Would it be weird to bring my own scale?

Options
13»

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but you wouldn't take your scale to the doctor's office, right? You'll be fine.
    She probably wouldn't spend the weekend at her doctor's office either.

This made me laugh! Good one!
    :bigsmile:
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I would not bring it. Not specifically because of concerns someone will make fun of you, but just.... how do I say this? I love this journey of getting healthy, too, but living life is number one. I'm not going to start bringing a scale around with me, I just think that's overthinking this all.

I'm not a believer in the slave-to-the-scale mentality, anyway, though, I like to go by my clothes, and if anything keep an eye on my inches. If the scale is 2 ounces off, it's just not a life-changer. I'd just wait the day or two and get on with things. :)

Have a great trip!
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'd say take the scale- you don't have to advertise to anyone that you packed it.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that even the same scale in a different place can get a different result. Once when I moved mine to a different spot in the bathroom, there was a 2 pound difference. I personally would just wait and weigh in when you get home.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I'd skip weigh-in all together and weigh in NEXT Sunday.
  • Rhodygarden
    Options
    Do what makes for feel comfortable. As for me, this is a life style change and part of living it to me is learning to stay on track without weighing in. When I go on a business trip or a vacation - I don't take my scale. I weigh when I get home, even if it is on a different day. I do continue tracking my food and work to plan and stay within my calories.

Have a good time!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options

She stated that she weighs herself on Sundays. If she had a doctor's appointment on a Wednesday and Wednesdays was her weigh in day, I don't think she would bring her scale to the doctor's office.

She'll be okay. She can wait until she gets home to weigh herself.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I say take it! Who cares if it's a bit weird? It's for a good cause!
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    LOL. No. Take them with you. There was a post here a while ago where a guy took his scales with him to the docs so he could compare the results!!

Seriously? LOL...I have officially heard of someone more anal than ME. That ROCKS! I feel so liberated! :laugh:
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Anecdote.. we drove from the east coast to the west coast to stay there a few months... packed light, though one thing I *did* bring was my beloved WiThings scale. :D
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options

She stated that she weighs herself on Sundays. If she had a doctor's appointment on a Wednesday and Wednesdays was her weigh in day, I don't think she would bring her scale to the doctor's office.

She'll be okay. She can wait until she gets home to weigh herself.
    Apples and oranges. I suspect she would weigh herself at home as usual before going to the doctor. That's what I would do. I can understand both sides, taking the scale with her or leaving it at home, but I don't think a doctor's appointment is analogous to a trip away from home.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    So what do you vote: bring my own scale or not?
    If you've got the room in your luggage, why not?

In October, my GF and I flew to PA, then drove from Eastern PA to Vermont and then back across the US (my folks are in their 90's so they gave me their car and we drove it home)

http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=3ada4e92161e59878

I brought my scale with me and weighed every morning. My scale is pretty light and it's less than 1" thick so it was easy to carry it in from the car when we stopped for the night.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I can see doing it on a cross-country trip that would take forever, but for a week or weekend? I think traveling with a scale would fit squarely into the catagory of "sweating the small stuff."

Congrats on your loss! Sounds like you're doing great, and I'm sure it will continue even if you miss the scale for a few days.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    So, we're going to my parents this weekend, which I find to be a challenge for a variety of reasons (I won't go into that now). I'll still be able to log in to MFP, so that's no biggie. The thing is, I have been weighing in on Sundays, and it also seems to be my lowest day of the week weight-wise. (I seem to have fairly steady fluctuations if I track my weight daily).

So, is it weird if I bring my own scale to do my weigh-in? My parents have a spring scale and I'm not really thinking it'll be accurate, never mind the differences between different scales. I'm wondering if my husband will really start worrying that I've gone off the deep-end with this weight stuff. I'm also thinking if I don't do an accurate weigh-in, I'll make that into a reason to go off and eat whatever I want.

So what do you vote: bring my own scale or not?

I think I would just weigh in on Monday..........
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that even the same scale in a different place can get a different result. Once when I moved mine to a different spot in the bathroom, there was a 2 pound difference. I personally would just wait and weigh in when you get home.
    This is what I thought of. It might not be exactly accurate anyway.
  • pinup_mama
    pinup_mama Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I can see doing it on a cross-country trip that would take forever, but for a week or weekend? I think traveling with a scale would fit squarely into the catagory of "sweating the small stuff."

Congrats on your loss! Sounds like you're doing great, and I'm sure it will continue even if you miss the scale for a few days.

I agree completely. You're going for a weekend, right? Not a six-month sabbatical. I think you'll probably be okay. :wink:
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Apples and oranges. I suspect she would weigh herself at home as usual before going to the doctor. That's what I would do. I can understand both sides, taking the scale with her or leaving it at home, but I don't think a doctor's appointment is analogous to a trip away from home.

You've stated your opinion and so have I. The words have been spoken. The woman will do what she feels is right for herself.
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    I would leave it home...but that's just me.
  • andy13
    andy13 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would just skip a week.