Do u live where it snows?

Options

Replies

• classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I live in New Hampshire, so it is pretty impossible to avoid the snow. Personally, I don't like it. But, I hate the cold, don't do any winter sports, and would rather be sweating my buns off at the beach - it really is personal preference. With the snow storm we just got a few weeks ago, we lost power for over 4 days. Our wood burning stove is the only thing that gets me through the winter :) Yet, I know PLENTY of people who absolutely love it; they love to ski, snowboard, sled, bundle up, etc. If the cold/snow doesn't bother you, I say go for it!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hate snow. Hate cold. Hate hate hate it. :| I've lived in Ohio for roughly 14 years now - before that I lived in North Carolina. Snow is nice the first year, because you've never seen it like it comes down in Ohio. But after 5 years, 10, 15, ARGH! I despise snow. I wish I could move back to NC so bad. It was perfect there.

A few winters ago, my family was staying in Hocking County, where there are a lot of hills and some small mountains. We had a terrible snow storm, and ended up with no power for 2 weeks. A tree limb fell on my husband's car, and even after getting it off, we couldn't get IN the car for an hour because of the layer of ice over it, then we couldn't get OUT of the driveway because of the ice and snow on the road. We were not able to leave the house for 3 days. We were lucky enough that the gas fire place still worked, so that was our heat source, and we stayed a few feet away from it the entire time. I hate Ohio, just mostly because of the winters. It's cold here for about 7 months out of the year usually, and snows about 5 of those.
  • DzyIzy
    DzyIzy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I grew up about an hour from syracuse. Upstate NY is great. There is lots of snow but it is not as bad there because they know how to deal with it. (roads/sidewalks get plowed, people know how to drive in it etc...) Also it doesn't get quite so rediculously cold there, rarely the below zero temps you get in some other parts of the country where it snows.

On the flip side, yes the winter is cold and snowy, but the summers are great. The temps are comfortable 70's and 80's. The humidity is not too high. It is thousands of times better than those horrible summers you have down south. I'd rather have snow than 90/100 degree temps any day.
  • berv0009
    berv0009 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I am from Minnesota, born and raised! I LOVE SNOW. Yes it is cold, yes it is wet BUT It is beautiful! And what's Christmas without snow?!?!?! For me, odd. And as a plus, since we are all part of this healthy and fit community... SHOVELING IS A GREAT WORKOUT!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously!!!! Anyway, I am used to cold and snow and I love it. Curling up with some hot cocoa inside with blankets and watching it snow outside.... so pretty and perfect. And ok, I get it makes driving conditions bad sometimes. But um... DRIVE SLOWER? be careful? You are at risk every time you get in your car whether or not there is snow. Life happens.
  • Susancarole
    Susancarole Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow, you've already had a ton of replies. Not a lot of snow-loving people out there. I grew up in Salt Lake City where there are definitely four seasons. They all have their appeal, but personally I hate the cold and the snow. Wind and rain aren't much fun either. BUT, if you can embrace the winter sports - skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.; and fun things like sleigh rides, building snowmen in your front yard, and sledding in the local park like you were still a little kid, then you will love it. Great tips on here for warm clothing. My last bit of advice would be to work from home or as close as you possibly can to home so you can avoid driving in it under any time pressures. Oh, and forget about cute boots with heels -- even if you can get around with them in the slush, they don't stay cute for long! :flowerforyou: Good luck!
  • Sydney30
    Sydney30 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I live in Wi and love the snow. One of the advantages is it opens up a lot of fun things to do for exercise and just getting outside. Cross country skiing, snowshoeing, sledding, ice skating. You just have to dress in layers:)
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options

I have lived in New England (the true New England area, NH, VT, ME, MA, CT, RI) all my life and reside in southern New Hampshire where it is very common to have slamming winters. I cant imagine having to live anywhere else simply because I grew up with the changing seasons - seeing our fall foliage transition into a gorgeous blanket of snow...

Winter is breathtaking here.... especially when people decorate their homes with colorful Christmas lights and decor.

