What size pants do you wear?

Options

Replies

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Eight months ago it was 46, today it is 34.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    0-4 depending on the brand. I am 110, 5'0. Usually a 2 is just right. 4's are baggy, but sometimes you want to get your baggy on, you know? I have one pair of jeans in 0, an honestly, I think they are lying.
    Yeah, I am mostly 8 in pants and 6 in skirts, but I have one Size 4 skirt that fits perfectly and I am pretty sure it's also "lying" about the size.
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    First thing; "Congratulations!" Second I am really not looking to burst any bubbles but the garment industry here in the U.S. lies... I was wearing a 36" waist when I originated my fitness journey but my actual waist measurement was 39” and when I measured pants the waist was 38” with give for comfort… I then measured all my pants and found that the 36” or 34" tag was just that… a tag. The measurements were always 2 to 3 inches more than the tag indicated. I am not sure how it relates to women’s clothing but I had a girl friend that once told me that when she got to a 6 she couldn’t fit in the sixes that she wore when she was younger (she threw nothing away) so I believe the American clothing industry is padding the numbers and making the sizes larger as to not hurt our egos.

I was actually wondering about this. When I was in my 20's I wore some 5/6's mostly 7/8's and weighed about 120. My first thought was that pant sizes must be bigger than they were 20 years ago! LOL

And 10 yrs ago even ~ I have some jeans from 10 to 12 yrs ago, that are a size 10, I'm in a size 12 but my waist doesnt measure 2 inches bigger than those jeans (according to what I've found online, jeans/pants etc go up one size every 2 inches) I had fits at a few people, cause that really bothered me LOL Glad I'm not the only one whose noticed.
    I'm now not worried about a size, weight or measurement, I just want my freaking stomach FLAT. Thats when I'll be happy LOL
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Started at 168 and size 8/10. Am currently at 145ish and wearing 4s or 6s. I'm 5'10". I know it is size inflation...and it's a bit embarrassing to think I am wearing a 4 in some pants...seriously, if I continue to lose and tone will I be wearing a 2? That's crazy. Not that I'm complaining, but I still have work to do on my body...
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    I wear 28/30 or 5-7. I have a bum like Kim K and JLO. Not always a gift; it's hard to find decent jeans that fit well :/
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    I wear 28/30 or 5-7. I have a bum like Kim K and JLO. Not always a gift; it's hard to find decent jeans that fit well :/
  • StressedChaos
    StressedChaos Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was a 14 a month ago, now I'm a 12. I went shopping last week for jeans and couldn't find any that fit 'right' I tried a 12 and they were too loose, and a 10 was too tight. I bought the 10 and intend to fit into comfortably by Christmas.

I tried on the 10's this morning and they fit. Still a tough tight, but they should be perfect by Thanksgiving instea of Christmas. My new goal is to be in single digits by the first of the year.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    As I mentioned earlier, there's no standard sizing in the US. People in factories just HOLD the pants up and *cut* So it's not extra padding, it's a bunch of cheap-*kitten* pants designed by amazing designers and made by slave labor (I just took a test online to find out how many slaves work for me...35!!!) Anyway...all sweatshop talk aside there's no standard sizing. Back when people cared about quality the sizes were all uniform.
    I'll believe that. I bought two pairs of jeans - same brand, same style - size 10 and 12, and they both fit, although the 12's were slightly smaller. I can wear anything from a 10 to 14, so I just average it out and say 12.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    As I mentioned earlier, there's no standard sizing in the US. People in factories just HOLD the pants up and *cut* So it's not extra padding, it's a bunch of cheap-*kitten* pants designed by amazing designers and made by slave labor (I just took a test online to find out how many slaves work for me...35!!!) Anyway...all sweatshop talk aside there's no standard sizing. Back when people cared about quality the sizes were all uniform.
    I'll believe that. I bought two pairs of jeans - same brand, same style - size 10 and 12, and they both fit, although the 12's were slightly smaller. I can wear anything from a 10 to 14, so I just average it out and say 12.

