The only difference between a "clean" and "dirty" food is...

Replies

• Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    So you don't consider meats with cancer causing nitrates and obscene amounts of sodium dirty? It's within portion control then? Did you know eating deli meats/hot dogs, one serving per day, has shown an increased risk of colon cancer by 21-25 (varying studies)%? http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/a-hot-dog-a-day-increases-your-risk-of-colorectal-cancer-by-21-percent.html
    Did you really just post that??? Who eats a hot dog EVERY SINGLE DAY??? Well, I guess if you look at it over the course of relatively short time spans, like 1 day, then I do.... but really?

ok... so common sense + portion control.

A lot of peoples kids are picky eaters and many parents still feed their kids these types of food as "real food" on a daily basis, which becomes habit forming for them later on in life. If parents ate "clean" foods with their kids over time, this might not be an issue, but for lots of the population who do not care about what they are consuming... just eat within calorie control for "weight management" which is very sad. If it's too easy to eat, requires little cooking, takes forever to spoil and comes from a package, it probably isn't all that great for you.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Is the opinion then that organic eggs, meat, veggies, coffee beans etc. aren't healthier?

Does taste better : )

You can eat them dirty or off the floor BTW.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    So you don't consider meats with cancer causing nitrates and obscene amounts of sodium dirty? It's within portion control then? Did you know eating deli meats/hot dogs, one serving per day, has shown an increased risk of colon cancer by 21-25 (varying studies)%? http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/a-hot-dog-a-day-increases-your-risk-of-colorectal-cancer-by-21-percent.html

It's on the internet, so it must be true.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member

Deli meats and hot dogs get you jacked. It's worth the risk.

No, chicken, tuna, lean beef and extra calories get you jacked, not eating meat squeezed through tubes with pink salts and chemicals. ;)

Trust me Bro all those chemicals and sodium does good things for your body
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

you do know things like broccoli, spinach etc are chock full of nitrates, right?
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Cool_Story_Bro_RE_The_Keyboard_Game-s263x360-169461.jpg
  • Ebbykins
    Listen I'm not one of those serious forum people who eats clean like a freak everyday of my life and lectures people. I'm just saying, you do people a disservice by saying that it's okay to eat certain types of known "dirty" foods on a regular basis that medical studies are showing to be terrible for us. You can go have your hay day, I'm not going to get my panties all tied in a wad over the stupid retorts people are making about a "Dirty" food, everyone should know.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Ok, I'm on the fence....haha

I do agree with ebbykins...however I've developed an issue with all non organic meat and its spreading to dairy, eggs, all other foods...and quickly discovering, organic food tastes better

On the other side...I think everyone will end up with some form of cancer, no matter HOW healthy they are
  • Ebbykins

you do know things like broccoli, spinach etc are chock full of nitrates, right?

You and I both know those are different types of nitrates. ;) As well as in different amounts. There are nitrates in soil that help plants grow... not the same, but good try. :D
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Did you really just post that??? Who eats a hot dog EVERY SINGLE DAY??? Well, I guess if you look at it over the course of relatively short time spans, like 1 day, then I do.... but really?

A lot of peoples kids are picky eaters and many parents still feed their kids these types of food as "real food" on a daily basis, which becomes habit forming for them later on in life. If parents ate "clean" foods with their kids over time, this might not be an issue, but for lots of the population who do not care about what they are consuming... just eat within calorie control for "weight management" which is very sad. If it's too easy to eat, requires little cooking, takes forever to spoil and comes from a package, it probably isn't all that great for you.
    I'm not sure I agree with that absolutely, but I'll concede the general point you are making.

However, those people probably don't much care about the quality of food, never mind their overall health, so they aren't on this site, so the OP's post has little bearing on them.

Furthermore, the whole point to his post was *how much you eat*. It's reasonable to assume that eating highly processed, highly preserved foods every single day over a long period of time is "eating too much", thus making it dirty.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Listen I'm not one of those serious forum people who eats clean like a freak everyday of my life and lectures people.

o-rly-640x474.jpg
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Everything causes cancer -.-
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    hmm...hot dogs are only dirty if youre camping and you dont clean the stick youre roasting it on first :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Listen I'm not one of those serious forum people who eats clean like a freak everyday of my life and lectures people. I'm just saying, you do people a disservice by saying that it's okay to eat certain types of known "dirty" foods on a regular basis that medical studies are showing to be terrible for us. You can go have your hay day, I'm not going to get my panties all tied in a wad over the stupid retorts people are making about a "Dirty" food, everyone should know.

the issue is, how do you label a single food in an isocaloric amount either clean/dirty, good/bad, when in the context of a full and varied diet it might not be bad at all. the key is context
  • Ebbykins

I'm not sure I agree with that absolutely, but I'll concede the general point you are making.

However, those people probably don't much care about the quality of food, never mind their overall health, so they aren't on this site, so the OP's post has little bearing on them.

Furthermore, the whole point to his post was *how much you eat*. It's reasonable to assume that eating highly processed, highly preserved foods every single day over a long period of time is "eating too much", thus making it dirty.

What do you think the rough guesstimate on how much of a % of people on this forum, eat like this to get their "nutrition" on a daily basis. Come on now, we all know we look at peoples diaries. :) I'm leaning towards 70% of the people here eat this as "real food" every day to meet their calorie/macro targets, and I'm being nice with that %.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    You and I both know those are different types of nitrates. ;) As well as in different amounts. There are nitrates in soil that help plants grow... not the same, but good try. :D

This....celery is added to organic hot dogs b/c it has natural nitrates...
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member

This. If you're eating enough processed crap to worry about this, you've likely got bigger problems.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member

Well gee. Cool story. Such a riveting tale
  • Ebbykins
    You guys are funny. :) Once your parents start dying of cancer you'll see "everyone gets cancer" isn't such a lax term. It's worth knowing.
  • Ebbykins

Well gee. Cool story. Such a riveting tale

LOL I'm curious to know what your IQ level is, but I won't ask because that would embarrass you and also be somewhat rude. :)
This discussion has been closed.