Winter IS breathtaking in NH. I visited NH/VT in the snow one year. It was so amazing! And yes, you do need to enjoy winter by the fireplace after playing outside in the snow. It's a great feeling!
  • ChefJesse
    Options
    I moved from Jacksonville Fl to Pittsburgh Pa three years ago. It was just on time for "snow-magedon" when we got three feet of snow overnight. I have to say that I love the snow - at first. Early on it's always exciting for me and a great chance to go sledding, snowboarding and ice skating. By Feb, it's just a pain in the butt be shoveling the side walk, and de-icing the car for what feels like the three thousandth time. That said, I moved up hear for family, as well, and I wouldn't change a thing.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I used to live in New Orleans (originally from California) and 2 years ago I moved to Boston. I love it! You get 4 seasons and there are tons of outdoor winter activities. Hubby and I are going to try cross country skiing this winter. I will say that coming from the deep south, I did invest a lot of $$$ in winter clothes because what passed for "winter" clothing in NOLA is usefull for light fall clothes in New England. lol

I love living new places and look at each one as an adventure. Have you visited there in the winter at least?
    NO we only visit in the summer. We are thinking of going this Jan SO that should give me a clue I think
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Here in Quebec, snow is part of life. I LOVE having four seasons. One thing that is great: bugs never really get a foothold or get very big as they mostly die off over the winter and have to start over every spring. Even though we vacation in the south from time to time, the bugs there sort of freak us out, lol! Great pointer, get winter tires on your car before the first snowfall, and no, four season tires are not as good for driving in winter. Get yourself a good goose down coat and a warm pair of boots. There are so many things to see and do during wintertime. It's all in how you decide to adapt. The only thing I may say I hate about snow is the shoveling, but, ever since we got a service to do it for us, it's all good:)
  • fitjunk
    fitjunk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Alberta Canada here. Yes, we get alot of snow. A definate love hate relationship with the snow. Like the snow, hate the driving, love the outdoor sports, hate the winter clothing, love the workouts shoveling snow, and love snuggling in a warm duvet.

The best part of living were its cold is the winter vacations to some place warm!!
    All of the drinking to stay warm!!
    Sitting in a outdoor hottub when its snowing! Sipping on one of those drinks of course.:drinker:
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Wow, you've already had a ton of replies. Not a lot of snow-loving people out there. I grew up in Salt Lake City where there are definitely four seasons. They all have their appeal, but personally I hate the cold and the snow. Wind and rain aren't much fun either. BUT, if you can embrace the winter sports - skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.; and fun things like sleigh rides, building snowmen in your front yard, and sledding in the local park like you were still a little kid, then you will love it. Great tips on here for warm clothing. My last bit of advice would be to work from home or as close as you possibly can to home so you can avoid driving in it under any time pressures. Oh, and forget about cute boots with heels -- even if you can get around with them in the slush, they don't stay cute for long! :flowerforyou: Good luck!

You havent lived until you get a good wood-fire going and barbeque outside in the middle of winter - and the snow keeps your beer cold while you cook! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Planning on getting a fire-pit permit so I can REALLY cook like a madwoman should! Snow wont stop me baby!!!!
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I live in ohio and i get hit pretty good every winter. NY MICH PA and ohio all get a pretty good amount of snow. The last two winters have been really bad by me. Ice that didnt melt all winter long, roads that you couldnt see the RD! Driving is stressful just take your time, dont let anyone rush you. You'll get where you need to go. Besides the driving and slipping on ice and falling down my wood steps that turn into ice, winters not bad. Its cold.. bundle up. Driving sucks, go slow. Those are the "worst" snow conditions. Then you have the sunny days thats its "warmer" and everything glitters and the trees are so pretty covered in snow. Its a love hate relationship =)

My best friends brothers fiancee moved here from cali and she likes it better here. So to each their own.
    If you like winter sports, sledding skiing, snow Mobile. Ohio has some nice areas to do that in. So does NY. ( nvr really been to mich or pa just drove thru them) I think people who live in a 4 season area, enjoy summer and spring more than some one who has beautiful weather daily. Just my personal opinion. We get trapped inside alot but when those nice days come out.. so do we =)
  • HeatherLynne76
    Options
    I am yet another Minnesotan and the way I see it is you need to make the decision based off of why you are really moving. If it's to be near family and friends, in a place where you can build a happy life for you and your family, then it's the place to be!
    I used to want to move far away from here, then my family got older and my friends started having children....Ieaving now would be terribly difficult.
    Snow is an annoyance when you're driving but great fun to play in! (with the proper outerwear..down jackets and waterproof mittens!)
    Good Luck!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Portland, Oregon.