I've also heard the material is stacked and they're all cut in a pile, so the ones on top might be smaller than the bottom. At places like the Gap and Old Navy, you can try on 3 pairs of jeans the exact same size, and they may all fit a little different!
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    when I first started losing weight I was a size 18-20 now im down to a 13-14 =) I think ill always be a double digit size since I have natural wide hips...most people dont believe me when I say im a size 14, I honestly dont look it...but my wonder hips make it so =)

lowest ive ever been was a size 10...so thats my goal 10-12 =)
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    some brands a 32 some a 34 but a 33 is way nice
  • lhanks89
    lhanks89 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9", 153 lbs and wearing size 7-9 jeans.

I want to get to a solid size 7 in all brands, but it's hard because everyone's measurements and styles are so different.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I was aiming for size 10, but here I am in size 8!

I am a pear shaped 5'7" woman, started MFP at 175 lbs, size 14 (US) and am currently 147 pounds and size 8. I have kept track of my weight and size as I have gone along, click my profile if you want to see the weight/size correspondence.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I was in a tight Size 12 when I started...I am now in a Size 2-4. I skipped all sizes in between. LOL
  • Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    P.S. Pants in the US for women have no standard sizing. That's why one to the next from the same rack will fit differently. Find a brand you like that fits you well and stick with it. What I stated above, a 5 is a junior's size, as is a 5/6 so you will find a women's 6 fits differently.

^ This.

I'm 5'2", and when I started my journey I was at 174lbs. My size 16W Levi's were hella snug, and every time I pulled a fresh pair of jeans out of the dryer I had to do lunges in them just to get them stretched out enough to kill the muffin-top. Now that I'm at 150lbs, size 14 Levis fit me perfectly, but my favourite well-fitting pinstriped trousers are a 12, and if I grab a pair of the junior's size jeans or shorts I like from Target I'll go with a 15.

I've promised myself a pair of those overpriced Lucky jeans when I hit size 8 in Levis, haha. I don't have much hope of going below that even being only 5'2", I've just got big ol' hips.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    When I started I was in a size 18 pants and SQUEEZING the life out of my size 16 dress slacks for work. After losing 32 lbs, I am in a 12/14. I still have 21 pounds more to go and I hope to fit into an 8/10!
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    First thing; "Congratulations!" Second I am really not looking to burst any bubbles but the garment industry here in the U.S. lies... I was wearing a 36" waist when I originated my fitness journey but my actual waist measurement was 39” and when I measured pants the waist was 38” with give for comfort… I then measured all my pants and found that the 36” or 34" tag was just that… a tag. The measurements were always 2 to 3 inches more than the tag indicated. I am not sure how it relates to women’s clothing but I had a girl friend that once told me that when she got to a 6 she couldn’t fit in the sixes that she wore when she was younger (she threw nothing away) so I believe the American clothing industry is padding the numbers and making the sizes larger as to not hurt our egos.

You're correct. I work with tailoring/sewing etc and we've noticed that people wear one size in civilian clothes while a whole 'nother size in uniform.
    I'm a 0-1 in regular jeans but trying on uniform pants, I'm a 6-8. Those sizes would fall off my bony *kitten* in jeans. Also shirts, a size 32 is too small yet I'm an XS in civvies.
    Regular pants are always a bit off in sizing.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

You're correct. I work with tailoring/sewing etc and we've noticed that people wear one size in civilian clothes while a whole 'nother size in uniform.
    I'm a 0-1 in regular jeans but trying on uniform pants, I'm a 6-8. Those sizes would fall off my bony *kitten* in jeans. Also shirts, a size 32 is too small yet I'm an XS in civvies.
    Regular pants are always a bit off in sizing.
    It also depends on the cut of the clothes as well as the brand. Depending on the brand and cut/style, I can wear anything from 4-10... that is a pretty enormous size range. I have an hourglass figure so my 27.5" waist can accomodate a very small size while my 37.5" hips can fill in a larger size.
  • vannie18
    Options
    I used to be a size 22W, this weekend I fit into a size 4 for the first time in my life, I'm still in shock!!!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    4/6 in jeans. 6 is perfect in length but huge in the waist. I'd like to be back to a 3. :)