thirsty, and getting dehydration headaches. Just like there's a huge difference between stubbing your toe and breaking your foot.
  • tigersword
    Options

So I guess Physical trainers really know nothing or my text book I am reading as I am in school to certify right now as a trainer. . . .

You don't wait until you are thirsty to drink water, and the water your body needs is based on body weight and activity level. Obviously a sedentary individual or someone who just does light workout is not going to need as much water as someone who is an athlete, but by no means do caffeinated beverages, full of chemicals, count as water. These things are on the contrary not only harder for your body to process, but they are diaretics as well. Your body needs an adequate amount of water for your internal organs to function. The body is made up of approxiamately 70% water, so if you chose not to drink enough you are only hurting yourself, it allows your body to function at an optimal level flushing toxins, fat, etc.

As for all these internet references, if one wants to find something to support an arguement, no matter how far fetched or ridiuculous, it can be found, but how reliable those sources are, are another story. So my advice, if you want to know about how much WATER TO CONSUME. . . go talk to a Physical trainer, or nutritionist. . . Please please, don't trust just throwing that question out into a room full of people and hoping to get the right answer. .

The best of luck to everyone here in their health and fitness journey.

Again, caffeinated beverages do not dehydrate you because they are diuretics. And if you disagree, show me a peer reviewed study that says they do, as far as I know, one doesn't exist, because the studies I've read show that caffeinated beverages hydrate as well as water. And WATER is a diuretic, so stop tossing the word diuretic around like it's something bad.

And please tell me, why don't you wait until you are thirsty to drink? Please explain it to me. The body has hundreds of thirst sensors that sense both a drop in fluid levels or an increase in electrolyte concentration on a cellular level, and immediately report this change to the brain, which sends out the thirst signal for you to drink fluids and restore the balance. It's a highly evolved system that's worked for millions of years, why is it suddenly not good enough?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass (which is 16 oz or 2 cups) with each meal and then one glass in the evening. I keep it with me all the time also and having it sort of scheduled helps. I also log it when I drink it so if I check in on mfp mid day and notice I only have 2 cups logged I remember that I need to get on it. :)
  • debbie2268
    Options
    I keep a 20 oz bottle with me everywhere I go. I also add MiO liquid water enhancer. MiO is AWESOME! It's caffine free, has 0 sugar (made with Sucralose/Splenda), 0 carbs, and gluten free. They have six flavors, strawberry watermelon, Fruit Punch, Mango Peach, Berry Pomegranate, Peach Tea & Sweet Tea. The only one that I don't care for is the Sweet Tea. I usually take in 10-12 oz a day, easily.
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options
    Sharing this:

75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. In 37% of Americans the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.
    Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.
    Drinking adequate water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer. It can also significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.
    Article by Jim Carey - Raw Food Coach
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Here we go again!

You need the equivalent of 8 cups of water a day on average, from any source. These sources can be pure water/tea/coffee/juice/soda/milk/fruit/veg etc. It does NOT have to be pure neat water!

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jul/13/myth-eight-glasses-water-day

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/07/wellness-water-8x8-myth.html

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/12/08/the-myth-behind-drinking-8-glasses-of-water-a-day/

As for coffee being a diuretic, so many people just spout that word as a reason, without actually understanding what "diuretic" means.

di·u·ret·ic (d-rtk)
    adj.
    Tending to increase the discharge of urine.
    n.
    A substance or drug that tends to increase the discharge of urine.

Neat water is also a diuretic. The diuretic effect of caffeine is far, far outweighed by the actual water in the tea/coffee. Also, regular consumers of caffeinated beverages will build up a tolerance to said effect, eventually reaching the point where caffeinated drinks provide practically the same amount of hydration as a cup of neat water will.

http://www.divinecaroline.com/22178/46361-coffee-makes-dehydrated-say-what

http://worldofcaffeine.com/2011/06/14/caffeine-does-not-dehydrate/

http://advance.uconn.edu/2002/020722/02072207.htm

http://nomoredirtylooks.com/2011/04/surprise-caffeinated-tea-does-not-dehydrate-you/

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/health/nutrition/04real.html

http://www.sharecare.com/question/does-caffeine-dehydrate-not

http://www.artofdrink.com/2009/12/caffeine-in-coffee-does-not-increase-dehydration-during-hangovers.php

http://www.caring4cancer.com/go/cancer/nutrition/questions/do-caffeinated-beverages-cause-dehydration.htm

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=5552790&page=1#.TrQWc0O5_oo
  • Jocelyn0415
    Jocelyn0415 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a Bubba Keg cup that's 32 oz. I fill that up twice during the day.
  • JazmineSmith27
    Options
    I find that I'll drink more when i carry the 32oz with me and refill it instead of the 16oz.
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    For me I need to have my water with me at all times, even when I'm not thirsty. Just seeing it helps remind me to drink it. Also, for some reason, it's easier for me to get my water in when I'm drinking it with a straw.

Edited to add this... I've read that when our bodies are thirsty, we've actually waited too late to drink the water.

Hope this helps. :smile:

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE.....
    I have to drink it with a straw too a i am not a water drinker at all and with a stra it goes down much easier
  • girllimberlost
    Options
    I fill a 3 liter water bottle at night before I go to bed and set it next to my desk. I use that to fill my 32-oz cup that has a straw (having a straw makes it really easy to drink more water), and I just have it there to drink all day. I shoot for number of ounces of water equals half my weight in pounds, which for me works out to just under a gallon, so when I finish my 3-liter bottle, I have had my water for the day.
  • jasharp021
    jasharp021 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    For me I need to have my water with me at all times, even when I'm not thirsty. Just seeing it helps remind me to drink it. Also, for some reason, it's easier for me to get my water in when I'm drinking it with a straw.

I do the same thing. Water is with me at all times. I have one of those jugs that holds 8 cups of water. I fill it up on the morning and then keep it at my desk the whole day. That way I can see how much I've been drinking. By noon, my goal is to have at least half of it empty. I also find it easier to drink with a straw.

Sometimes I just can't drink water.. at that point I turn to the crystal light flavor packets and put it my cup.

Hope this helps!
  • jodieb3
    jodieb3 Posts: 19
    Options
    You can always drink squash but make sure its the no added sugar one and thats only 2 calories per pint. Tea can make up cups of water only if kept under 3 cups as otherwise it will not hydrate you and have the oppisite affects. The bottle is the best idea, drinking water also helps keep hunger at bay. Most people mistake dehydration for hunger and as a result eat more food, when its water your body needs. Also make sure you always drink water with food, it helps with feeling fuller and not eating as much. Especially after a meal you think, Im still hungry, drink some water and wait for at least 30 mins before you go for a snack.:smile:
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    In real terms it should read 8 cups of liquid. Any more than 2 litres of liquid a day can be harmful. That includes tea, coffee and drinks like coca cola/lemonade. Other than coffee/tea I only drink water. I add a squeeze of lime or lemon (e.g. Berri 99% lemon juice) to the water....makes it tasty.

You would need to drink gallons of water a day for it to be harmful.