We will see a little snow. Infrequent enough that we actually look forward to it. We're just a 45 mile drive to Mt. Hood if we want snow.

Every couple years or so we will have a storm that locks the city down, but it's for 1 to 2 weeks.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I am from Minnesota, born and raised! I LOVE SNOW. Yes it is cold, yes it is wet BUT It is beautiful! And what's Christmas without snow?!?!?! For me, odd. And as a plus, since we are all part of this healthy and fit community... SHOVELING IS A GREAT WORKOUT!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously!!!! Anyway, I am used to cold and snow and I love it. Curling up with some hot cocoa inside with blankets and watching it snow outside.... so pretty and perfect. And ok, I get it makes driving conditions bad sometimes. But um... DRIVE SLOWER? be careful? You are at risk every time you get in your car whether or not there is snow. Life happens.

Minnesota is one of the nation's healthiest states, so clearly the snow doesn't have too big of an impact on health. I work out indoors so the snow doesn't stop me.

This is interesting: http://www.forbes.com/2010/12/06/healthiest-unhealthiest-states-lifestyle-health-uhc-table.html
    Out of the top 20 states, I know that 16 of them get snow, and I don't know about the other four. Many of the unhealthiest states are in the south, where they get snow.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    If you want to enjoy winter, do a winter sport. My favorite is cross country skiing because you can sight-see as you move. You can purchase good equipment for around $300, and it is cheaper than downhill because you don't have to pay lift fees. Research the cross country trails near where you are going to live, and plan on spending a good part of your weekend on skis. Skiing in the full moon is also wonderful with a group of friends.

Of course downhill skiing is also a rush. There is usually some kind of ski hill, even if you are living on the plains, where you can learn.

Skating is fun. Bring a chair for balance and wear a helmet as you learn now to stand up and skate without falling. There can be great places to skate once you've learned how--from the public neighborhood rink to the lovely skating parks run by the city recreational department.

Rubber tubing, or tobaganning does not require learning. All you need is a hill, and a toboggan or a sleigh, or an inflated inner tube. Great fun!

Remember to dress well. Each sport has different dressing requirements. Cross country skiing requires a layered approach to skiing because your body will generate heat, and you will have to remove layers so as not to sweat and get wet. And you will need to add those layers back as soon as you stop. For downhill, you would wear heavier clothing because you have to sit on the lifts, stand in line to catch one, and the trip down is real quick. And skating/sliding would also require warmer wear, with something that is waterproof on top, like nylon.

And there is always skidoo-ing. No exercise in this one, because all you do is sit on the machine. But it can be great fun too.

So, make sure you make it outside, dress for the weather, know about the dangers of hypothermia, bring a thermos of hot chocolate and trail mix, and have a ball. Those who don't like the winter are those who just stay inside and shiver looking out the window. Embrace the cold weather, and you will never want to move south again!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Those who don't like the winter are those who just stay inside and shiver looking out the window. Embrace the cold weather, and you will never want to move south again!

No, we are the ones that have to commute in it day after day to get to our jobs, not just go outside and play in it:tongue: If I could stay inside with my nice warm fireplace, I wouldn't mind it one bit!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Pros:
    Fun to play in- snowman/snow forts/ snow ball fights/sledding!
    Different sports- ski/snowboard/snowshoe/cross country ski/ ice skating/snowmobiling
    Get to see change of seasons
    beautiful to watch

Cons:
    people "forget" how to drive
    snow shoveling
    ice

I live in Maine. I love snow and would not have it any other way. The change of season is totally worth it. I still run in the winter as in the summer.... I ski and love it. I love hot coco and all the other winter foods that you miss out on in the summer.

Suggestion: buy studded snow tires. Do not mess around with tires and think the 4 season ones work. At very least buy snow tires. (I have summer and winter tires and I switch them off and on every season)
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I am in North Georgia (last 9 years) and am originally from the north Chicago suburbs. Let me just say, I would NEVER go back to that weather and ask myself many times each year why we didn't move down here 15 years earlier! We still very much have all 4 seasons, but our snow lasts less than 24 hours and is rarely more than a few inches. I've never had to shovel or drive in it...it only lasts long enough for the kids to build a nice snowman on the porch and by the next day, all that's left of all the snow is a little bit of their snowman :)