Half The Man I Use To Be!!!! Next stop 300 lbs. Lost!!!

Options
CyberEd312
CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
Hello MFP,

28 months ago I tipped the scale at 560 lbs. , I hadn't left the house in over 2 years, and I couldn't walk from my recliner to the kitchen. I had a computer chair that I had ripped the back off of and would roll myself around the house. I had not stepped foot inside a major chain store in over 7 years and had been living in severe depression and social phobia fears for the past decade. I finally had my aha moment in may of 2009 and finally admitted that I needed help. So with the help of my wife and family we started the process of doctor visits and getting me into therapy. I was determined to lose the weight naturally or die trying. (No offense to those who have had weightloss surgery, my personal belief has always been that if I can't fix what is wrong in my head then no surgery will make any difference)
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and all the classic super morbidly obese systems (fat liver, etc) I had/have stage 3 osteoarthritis both knee's, torn meniscus both knee's, and a torn ACL in my left knee. I had to lose the weight so on the advice of my Dr. he wrote me a script for Aquatic therapy. After drilling the lady on the phone (do to my social phobia fears) I scheduled an appt. and got up the nerve to go. I lasted all of 10 minutes the first session but committed myself to the process and continued to go and as I did, added more and more time. Over the course of the next year and a half I had managed to lose over 170 lbs. (all in the pool) and working with a dietician to control my carb intake. As the weight came off, my therapist started pushing me to the shallow end of the pool which added gravity and of course more of my own body weight. I was fitted for two DonJoy Knee braces and began injection therapy and 2 prescription pain meds to help with the chronic pain. I began walking the indoor track last fall. splitting my time between the pool and the track and also was able to start weight training a couple days a week. Over the course of the winter and spring I dropped another 70+ lbs. and by spring had entered in my first of several 5k's. I can't run and don't walk very fast but with the help of my braces and pain meds I completed every 5k I have entered. This past week was a major milestone for me surpassing the half way point of my over all weight. 281 lbs. down / current weight 279 lbs. Next stop is 260 lbs. which will put me at 300 lbs, lost!!! I am finishing my weightloss journey before I have my knee's done (It's time to face the inevitable of knee replacements but with the pain I deal with daily. it will be a blessing) My journey has not been easy but I can tell you it has been worth every ounce of blood, sweat, and tears....... My social phobia is still real and I continue to work on it everyday but I am realizing more and more as I go through my own journey (what if) What if there is someone out there who is exactly where I was and my story is all they need to show them it is possible and can be done. So I am taking that leap of faith and stepping out of my comfort zone in hopes of inspiring others... Thanks for reading (Sorry so long lol) Have a Great Day all........

sidebysideb4after.jpg

sidebysideprofile.jpg

DSCF3011.jpg

Replies

• stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    WOW, you look AMAZING!!!! awesome job, you can be really proud of yourself!!!! good luck with the rest of your journey!
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    INCREDIBLE!!!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    You are truly an inspiration...congratulations to you!!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Amazing!!!
  • Wfray_99
    Options
    Very encouraging, keep up the great work and enjoy your new life.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    See...it CAN be done... congrats!!
  • rach2705
    rach2705 Posts: 107
    Options
    Absolutely incredible, hate off to you and all the very best wishes for your future loss.
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    What an amazing accomplishment! I am so happy for you that your hard work and dedication are paying off. I agree that if you can't fix what's off in your head then your weight loss will not last. What a great inspiration to everyone!
  • tamaranash
    tamaranash Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That is so amazing.. thanks for sharing! You are an inspiration.. Tamara
  • cararq
    cararq Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    You really are amazing! I can't even imagine the hard work you've put into attaining your goals--I'm inspired by you! Best wishes and God bless as you finish up! :happy:
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely Fabulous! Congratulations on your life change and success and thank you for sharing it with us.......:bigsmile:
  • Jferg69
    Jferg69 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    That is brilliant mate, well done. you look fantastic....
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Wow! Amazing story and you should be so proud of your accomplishments. You overcame a lot of obstacles to stay on track and it's paid off handsomely! Congratulations and thank you for sharing!
  • Wow...amazing! Thanks for sharing your journey with us!!!
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    That is awesome. Great job.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing!!! GOOD FOR YOU - proof that you can do anything you set your mind to and you can definitely change your life at any age. I have no doubt you'll get the rest of your weight off. Congratulations!!!!
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    That's just INCREDIBLE! You're quite an inspiration... Yay you!!!
  • PearlMarie_3gen_11484
    Options
    You are such an inspiration to us all. Your story moved me to tears. I am so thankful that you shared your story. Good luck on your remaining weight loss, and your surgeries on your knees. :happy:
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Damn sir! You are a real inspiration!
  • mamalula
    Options
    Wow you are a true inspiration and so very brave! Thank you so much for telling your story.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!