How about instead of "look how gross I was" we say...

Replies

• nboot1
    nboot1 Posts: 41 Member
    I support Lisa, and all of her points. I am 140 and I am not happy with my weight, however i have friends and family that are MUCH bigger than me and I would not dream of telling them how terrible I feel aboutt my size. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech, or being honest. So yes, I stand by my statement. In fact I do NOT support her at all, I kind of hope she gets fat again! Ok, I am going to stop, I don't like to be mean...
  • Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    *NEED HELP!*

I'm looking for volunteers to promise to hold me down and stuff bacon cheeseburgers down my throat if I ever get to the point where I think the size of my butt is more important than loving and supporting my fellow humans.

I hate bacon cheeseburgers. I think they're DISGUSTING. They're full of FAT.

Oh, I'm sorry. Did you think anything I said about myself pertained to you in any way? That's really not healthy, you know. :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    :flowerforyou:
  • I support Lisa, and all of her points. I am 140 and I am not happy with my weight, however i have friends and family that are MUCH bigger than me and I would not dream of telling them how terrible I feel aboutt my size. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech, or being honest. So yes, I stand by my statement. In fact I do NOT support her at all, I kind of hope she gets fat again! Ok, I am going to stop, I don't like to be mean...

you don't like to be mean??? you've got to be kidding! have you read your last 2 posts?? they were definitely not nice or supportive..... and hoping that someone that has lost tons of weight gets fat again becasue you have a different opinion about something than you do is absolutely horrible!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Ah, I never should have suggested we be considerate (and maybe compassionate), especially on Veterans Day. My bad everyone! :laugh:

Ha, I bet you didn't plan on starting a drama-filled forum :laugh:

It was a good suggestion, though.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Pot, meet kettle.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    @ Lucky...seriously, bringing Veteran's Day into it? Yeah, I guess demoralizing speech is much more patriotic than solidarity and bolstering one's community, huh?
    Free speech is important especially when it's unpopular. Sorry. I'm not into candy-coating and pre-worrying over how I speak so I can prevent someone else from misinterpreting it and hurting their own feelings.
    Free speech refers to the government limiting your speech, not to someone suggesting that you should be considerate of other people. Of course you can say whatever you like. That doesn't mean you should. And really, you're implying that it's somehow "important" to say that you feel fat?

I believe it's more important to acknowledge that someone's hurt feelings over my description of MYSELF are their choice, not my responsibility.

No one can make you feel bad without your consent. How I describe my former fat self is my decision and no rational person should allow it to have even the slightest effect on them.

This!!
  • nboot1
    nboot1 Posts: 41 Member
    WOW, you are a teacher????? That is so sad.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Limiting people's speech isn't an idea I like on any day, especially Veteran's Day when we're supposed to be celebrating freedom and all.

It really is about celebrating the people who have fought to keep your freedoms safe. Those who have gave of themselves so that you have the freedom to bring them into into a coversation that they were only drug into because of the date.
  • *NEED HELP!*

I'm looking for volunteers to promise to hold me down and stuff bacon cheeseburgers down my throat if I ever get to the point where I think the size of my butt is more important than loving and supporting my fellow humans.

This
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    so just to get it straight:

if everybody talks the way you want them to, we can all be friends, right?

But if I have a different opinion, and (gasp) defend it, then I'm : a bad person, a hate-monger, and I ought to get fat by being force-fed cheeseburgers?

Right? :wink:

Gotcha. :ohwell:
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Guys, don't you think this is getting out of control and ugly?

Peace :flowerforyou:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    WOW, you are a teacher????? That is so sad.

What's sad is that you're pretty near your goal weight and want to resort to Alli. Instead of cutting down people on the internet maybe you should go for a jog instead.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I can see both sides of this. I know I bristled a little the other day when someone described herself as "very very fat" at 160. That was my starting weight, and I actually felt pretty darn sexy and hot! Most of the time. There was times I felt like the Michelin Man, and to be honest, there's STILL times I feel that way. Today is one of those days. I know logically I'm actually quite thin, but I feel blubby. Damn Aunt Flo. I hate her so much! :explode:

I don't like the idea of anyone putting their self-worth on what they weigh or how they look. I think it's sad that anyone feels disgusting and gross, at any time, size, shape or weight. I know I'm going to go blue in the face if I hold my breath waiting for that to happen, but I'm a firm believer that self esteem should come first. The changes have to happen between your ears first.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    But it is entertaining. It's the age-old debate over "politically correct" speech.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    "Blubby" Ha! good one.
  • WOW, you are a teacher????? That is so sad.

What's sad is that you're pretty near your goal weight and want to resort to Alli. Instead of cutting down people on the internet maybe you should go for a jog instead.

:laugh:
  • Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    so just to get it straight:

if everybody talks the way you want them to, we can all be friends, right?

But if I have a different opinion, and (gasp) defend it, then I'm : a bad person, a hate-monger, and I ought to get fat by being force-fed cheeseburgers?

Right? :wink:

Gotcha. :ohwell:

Speaking of pots and kettles...please tell us how my own thoughts and feelings about the person I want to be relate to what I think should happen to you? I never said anything should happen to you, I don't even know you, and frankly I'm not even inclined to get to know you at this point.
    You're you, honey, and I'm me. There's a big difference.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    There's a big difference.

Definitely.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    I appreciate your kind sentiment. I imagine it's coming from a nice place.

However, I will choose to describe MYSELF as I see fit.

And I WAS fat. Very FAT. And I felt horrible, and disgusting, and I hated it. So I changed it.

The fact that other people started at other weights has nothing to do with my own journey, and if someone wants to generalize the things I say about my former self to their own situation, that's their problem, not mine.

I agree with this.

I was a disgusting fat lazy slob that ate too much at my high weight. That doesn't mean anyone who was (or is) my high weight is the same. I'm not going to say any different because that WAS me.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!