Do u live where it snows?

Options
sandy2006
sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
We are considering moving to Syracuse New York. My husbands family lives there and asked me what I thought of living there, where there is tons of snow. I am in NC where we are lucky to see a few inches a year, if that. I would like a change but am scared I may regret it once I get there in the freezing temps and snow. If you live where you get lots of snow, what do you think? love it, hate it, pros cons??

Replies

• andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    i live in the uk n we can get loads of snow, and it gets cold here, altho not as cold as it can get in nyc n i hate it. I just want to hibernate during winter :0(

its lovely when you're indoors looking outside, but there's nothing worse than having to drag the kids to school thru the snow, half carrying them!!!

but that's just me
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately. I live in PA and hate snow so much. If I could I'd move to Florida in a heartbeat. I love hot weather !
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I love the snow and the cooler weather, I don't like it when its below 0 but that's not often. I live in WI
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the snow so much....the way people drive in it is a whole different story. I've always lived in Michigan, so I guess I don't know anything different...maybe my opinion isn't helpful, lol...sorry!
  • lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I live just outside Toronto, Canada and the snow is great. Sure it is cold, wet & annoying for driving sometimes... but
    when you live in a place that gets snow, generally you do not have to worry about anything else.. ie. hurricanes, tornados, eathquakes etc.
    just snow... so I like it

Oh, if you do move- Invest in a Canada Goose jacket http://www.canada-goose.com/ (expensive, but you will NEVER be cold)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I. Hate. Snow.

I was born and raised in Michigan - where we see a fair amount of snow. Driving in it is the worst, of course. But, I really don't like any of it. Cold. Ice. Snow. Blech.

I'm considering moving to South Carolina or Florida when my kids are out of school. I NEED to get away from winter.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    We get snow for 4 months straight and there is nothing good about it. I moved here from a place that almost never snows and it was a big mistake. Its depressing its stressful its dangerous Sorry im so negative about it but its just how i feel about it
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Upstate NY has drier winters than downstate. (It doesn't have to snow to be moist in the air.) I prefer the winters in the Adirondacks to those near the beach. They feel warmer to me. So, you may be in a good spot.

Winter Tips: Look for sweaters with some wool in them. A jacket with thermofill/Thinsulate is great, too. (Down is warmer, but does not work when wet.) For work, get a long, wool felted trench coat. Have fun with winter sports!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I'm from Minnesota, so I'm kind of an expert in this. Snow is not terrible. It definitely gets annoying at times, but it helps make winter feel like winter, rather than a blah time of the year where it just gets dark early. You can have a white Christmas too! I wouldn't let snow stop you from moving somewhere, especially if it is a more urban area. I'm from Minneapolis, but go to school in northern Minnesota, and I like winter much better in the cities than up here. It's not unbearable up here, but there is more winter activities available in the cities, and the roads get plowed quicker, etc.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I've lived in both. We actually just moved to Illinois from Florida. For me, I need the changes in seasons. I need the break up and I love the snow. I'm actually an avid skier and not much into the warm weather sports offered in Florida. The weather is also nicer for the kids to play in here too. So it really depends on what you like to do and how much crap your willing to put up with in the winter time.
  • deannasmom
    deannasmom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i live in CT which is at least two hrs away from NY. It snows but usually new york is better than over here. one thing though i know that when it snows there's a parking ban on the streets usually. other than that i think new york is great. sure the winters are cold, but its a great place to live.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    HATE snow!! It may be pretty to look at, but if I have to go out in it, I am not a happy girl!
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I always love the snow when it first comes but by January- February I HATE it. The cycle just repeats. Right now I'm in my loving snow stage. :laugh:
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Its pretty to look at but that's it. I live in Pa. I hate snow. I hate driving in it, hate the cold, hate cleaning off my car, etc. We usually get snow from about December to March here. I guess it depends on the person but I personally do not like it at all. I don't know anyone over the age of 12 who does like it, to be honest.
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have a love-hate relationship with it. It is beautiful and it wouldn't be Christmas without snow but I really hate driving in it. But I also grew up in a rural area where the roads weren't paved as well as in cities and towns so maybe that is why I'm biased. I also have lots of fond memories of sledding and playing in it as children. And how can you forget snow days! But I also hate cold weather. So I'm not much help.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I live just outside Toronto, Canada and the snow is great. Sure it is cold, wet & annoying for driving sometimes... but
    when you live in a place that gets snow, generally you do not have to worry about anything else.. ie. hurricanes, tornados, eathquakes etc.
    just snow... so I like it

Oh, if you do move- Invest in a Canada Goose jacket http://www.canada-goose.com/ (expensive, but you will NEVER be cold)

Great thanks. The coats we have here are def not made for really cold weather
  • atomicpunk1974
    Options
    I live in MN, where we get tons of snow, and I LOVE it! It seems to me that people who find outdoor activities to enjoy during the winter (downhill skiing for me) love the winters, and people who don't have activities like that hate them.
  • Timothytim2
    Options
    Good old Calgary Alberta!
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I HATE SNOW! I live in Saratoga Springs, NY we got almost 90 inches of snow for our total last winter, you will get almost double that living in Syracuse, it gets very old very fast, dont do it! Stay in NC I am moving there as soon as I can to NC best place on earth!
  • wmlpd6
    wmlpd6 Posts: 135
    Options
    I grew up in eastern Kentucky where we would get snow but usually no more than 2-3 inches at a time. Now living in the Chicago area where, well, we laugh off anything under 6-8 inches and just keep going. I loved the cold and snow when I first moved up here but as I get older and the joints object more to the cold it isn't nearly as much fun. The worst part is having to trudge out at 5am in the morning to head to the train station for my commute to work. Brrr....otherwise I can handle it .

The question is, how do you like the snow and cold you deal with now? If you don't like what you get there, odds are you'll like dealing with a lot more even less.